General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Training Week Ending February 27, 2005

Started by Phil M. · · Last activity · 3 posts · 235 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 February 2005
Last activity
1 March 2005
Original author
Phil M.
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
235
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. SwStudio said:

    Greetings, rec.runners! Please tell us about your training
    week and goals.

    Mon 0.00 rest
    Tue 7.07 easy
    Wed 12.09 lt - 4 up, 7 @ LT, 1 down
    Thu 5.02 easy
    Fri 12.00 med long
    Sat 5.01 easy
    Sun 13.82 long
    -----------------------------------------
    Wk 55
    Yr 462

    Week 11 of 18-week training program for Boston, week 5 of 5-week
    lactate threshold phase. This week was a disaster. I caught a cold on
    Monday with a slight fever (101). During Wednesday's LT run I found it
    very difficult to stay at the proper pace. My body just did not want to
    push that hard for so long. Friday's longish run was a little better.
    However, Sunday was not a good day. It was raining all day and in the
    upper 30s. I spent most of the day moping around wondering when I was
    going to get in a 22 mile run. I set out my bottles around noon.
    Finally at 2:00 PM I headed out. Most of the run wasn't too bad, until
    I started to head east into the wind (20 mph gusts) and rain. On top of
    that, I was getting "runner's trots." I had to stop somewhere. I
    decided to just bag the whole thing and stop at 14 miles. I tried
    calling my wife on my cell, but it was busy. I finally had the operator
    break through the line. While waiting for my wife to pick me up,
    standing in my wet clothes, I was getting hypothermic and was shaking
    uncontrollably. About 15 minutes later I saw my wife go by as she
    missed seeing me on the corner where I said I would be. I suddenly had
    this vision of Kate Winslet trying to shout "Come back!" but could only
    muster a hoarse whisper from the frigid waters of the North Atlantic.
    When I got home I immediately got off all my wet clothes and jumped
    into bed with the electric blanket cranked all the way up.

    I guess I should be gratefull I only had a cold and I still was able to
    keep my weekly mileage at a respectable volume. This week I'm scheduled
    for an 18-miler. Maybe I'll see how I feel at 18 and try to make it
    20+.

    Racing Goals:

    Tune-up races for Boston

    3/5/05 Chattahoochee Roadrunners 10K, Atlanta GA
    3/19/05 Leprechaun Road Race 10K, Dublin GA
    4/2/05 Chickamauga Chase 15K, Chickamauga, GA

    4/18/05 Boston Marathon, Boston MA

    Have a great week rec.runners.

    Phil M.

  2. Phil - don't worry. To quote Anders: "missing 1 long run will not make
    an iota of difference" - or words to that effect. I also ended up
    missing my long run this week - that was compensated by a good race.
    While your "disaster week" saw you hitting 55 miles, I only managed
    35...

    Hopefully we can both put in a few solid weeks now ahead of the
    taper.

    Anthony.

  3. Phil M. wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    snip<
    I guess I should be gratefull I only had a cold and I still was able to
    keep my weekly mileage at a respectable volume. This week I'm scheduled
    for an 18-miler. Maybe I'll see how I feel at 18 and try to make it
    20+.

    Yep you should be grateful - that flu I got completely knocked me out for a
    week, then I tried to come back to soon and it lingered another 10 days.
    Nice little article about recovery from illness in Sept's Ultrarunning "The
    Science of Ultrarunning: Can Ultras Make You Sick". The answer is yes, and
    even heavy training can weaken the immune system.

    After a cold the author recommends that "intensive training may safely be
    resumed a few days after the resolution of thy symptoms". To me this says it
    might have been better for you to take an extra day off or walk (gasp!)
    instead of run and/or bag your LT run.

    He goes on to say: "With symptoms of fever, extreme tiredness, muscle aches,
    and swollen lymph glands, two to four weeks should be allowed before
    resumption of intensive training". Makes perfect sense to me coming off such
    an illness.

    "Some runners have robust immune systems that can handle substantial
    training workloads, while others break down at much lower training
    thresholds.... " Obvious, yes, but I think it also has a great deal to do
    with your health history and any number of other factors. Ever since I
    battled illnesses of various types that saw me drop 45 pounds (from a normal
    healthy weight) while living in India, my immune system has been faulty. It
    quite sucks.

    -Tony

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.