Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Re: Troll posts to various cycling newsgroups

Started by SMS · · Last activity · 2 posts · 372 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
27 September 2006
Last activity
28 September 2006
Original author
SMS
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
372
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Travis said:

    I envisage something like a Wikipedia type system where the community
    as a whole work to keep the system clean of vandalism.

    The problem with Wikipedia is precisely the vandalism. I.e., I had
    extensive information up there regarding bicycle lighting. It was
    repeatedly vandalized, I repeatedly fixed it. Eventually I gave up on
    trying to keep the data correct. The people vandalizing it were some of
    the same problem people on the Usenet bicycle groups.

    It wasn't a big deal to me, but I hate seeing the trolls get away with
    spreading their misinformation. On Google, my web site on bicycle
    lighting is the number two site listed when you Google "Bicycle
    Lighting" and number one for "build bicycle lighting" or "bicycle
    lighting facts."

    It's too bad that a few people abuse Wikipedia to promote their own
    agenda. You're going to have the same problem with a Usenet gateway.

    I tried to Google Groups script for filtering, and it works okay, but
    you only get to add people to the filter list when you're viewing the
    whole group (as opposed to when viewing a thread). When you view the
    thread, the posts by the filtered people are still there.

  2. SMS said:

    The problem with Wikipedia is precisely the vandalism. I.e., I had
    extensive information up there regarding bicycle lighting. It was
    repeatedly vandalized

    For which read "people kept removing my personal basis and replacing it
    with more objective information".

    Quoted message said:

    It wasn't a big deal to me, but I hate seeing the trolls get away with
    spreading their misinformation.

    Scharf still an amazing source of irony, I see...

    Quoted message said:

    It's too bad that a few people abuse Wikipedia to promote their own
    agenda.

    Scharf still an amazing source of irony, I see...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.