Re: Universal Kryptonite Key

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace' started by [email protected]'r'u.gk, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Jimmbo

    Jimmbo Guest

  2. Jimmbo

    Jimmbo Guest

  3. Basilic

    Basilic Guest

    Here is the real joke :

    http://www.bikeforums.net/

    http://www.usatoday.com/money/2004-09-16-bike-lock_x.htm

    BOSTON (AP) - Faster than a speeding bullet, word is spreading across the
    Internet, through cyclist hangouts and into bike shops that all it takes to
    open a circular-key lock, like the one on the famous U-shaped
    Kryptonite-brand lock, is a ballpoint pen.

    The Kryptonite - consisting of a steel curve with a locking horizontal bar -
    is a must-have among serious bicyclists. It can cost more than $50, and for
    an extra $10 to $20, it comes with a guarantee that says the company will
    pay customers more than $1,000 if product failure results in the theft of a
    bicycle.
    In recent days, bicycle chat rooms on the Internet have been flooded with
    irate comments from cyclists, some of whom have posted short movies of
    themselves picking their own locks with the hollow shaft of a Bic pen.

    A spokeswoman for the company, the country's largest bicycle-lock
    manufacturer, said it plans to accelerate the introduction of new versions
    of the lock because of the complaints.

    Boston bicycle messenger John Anderson, 23, said a friend showed him how
    easy it was to defeat a U-lock.

    "He did it in about two seconds. I was like, 'You've got to be kidding me,'"
    he said. "People spend a couple of grand (on their bikes), so it's kind of a
    bummer that people can steal them so easily."

    Benjamin Running, a 28-year-old graphic designer in New York, helped start
    the furor after he posted on the Internet a video of himself picking his own
    lock.

    "These locks literally are viewed as the industry standard, the lock that
    you must have. They're recommended by every bike shop," he said. "I'm
    absolutely shattered by this."

    Kryptonite spokeswoman Donna Tocci said in a statement that the design still
    provides "an effective deterrent to theft," but that the company is
    developing new products using a pen-proof, disc-style cylinder.

    "We are accelerating the delivery of the new disc cylinder locks and we will
    communicate directly with our distributors, dealers and consumers within the
    coming days. The world just got tougher and so did our locks," the statement
    said.

    The company made no mention of any refunds or free replacements and did not
    say whether it had received any reports of bikes being stolen with a
    ballpoint.

    Kryptonite was founded in 1972 and is known as the originator of the
    U-shaped bicycle lock. In had sales of about $27 million in the year before
    it was acquired in 2001 by Ingersoll-Rand, maker of other security products
    such as Schlage door locks.

    Jon Currier, an employee at Belmont Wheelworks, said the bike store took
    down all the Kryptonite models with pickable locks immediately after he
    learned of the problem.

    He said he doubts the problem will have any long-term effect on Kryptonite,
    because the company has fixed design flaws before that bike thieves have
    exploited.

    "The name is the Jell-O of bike locks," he said. "They're the original and
    the survivors."

    "Jimmbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thats the joke
    > <[email protected]'r'u.gk> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > From: a <[email protected]>
    > > >
    > > >[5] http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7103552086

    > > isn't this just a bic pen?

  4. a