Re: Trailer Bike info

takver

Guest
Kingsley wrote:
> Bought a trailer bike on the weekend... here's my brane-dump before I
> forget it all:

Thanks Kingsley for the brain dump. This evening I just went and looked
at a second hand trailer bike ($195), to put away for my daughter for
next year (when she turns 5).

At the moment we use a Philips Kiddiecarrier 2 wheeled trailer for her
to ride in. We've taken her on one 4 day tour and the trailer meant she
could have a nap in the afternoon. It is possible to tip/overturn these
trailers at speed on gravel roads, as we found out. But children are
protected by a five point safety harness and the trailer frame provided
an effective roll cage. And, of course, she had a helmut on. She was
just a bit shaken.

Full trailers (and their contents) become hard work up hill. Need some
low granny gears to keep moving. So, I'll be looking forward to when my
little possum is big enough to use a trailer bike instead.

Takver

--

takver wrote:
> Kingsley wrote:
> > Bought a trailer bike on the weekend... here's my brane-dump before I
> > forget it all:

> Thanks Kingsley for the brain dump. This evening I just went and looked
> at a second hand trailer bike ($195), to put away for my daughter for
> next year (when she turns 5).
>
> At the moment we use a Philips Kiddiecarrier 2 wheeled trailer for her
> to ride in. We've taken her on one 4 day tour and the trailer meant she
> could have a nap in the afternoon. It is possible to tip/overturn these
> trailers at speed on gravel roads, as we found out. But children are
> protected by a five point safety harness and the trailer frame provided
> an effective roll cage. And, of course, she had a helmut on. She was
> just a bit shaken.
>
> Full trailers (and their contents) become hard work up hill. Need some
> low granny gears to keep moving. So, I'll be looking forward to when my
> little possum is big enough to use a trailer bike instead.
>
> Takver
>

> --

You might find the trailer bike not that much easier than the trailer.
Just on the two weeks I've had mine I'm finding it harder going than the
baby seat was. I think it's because I'm a bit more tentative about how
much I'm rocking the bike so that may change as me and my daughter both
get more confidant with it.

Dave B.

"takver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks Kingsley for the brain dump. This evening I just went and looked
> at a second hand trailer bike ($195), to put away for my daughter for
> next year (when she turns 5).

You could start earlier. My almost 4yo is riding on the trailer bike,
but not pedalling yet. He doesn't want to try "scootering" on a
small bike yet, maybe because he thinks that if he can ride his own
bike then he won't be allowed to ride the trailer bike behind daddy.

The first few rides were *very* wobbly. He now seems to have
developed some balance, or learnt not to throw his weight around.
I can now use hand signals while towing.

As my child learnt to balance on the trailer bike, the slop in the
coupling became less of an issue.

The main use is riding to a playground other than the close one.

> Full trailers (and their contents) become hard work up hill. Need some
> low granny gears to keep moving. So, I'll be looking forward to when my
> little possum is big enough to use a trailer bike instead.

Trailer bikes and an unpedalling child are also hard work up hill.
It is more weight than a child bike seat, but he much prefers to
be on *his* bike than in the child bike seat.