Re: unfair competition rules? (H*lm*t content)

Colin

Guest
Thanks to everyone for all the useful input.

In case I didn't make myself clear in my original post, the ride itself
is only a fun ride, not a race, and it is only a requirement of entry to
the (additional) free prize draw that a h*lm*t is worn.

I can see now that the initial letter is best kept to enquiring who
imposed the condition on the prize draw, and then take it from there.
The suggestions to check the legality of a "free" draw that is not open
to everyone are an interesting and useful avenue to research further
once I know where to direct my ire.

I post a copy of the letter I intend to send below, should anyone wish
to comment on it before it goes in the post. (Identifying names
withdrawn to protect the guilty)

<--begin-->
Dear Dr. X,

Today I was given a registration form for this year's XXXXXX cycle ride,
an event I have enthusiastically attended for the last 2 years, and
intend to ride again this year. I was dismayed to see, however, that I
will be barred from entering the "free" prize draw simply because I
choose not wear a helmet when cycling, a personal decision based upon my
research into their efficacy, and indeed their limitations.

I wonder if you would be able to explain to me whether this is a
decision of the Cycle Ride Committee, or a condition pressed upon you by
the providers of the prize in the draw. It seems particularly unfair
that cyclists with ineffective, badly fitting helmets, perched on the
back of their head with loose chin straps (of which I am sure many will
be seen at this years ride, if past years and public observation is any
indicator) will be eligible for the prize draw when anyone without a
helmet will not be, especially as all cyclists will be equally
contributing to the charitable causes.

Yours etc.

<--end-->

--
Colin

Coincidence is the alibi of the Gods

"Colin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

I suggest the following edits:

> Dear Dr. X,
>
> Today I was given a registration form for this year's XXXXXX cycle ride,
> an event I have enthusiastically attended for the last 2 years, and
> intend to ride again this year. I was dismayed to see, however, that I
> will be barred from entering the "free" prize draw simply because I
> choose not wear a helmet when cycling,

Change the coma to s full stop, and delete the line below:

> a personal decision based upon my
> research into their efficacy, and indeed their limitations.

Include the following:

> I wonder if you would be able to explain to me whether this is a
> decision of the Cycle Ride Committee, or a condition pressed upon you by
> the providers of the prize in the draw.

Change the full stop to a comma, and delete this section below:

> It seems particularly unfair
> that cyclists with ineffective, badly fitting helmets, perched on the
> back of their head with loose chin straps (of which I am sure many will
> be seen at this years ride, if past years and public observation is any
> indicator) will be eligible for the prize draw when anyone without a
> helmet will not be,

Include this section:

> especially as all cyclists will be equally
> contributing to the charitable causes.
>
> Yours etc.
>

> I post a copy of the letter I intend to send below, should anyone wish
> to comment on it before it goes in the post. (Identifying names
> withdrawn to protect the guilty)

I CBA to post my comment to usenet and upset jtaylor, but I like the
letter as it is and entirely disagree with the suggestions made by jtaylor.