Re: Unicycle Term Pronunciation

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by RangerForrest, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. I am a unicyclist but I have never talked to one in person. I read and
    use many common uni terms but recently realized that I don't really know
    if I am pronouncing them correctly.

    Some of the words I am wondering about are:

    Uni
    MUni <---- Mostly this one.
    Coker

    I'm pretty sure about most of these but I just wanted to make sure.

    Any others you want to add would be great.

    --
    RangerForrest - Isolated Unicyclist
    RangerForrest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5539

  2. muniracer

    muniracer Guest

  3. dubmuni2004

    dubmuni2004 Guest

  4. mango

    mango Guest

    ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
    > *MUni is pronounced:
    >
    > "mooneh" *

    lol, to each his own. ;)

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    "I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
    -andrew_carter

    (sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  5. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    Myoooo-neee.

    But I also say Kyoooo-pon not Kooo-pon (coupon)

    And Pirates of the Ka-RIB-ee-yun not Kar-a-BEE-yun (Caribbean)

    To me a moonie is
    1. A follower of Rev Sun Yun Moon
    2. A doll that suction-cups to your car window (like Garfield) that when
    you sqeeze the bulb, he'll drop his pants and moon other drivers.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  6. GILD

    GILD Guest

    Memphis Mud wrote:
    > *To me a moonie is
    >
    > 2. A doll that suction-cups to your car window (like Garfield) that
    > when you sqeeze the bulb, he'll drop his pants and moon other drivers.
    > *

    i'm going to have a seriously giggly weekend...

    i say mjoenie
    coker is kouker

    --
    GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

    -ORIGINALLY POSTED BY A FELLOW UNICYCLIST IN A MOMENT OF SUBLIME
    INSIGHT-

    "On the subject of 'significant others' it is a matter of timing and
    topic whether 'significant' or 'other' is the defining word in that
    phrase."
    '[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
    (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)
    Namaste!
    Dave

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:07:58 -0500, "GILD" wrote:

    >i say mjoenie

    GILD, based on your written English (and that one spoken joke on the
    radio) I never doubted you are a native English speaker but this
    phonetisation (sp) of MUni makes more sense if it is based on
    Suidafrikaans (or Dutch for that matter). So?

    BTW, in English I think (and) I say m-you-knee. But in Dutch I say
    muu-knee (English fonetisation, although uu signifies a vowel not
    occurring in English. In Dutch uu does occur, and also e.g. in French
    (u) and German (ue or ΓΌ).

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system

  8. sarah.miller

    sarah.miller Guest

    RangerForrest wrote:
    > *
    > Uni
    > MUni <---- Mostly this one.
    > Coker
    > *

    You knee
    mew knee
    co cur / coke er the same sound I just can't think which is the best
    way to write it clearly

    these are the common pronouciations in england. There are people who are
    not on the uni scene who will use other variations.

    --
    sarah.miller - unicycist
    sarah.miller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1694

  9. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Uni is yoo nee, as in university, universal, uniform, unicycle.

    MUni is like uni with an M, so Myooni.

    Coker rhymes with poker, stoker, joker

    --
    Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

    So many pedestrians tell me I've lost a wheel.

  10. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    sarah.miller wrote:
    > *these are the common pronouciations in england.*

    The word Muni (MUni) comes from England. Take the English' word for that
    one. Coker is a tire company in the US. That name is also pronounced as
    has been described.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
    taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
    from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
    whole van!

  11. uniextreme

    uniextreme Guest

  12. uniextreme

    uniextreme Guest

  13. hopeful

    hopeful Guest

    Yuni, as i understand it, rhymes with uni and Muni, but with a Y...

    [yew-knee] but of course, these are all one-syllable words, so trying
    to break them up phonetically dosen't really do it justice.

    now that I think of it, Yuni and uni sound pretty much the same...
    unless I am mistaken.

    --
    hopeful - revelling in the glory of 700c

    a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur

    Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
    hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

  14. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Yuni, muni, uni. Each has *two* syllables. Yup, even for one-wheelers.

    Yuni is pronnounced the same as uni. Kind of a problem when people don't
    realize you're talking about a brand... :)

    So sometimes I'll call the brand "Why-yoo-nee" to make it clear what I'm
    talking about.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
    taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
    from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
    whole van!

  15. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:07:25 -0500, "johnfoss" wrote:

    >So sometimes I'll call the brand "Why-yoo-nee" to make it clear what I'm
    >talking about.

    Please make sure that you're not asking "Why uni?" and then leaving
    the impression that you don't have an answer :)

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    Clearly a system of 1/14 and 1/16 is not decimal - Mikefule on the English weight system