Re: Unicycles, the law, and thou

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by markf, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. markf

    markf Guest

    that's nothing. in DesMoines, there's a law requiring bicyclist and
    unicyclists to not ride holding anything that requires two hands.
    seriously. i'd have to dig around to find the exact code, but its
    understandable for bicycles but not unis. they also included inline
    skating, skateboarding and some other things in needing both hands. its
    weird.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    markf wrote:
    > that's nothing. in DesMoines, there's a law requiring bicyclist and
    > unicyclists to not ride holding anything that requires two hands.

    Does that include the handlebar?

  3. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    Tomorrow i will find out what laws are concerning me in the matter.

    I'll call my local police, if they don't have an answer i will call a
    law ferm.

    If anyone official says i'm bothering i'l just state that it's my duty
    to know what laws are running.

    I'll post the reply, translated to english, i presume.

    --
    lleberg - Level 4 unicyclist

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  4. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    markf wrote:
    > *that's nothing. in DesMoines, there's a law requiring bicyclist and
    > unicyclists to not ride holding anything that requires two hands.
    > seriously. i'd have to dig around to find the exact code, but its
    > understandable for bicycles but not unis. *

    I think it's reasonable for unicycles. One hand to hold whatever you're
    carrying, and the other hand to catch the seat. This translates out to
    having another hand to stop the unicycle from shooting out into the
    shins of pedestrians around you.

    In any case, let someone try to enforce it on you... :)

    In reference to the above claim that 1886 unicycles came before
    bicycles, I beg to differ. The wheels in that old picture surely came
    from bicycles. Just as bicycles were different in those days, so were
    unicycles. Yes, I prefer a seat instead of a handlebar!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  5. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    I am lucky, I don't qualify as a bike, or a pedestrian or a moped.

    NRS 484.019 “Bicycle” defined. “Bicycle” means a device propelled by
    human power upon which a person may ride, having two tandem wheels
    either of which is over 14 inches in diameter, or every such device
    generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or two
    rear wheels except a moped.

    Don't got two wheels.

    NRS 484.111 “Pedestrian” defined. “Pedestrian” means a person afoot,
    a person in a manual or motorized wheelchair, or a person on an electric
    personal assistive mobility device as defined in NRS 482.029.

    I ain't afoot, and I am not in an electrical device.

    I carry both of these, along with a few other important
    bike/pedestrian/park laws, just in case I ever do get an ecounter with
    the authorities(heaven forbid). Although, alot of cops don't like
    -smart- kids who say "I don't know about you sir, but that sure looks
    like only one wheel to me..."

    --
    Catboy - RIP Unibiker

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

    RIP Unibiker

  6. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:21:50 +0000, Danny Colyer wrote:

    >> that's nothing. in DesMoines, there's a law requiring bicyclist and
    >> unicyclists to not ride holding anything that requires two hands.

    >Does that include the handlebar?

    Probably not because the handlebar does not REQUIRE two hands.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    It's impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what's in a name) Childs

  7. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    After my little talk to the authorities, he first said that i was a
    cyclist and therefore had to follow those laws.
    But, he phoned back after a few minutes, and said that in 1980 there was
    a change of rules for unicycles, that they are a toy, and unicyclist are
    therefore counted as pedestrians.

    Which is to say that i don't need a helmet if i'm younger than 15, i
    don't need reflexes and that i can (should) cycle on the sidewalk.

    Hurray!

    And btw, he said he actually could ride a unicycle a bit, couldn't
    freemount, but he could ride like 10 meters, i like to hear that kind of
    things!

    --
    lleberg - Level 4 unicyclist

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  8. GILD

    GILD Guest

    lleberg wrote:
    > *And btw, he said he actually could ride a unicycle a bit, couldn't
    > freemount, but he could ride like 10 meters, i like to hear that kind
    > of things! *

    that is very kewl
    :)

    i know it's your head and your decision, just don't let the fact that
    the law doesn't require u to wear a helmet make the decision for u

    wear a helmet
    :p

    --
    GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

    if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
    alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
    I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- William H.
    Mauldin

    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

  9. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    Tha laws only tells me what i can't do and what i have to do, nothing in
    between, that's allways up to me. :D

    and that means that i am the one who chooses if i wear a helmet or not.

    --
    lleberg - Level 4 unicyclist

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  10. GILD

    GILD Guest

    lleberg wrote:
    > * that's allways up to me. :D*

    and since u're not in the USA, it might just stay that way for a
    while

    just think of me as peer pressure ;)

    --
    GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

    if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
    alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
    I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- William H.
    Mauldin

    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

  11. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Catboy wrote:
    > *“Bicycle” means a device propelled by human power upon which a person
    > may ride, having two tandem wheels either of which is over 14 inches
    > in diameter...
    >
    > “Pedestrian” means a person afoot, a person in a manual or motorized
    > wheelchair, or a person on an electric personal assistive mobility
    > device as defined in NRS 482.029.*

    Sounds like Nevada or Reno law may have something to cover human
    powered vehicles with wheels of 14" diameter or less. This would be kids
    bikes, which if there's anything about it probably says they should stay
    off the street.

    But your wheels are over 14", so if there's nothing else out there, you
    would seem to be officially in the gray area. Be responsible, and you
    should be safe from tickets!

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  13. dogbowl

    dogbowl Guest

    lleberg wrote:
    > *I'm from sweden and i'm not so proud of it! *

    But you should be. Igmar Bergman is from Sweden--any country that that
    could produce a director like that (The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberrys,
    etc) is way cool.

    Dude, consider this....
    Helmet-- I wear wrist guards, knee pads, and a helmet. I have taken 2
    serious falls on pavement--First time, I landed smack on both knees and
    I know if I was not padded I would have had to spend weeks in a
    wheelchair. Second fall, right on both wrists, and yet because of the
    wrist guards, I was kept out of the hospital.
    I'm keeping the helmet on because I know that the up and coming fall
    number 3 will be to my skull.
    I live in NYC--the law (I'm pretty sure) requires helmets for
    "cycles"--but even if the law said that helmets were not required, I
    would still wear them, simply because I hate the hospital emergancy
    room, and I'm not into the idea of brain damage either.:)
    Cheers, Dogbowl

    --
    dogbowl - Putting the F back in Freemounting

    All I want out of life is to be able to ride the unicycle while smoking
    a cigar at the same time. Is that too much to ask for?
    dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

  14. muniracer

    muniracer Guest

    dogbowl wrote:
    > *But you should be. Igmar Bergman is from Sweden--any country that
    > that could produce a director like that (The Seventh Seal, Wild
    > Strawberrys, etc) is way cool.
    > *

    the seventh seal has some mad crazy juggling scenes.

    :D

    --
    muniracer - Hell On Wheel

    The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
    muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339