Re: UK- London + south east muni ride this Sunday (15th August)

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by joemarshall, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm going to ride muni on the North Downs and Surrey Hills this Sunday
    and anyone is welcome to come along.

    The area we'll be riding is near Dorking. This is easy to get to from
    London by train (train from Waterloo to Epsom, then Epsom to Dorking -
    takes about 1 hour). It's also easy to get to from much of the south
    east by car.

    The riding is good, some of the best in the UK. The weather may or may
    not be good, I'm riding whatever, it's up to you if you turn up in bad
    weather. If it looks like rain, bring a waterproof. Also, bring a bottle
    of water, or a camelbak, it's hot out at the moment and there aren't
    tons of places to fill up with water. There'll probably be a stop for
    homemade cake and drinks at some point on the ride, as there's a church
    that sells cake. Depending on how far and where we decide to ride, we'll
    quite likely go past somewhere selling food of some kind too.

    I'm not that fit at the moment or fussed about going miles, so beginners
    are welcome on this ride, although I'd recommend bringing a muni or a
    trials unicycle because some of the stuff we'll be doing would be hard
    on a standard 20" unicycle. If you're choosing between several unicycles
    some kind of muni would be the one to bring.

    Depending on whether we have many cars or not, we may ride stuff
    directly from the station, or we may drive to somewhere near some really
    amazing new riding that I'm dying to show people around.

    Meeting point is Dorking station at 11:00. The 10:06 train from Waterloo
    to Epsom should get you there for that time.

    For drivers, <http://tinyurl.com/5yvq9> is where dorking station is,
    basically it's on the A24, just north of the roundabout with the A25.
    It's well easy to find.

    My mobile number is 07905 696 427. If you're running late, phone it,
    otherwise we won't know to wait for you.

    If you want to tell me you're coming, that'd be helpful, post here or
    email [email protected] with the word muni in the subject line (or
    text me).

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  2. mikepenton

    mikepenton Guest

    aaaarrrggghhh!
    I'll be in Devon :(
    this rounds off a crap day at work nicely... been having to cheer myself
    up by thinking about my ride last night!

    NEXT time!

    --
    mikepenton - up to 35 characters
    mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

  3. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

  4. thinuniking

    thinuniking Guest

  5. mikepenton

    mikepenton Guest

    a saturday ride is a no-go as I'll be too busy but Sarah - monday
    morning would be perfect. I'm in Exeter Sunday night and plan to be near
    Aberystwyth on monday night. I will have my 6-year-old daughter with me
    but she's keen on the idea - and she can be my excuse for taking it
    gently.
    FYI, I'll have my Muni, and Madeleine will have her small bike, but
    she's faster than me on the flat anyway!
    my mobile's 07973 815 683 if you see this after I've left my computer
    on Friday morning. Ben, if you're able to make monday that would be
    great!

    --

  6. joemarshall wrote:
    > *Hi all,
    >
    > I'm going to ride muni on the North Downs and Surrey Hills this Sunday
    > and anyone is welcome to come along.
    >

    > *

    Sounds good, I'll be joining you for that, I can get the train to
    Dorking Deepdene station, but see that there is another one close by, is
    that the one you mean? What sort of Muni will you be riding as I now
    have a choice between a 26 and a 29er. Probably the 26er as you describe
    hard trails.

    Matt

    --
    Matt.P.Herbert - Muni Hungry Newbie

    Two wheels good, Four wheels bad,
    One wheel wonderful.
    Matt.P.Herbert's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5486

  7. keg

    keg Guest

    Hope to attend, will confirm by Saturday. Like Matt I have a choice of
    BA 29" or 26" what is preferred? I'd better have a practice on the Muni
    tomorrow, only used Coker / 29" for the last few months.

    Keith

    --
    keg
    keg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/212

  8. GravityKarma

    GravityKarma Guest

    Will be moving southwards soon I think and will be making more of an
    effort to get out on the Uni Joe so Will be up for lots of downs stuff
    in the near future I think :)

    Joe

    --
    GravityKarma
    GravityKarma's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7479

  9. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    I'd bring a 26" or a 24" muni, not a 29er. I'm not sure how difficult
    stuff we'll be riding, but there's potentially some riding that just
    isn't 29erable at least by me.

    Dorking station is the one just round the corner from dorking deepdene,
    come out of deepdene to the main road, turn right, go along 100 metres
    and the main station is pretty obvious.

    Joe - We're moving up to northernshire (nottingham) pretty soon, so I
    won't be around there to ride regularly after mid september. If you're
    moving in that direction though, you should go do trailbuilding
    http://www.justridingalong.com because that's a really good way to find
    out about trails and meet up with local riders. I suspect I'll be
    heading down to London every so often for other stuff though, I might
    try to bring down a unicycle every time I end up in London, cos I'm
    going to miss those trails.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  10. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    wow, that was one hell of an epic ride. My legs are aching today, I just
    went swimming and I was going soooo slowly. I measured it on the map and
    I can't believe it was only about 15 miles, 15 miles of technical
    singletrack and riding up and down hills doesn't half make you tired.

    It was cool riding with other people, really makes me push myself to do
    things, I rode a few things that I've wussed out on before and hit that
    last downhill with more speed than ever before.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  11. keg

    keg Guest

  12. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    We rode some more stuff on top of Leith Hill, some nice singletrack and
    some bombholes, then headed through all of summer lightning again and to
    Westcott along a singletrack that goes on from the end of summer
    lightning. Then we went over Ranmore common hill and down through the
    vineyard into Dorking. About 5 or 6 miles more I think and not very much
    that wasn't narrow tracks. On the way, I did a little drop that I keep
    wussing out of which was nice.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

  13. Yes, that really was a great day out and I certainly slept well last
    night, it's good to ride with others as I tend to try stuff that I would
    normally chicken out of when on my own. By the way Joe, if that's you
    not feeling very fit then I'd hate to try and keep up with you when
    you're feeling really fit.

    Matt

    --
    Matt.P.Herbert - Muni Hungry Newbie

    Two wheels good, Four wheels bad,
    One wheel wonderful.
    Matt.P.Herbert's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5486

  14. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    Matt.P.Herbert wrote:
    > *By the way Joe, if that's you not feeling very fit then I'd hate to
    > try and keep up with you when you're feeling really fit.
    > *

    I think I might have forgotten how much I've been commuting recently,
    about 20 miles most weekdays now. But I've not been swimming much and
    not doing that much other riding or really long rides.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde