Re: Ulock Justice.

Steve Firth wrote:
> Steven <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Tsk that pesky text won't disappear just because you failed to correctly
>>>quote the post you were replying to you know. But it does mark you out
>>>as a loser.

>>I quoted the relevant text.

> No you didn't.

Altogether now children: "Oh yes he did"

--
Tony

Anon

jtaylor wrote:

> There are three types of people in this world.
>
> Those that can count, and...
>
> those named Steve Firth.

Actually there are 10 types of people, those that can count in binary
and those that can't ;-)

--
Tony

Anon

Mark McNeill <[email protected]> wrote:

> ....how many are there at the start of this line?

I take it you can count?

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> There are three types of people in this world.
>
> Those that can count, and...

Those that use shite software.

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Steve Firth wrote:
> jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> There are three types of people in this world.
>>
>> Those that can count, and...

> Those that use shite software.

Come on Steve I had you down as calling a spade a spade. And calling two
dots two dots.

Admit it then we can carry on Duhg-baiting ;-)

PC Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

> Steve Firth wrote:
> > jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> There are three types of people in this world.
> >>
> >> Those that can count, and...

> > Those that use shite software.

> Come on Steve I had you down as calling a spade a spade. And calling two
> dots two dots.

Believe it or not, the line started with three dots. Your software has
suppressed the leading dot, just like it interprets any line with the
word begin at the start of the line as a binary attachment.

Look:

... (three dots)
... (three dots following a space)

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Steve Firth wrote:

> Believe it or not, the line started with three dots. Your software has
> suppressed the leading dot, just like it interprets any line with the
> word begin at the start of the line as a binary attachment.
>
> Look:
>
> .. (three dots)
> ... (three dots following a space)

OK... so you are now saying that every one of a wide range of newsreaders is
broken.

If I telnet to my server and collect the article manually I still see two
dots - it happened before it got to my server.

Care to elucidate your reasons for why it happens?

(
Empirical Test...

..

PC Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK... so you are now saying that every one of a wide range of newsreaders is
> broken.
>
> If I telnet to my server and collect the article manually I still see two
> dots - it happened before it got to my server.
>
> Care to elucidate your reasons for why it happens?

It's because the body of the post must end in a line that contains a
single period followed by a carriage return and linefeed. However a news
reader shoudl not process a line of dots as the end of the body. It
looks like <something> is getting confused somewhere.

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

PC Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK... so you are now saying that every one of a wide range of newsreaders is
> broken.
>
> If I telnet to my server and collect the article manually I still see two
> dots - it happened before it got to my server.
>
> Care to elucidate your reasons for why it happens?

It's because the body of the post must end in a line that contains a
single period followed by a carriage return and linefeed. However a news
reader shoudl not process a line of dots as the end of the body. It
looks like <something> is getting confused somewhere.

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Nothing that anyone has said indicates that any of the new readers used has
> dropped a leading period.
>
> Except you, of course, but you would say that, wouldn't you.

Get your brain on-line at the same time as your fingers, eh? Since you
appear to be suffering from some form of paranoia, there's not much I
can say to persuade you otehrwise. But the post in question had three
periods in a line and still does on the newsserver.

The stupidty of psycholists apparently knows no limits.

In article <[email protected]>, PC Paul wrote:
>Steve Firth wrote:
>>
>> Believe it or not, the line started with three dots. Your software has
>> suppressed the leading dot, just like it interprets any line with the
>> word begin at the start of the line as a binary attachment.
>>
>> Look:
>>
>> .. (three dots)
>> ... (three dots following a space)

>OK... so you are now saying that every one of a wide range of newsreaders is
>broken.
>
>If I telnet to my server and collect the article manually I still see two
>dots - it happened before it got to my server.

And before it reached Google.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/
7ec03a62d3236685?dmode=source&hl=en

"Steve Firth" <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote in message
> jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Nothing that anyone has said indicates that any of the new readers used

has
> > dropped a leading period.
> >
> > Except you, of course, but you would say that, wouldn't you.

> Get your brain on-line at the same time as your fingers, eh? Since you
> appear to be suffering from some form of paranoia,

Um, it appears you are the one who is delusional. No one but you sees three
dots....

> there's not much I
> can say to persuade you otehrwise. But the post in question had three
> periods in a line and still does on the newsserver.

Which newsserver, please?

> psycholists

Are you inventing spelling as well as punctuation?

> It's because the body of the post must end in a line that contains a
> single period followed by a carriage return and linefeed.

A quick browse of rfc 2822 shows only this:

"The body of a message is simply lines of US-ASCII characters. The
only two limitations on the body are as follows:

- CR and LF MUST only occur together as CRLF; they MUST NOT appear
independently in the body.

- Lines of characters in the body MUST be limited to 998 characters,
and SHOULD be limited to 78 characters, excluding the CRLF."

Where do you find the requirement that a body be terminated as you describe
above?

"Steve Firth" <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote in message

> It's because the body of the post must end in a line that contains a
> single period followed by a carriage return and linefeed.

A quick browse of rfc 2822 shows only this:

"The body of a message is simply lines of US-ASCII characters. The
only two limitations on the body are as follows:

- CR and LF MUST only occur together as CRLF; they MUST NOT appear
independently in the body.

- Lines of characters in the body MUST be limited to 998 characters,
and SHOULD be limited to 78 characters, excluding the CRLF."

Where do you find the requirement that a body be terminated as you describe
above?

"Steve Firth" <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote in message
> PC Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OK... so you are now saying that every one of a wide range of

newsreaders is
> > broken.
> >
> > If I telnet to my server and collect the article manually I still see

two
> > dots - it happened before it got to my server.
> >
> > Care to elucidate your reasons for why it happens?

> It's because the body of the post must end in a line that contains a
> single period followed by a carriage return and linefeed.

Hmmm, I've done some more digging.

The above description (ending a newsgroup post body) does not appear
anywhere in the rfc's I've read.

However, the sending machine, according to rfc 0977, indicates the end of
text with a single dot/cr/lf. This is added AFTER the (optional) body is
sent.

It still does not explain why "Steve Firth" sees more dots than the rest of
the world.

Perhaps he can tell us what he sees on this line following?

..

"Steve Firth" <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote in message
> PC Paul <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > OK... so you are now saying that every one of a wide range of

newsreaders is
> > broken.
> >
> > If I telnet to my server and collect the article manually I still see

two
> > dots - it happened before it got to my server.
> >
> > Care to elucidate your reasons for why it happens?

> It's because the body of the post must end in a line that contains a
> single period followed by a carriage return and linefeed.

Hmmm, I've done some more digging.

The above description (ending a newsgroup post body) does not appear
anywhere in the rfc's I've read.

However, the sending machine, according to rfc 0977, indicates the end of
text with a single dot/cr/lf. This is added AFTER the (optional) body is
sent.

It still does not explain why "Steve Firth" sees more dots than the rest of
the world.

Perhaps he can tell us what he sees on this line following?

..

jtaylor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Perhaps he can tell us what he sees on this line following?
>
> ..

Two dots.

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759