Re: Tuna in oil - hard to find

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Stan Horwitz, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    wrote:

    > When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
    > come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
    > is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
    > most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
    > always tastes like crap.

    Where do you live? I have no problem finding canned tuna in olive oil in
    my area (Philadelphia). In fact, I have a cat at work which will
    probably be lunch tomorrow.

    Tags:

  2. On Tue 01 Feb 2005 08:56:13p, Stan Horwitz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
    >> come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
    >> is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
    >> most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
    >> always tastes like crap.

    > Where do you live? I have no problem finding canned tuna in olive oil in
    > my area (Philadelphia). In fact, I have a cat at work which will
    > probably be lunch tomorrow.

    You're going to eat the cat?

  3. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
    > > come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
    > > is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
    > > most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
    > > always tastes like crap.

    > Where do you live? I have no problem finding canned tuna in olive oil in
    > my area (Philadelphia). In fact, I have a cat at work which will
    > probably be lunch tomorrow.

    And how will said cat be prepared?
    Predator meat is usually not very tasty......
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  4. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue 01 Feb 2005 08:56:13p, Stan Horwitz wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
    > >> come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
    > >> is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
    > >> most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
    > >> always tastes like crap.

    > > Where do you live? I have no problem finding canned tuna in olive oil in
    > > my area (Philadelphia). In fact, I have a cat at work which will
    > > probably be lunch tomorrow.
    > >

    > You're going to eat the cat?

    LOL!
    That's the way I read that too! ;-D

    I'm sure he meant "invited to lunch" and he plans
    to feed it tuna, but it sure was written funny!
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  5. Katra

    Katra Guest

    wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:58:24 -0600, Katra
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> You're going to eat the cat?

    > >LOL!
    > >That's the way I read that too! ;-D
    > >

    > Same here :)
    >
    > >I'm sure he meant "invited to lunch" and he plans
    > >to feed it tuna, but it sure was written funny!

    > I hope so..... Kitty will love the tuna.... My cats get that real
    > cheap tuna for treats. I wont eat it, but they love it, and it's
    > often the same price as cat food.

    I buy the cheap tuna in oil for my older kitties to encourage them to
    eat more calories. The geriatric cats always seem to get really thin
    before they die, even with regular vet care. :-(

    Orchid will probably not be with us much longer. <sigh>
    And I can't get her to eat the prescription food that would really help
    her!
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  6. Phred

    Phred Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >wrote:
    >> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:58:24 -0600, Katra
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]

    >> >LOL! That's the way I read that too! ;-D
    >> >

    >> Same here :)
    >>
    >> >I'm sure he meant "invited to lunch" and he plans
    >> >to feed it tuna, but it sure was written funny!

    >> I hope so..... Kitty will love the tuna.... My cats get that real
    >> cheap tuna for treats. I wont eat it, but they love it, and it's
    >> often the same price as cat food.

    >I buy the cheap tuna in oil for my older kitties to encourage them to
    >eat more calories. The geriatric cats always seem to get really thin
    >before they die, even with regular vet care. :-(
    >
    >Orchid will probably not be with us much longer. <sigh> And I can't
    >get her to eat the prescription food that would really help her!

    Rellies had an elderly cat some time ago that caught a serious case of
    "cat cold" and wouldn't eat. Vet pointed out cats won't eat what they
    can't smell; so for the best part of a week she dined on excellent
    fresh prawns [shrimps] at about $20/kg. :):):)

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    [email protected]LID

  7. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> When I was younger I think all tuna came in oil. Now it seems to all
    >> come in water and the oil stuff is real hard to find. The oil stuff
    >> is so much better, but I suppose they are catering to dieters, like
    >> most foods now a days, and I am not one that needs to diet. Diet food
    >> always tastes like crap.

    > Where do you live? I have no problem finding canned tuna in olive oil in
    > my area (Philadelphia). In fact, I have a cat at work which will
    > probably be lunch tomorrow.

    LOL! Thanks for a very funny typo!

    --
    Peter Aitken

  8. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Phred) wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > >wrote:

    > [snip]

    > >> Same here :)

    > >> I hope so..... Kitty will love the tuna.... My cats get that real
    > >> cheap tuna for treats. I wont eat it, but they love it, and it's
    > >> often the same price as cat food.

    > >I buy the cheap tuna in oil for my older kitties to encourage them to
    > >eat more calories. The geriatric cats always seem to get really thin
    > >before they die, even with regular vet care. :-(
    > >
    > >Orchid will probably not be with us much longer. <sigh> And I can't
    > >get her to eat the prescription food that would really help her!

    > Rellies had an elderly cat some time ago that caught a serious case of
    > "cat cold" and wouldn't eat. Vet pointed out cats won't eat what they
    > can't smell; so for the best part of a week she dined on excellent
    > fresh prawns [shrimps] at about $20/kg. :):):)
    >

    > Cheers, Phred.

    Very true...
    My vet has sold me a decongestant pill with an appetite stimulant for
    kitties in that condition that works very well!
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  9. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Stan Horwitz wrote:

    In fact, I have a cat at work which will
    > probably be lunch tomorrow.

    That's one funny typo!!!