Re: Unsafe at any speed?-Path beside Beach Rd

On 2007-05-02, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 2 May 2007 16:37:29 +1000
> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Here's a good justification: if you can't aquire the competantency to
>> ride a bike, then you probably will never be able to aquire the
>> competancy to drive a car (where I define competancy as being that

> Pity someone with poor balance. Or with a leg injury eh?

We already mentioned that they're be medical exceptions at the top of
this thread.

--
TimC
A debugged program is one for which you have not yet found the

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 2 May 2007 18:27:00 +1000
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-05-02, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
>> In aus.bicycle on Wed, 2 May 2007 16:37:29 +1000
>> TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Here's a good justification: if you can't aquire the competantency to
>>> ride a bike, then you probably will never be able to aquire the
>>> competancy to drive a car (where I define competancy as being that

>> Pity someone with poor balance. Or with a leg injury eh?

> We already mentioned that they're be medical exceptions at the top of
> this thread.

If you are going to make major blanket statements, might be an idea to
make your own exceptions...

Because without that, your statement is nonsense. Riding a bicycle is
a physical skill not a mental one. You can see kids perfectly able to
ride bicycles who have no traffic sense at all.

Having driven a car for some years does not, it seems, give someone
more than minimal competence in traffic riding a motorcycle. They can
read the traffic at traffic speeds better than a complete novice but
there are other variables they don't quite manage.

I find that riding a bicycle doesn't seem to be the same as driving a
car. Speeds are different, what I'm looking for is different, the
decisions I take are different. I think the best bet is to train
people for what they are doing, not something a bit like it if you
squint.

Zebee

On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:32:45 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Why not a mandatory electric wheelchair? One of those Gopher things. I
> have owned one for ten years but my mother-in-law rides it.

Theo, why do your family's vehicles always pop up in these threads?
--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
I think it's a beautiful day to go to the zoo and feed the ducks.

On 2007-05-02, Dave (aka Bruce)
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 12:32:45 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> Why not a mandatory electric wheelchair? One of those Gopher things. I
>> have owned one for ten years but my mother-in-law rides it.

> Theo, why do your family's vehicles always pop up in these threads?

Was this one made by Mercedes?

--
TimC
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Plodder wrote:
>> "Bleve" wrote

>>> Or maybe we're at cross porpoises? Maybe rooman *isn't* suggesting
>>> that CA can, without a significant change in its charter, administer
>>> and train road riding safety trainers and examiners?

>> Ah, we're back to the ambiguity of "compulsory/mandatory". I'm not
>> necessarily in favour of "compulsory licence/training for cyclists" I
>> am in favour of compulsory/mandatory bicycle training as a part of
>> driver training. Whether someone does or doesn't become a cyclist is
>> their choice, but if they want to learn to drive a car, first they
>> must learn about riding a bicycle. My thinking is that it will help
>> make the upcoming crop of drivers more bicycle aware. That's why I
>> think it would be relatively simple for the state road licencing
>> people to administer.

> Perhaps while they're at it, they can teach them to be good pedestrians as
> well. And, whilst we have them confined to the classroom, we can teach
> them to say please and thank you, not use the word orientated because
> oriented is the correct usage, cover their mouth when they sneeze, let the
> missus have the remote control sometimes, and a lot of other social things
> that would be nice but have little or no relation to driving a motor car
> on the road.
>
> Maybe, just maybe, we could encourage parents to teach their children some
> roadcraft and leave bicycle training to them.
>
> Theo

And why not have bogan dad teach little mullet-boy to drive too, and do away
with those pesky tests? I know, I know; you learned to drive your uncle's
ute on the farm when you were three months old and only had to drive around
the block from the cop shop to the pub to get your licence. Times have moved
on.

I've never felt threatened while riding my bike by someone driving a car who
sneezed without covering their mouth. I have felt endangered by people
driving as though they have no idea about how to treat other road users.

I agree that, ideally, road sharing is a social game. However, we all need
to share an understanding of the game rules. The best way to acheive that
understanding is to all be taught pretty well the same set of rules.

We unleash kids on bicycles without road rule training - remember, they are
not taught road rules until they apply for a driving licence. Why not start
road rule training on the transport available to them (bicycles) at school
and ensure their knowledge is reasonable (weasel word!) when they apply for
permission to drive a motor vehicle?

I'm trying to work out how "...a lot of other social things that would be
nice but have little or no relation to driving a motor car on the road." is
the same as teaching people bicycle skills and road use. Doesn't knowing how
to respond to other traffic (including bicyles) have some relation to
driving a motor car on the road? Perhaps you're confusing the idea of
driving a motor vehicle (making it go/stop/turn, etc) with shared road use.
There's a world of difference.

me

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> EuanB wrote:
>> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
> >> <stuff>

>> I don't agree.

> Of course you don't . :)
>
>> Learn your road craft on a vehicle which is much less likely to kill
>> or maim others. Good road craft has everything to do with driving a
>> motor car on the road.

> So when you go for your driving test in Euanland, you will first be issued
> with a pram. When you show competency at manouvring the pram, you will
> progress to a tricycle, skateboard, roller blades, wheelchair, bicycle,
> scooter, motorcycle, and then a 2CV, before progressing to a 4 cyl Getz.
>
> Theo

That, although not formalised, is roughly a process most people go through -
it's called walking before running...

me

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> EuanB wrote:
>
>> Did I say that? Don't think I did. What I said was that it would be
>> a good idea to learn your road craft on a bicycle. If you stuff up
>> you're much less likely to harm others and you learn how to operate a
>> bicycle in traffic, a useful skill.
>>
>> Once copentance on a bicycle is demonstrated, then go for your car
>> license. What do you find so difficult to understand about that Theo?

> Whilst I agree with what you say above, that competence on a bicycle
> certainly is desirable and a good way to learn roadcraft, I find it
> difficult to understand why a person _must_ have competence on a bicycle
> to obtain a driver's licence. To me, it makes less sense than having
> competence riding a horse to get a licence to drive a horse and buggy.
>
> Theo

Theo, you MUST be playing devil's advocate here. It seems pretty obvious
that all road users should have a clue about how other road users should
behave. The more everyone thinks of themselves as a road user instead of
'car driver', 'pedestrian', 'cyclist' etc., the better integrated traffic
will be. I'm pretty sure someone who can competently ride a horse will make
a better horse and buggy driver than someone who is not familiar with the
vagaries of horses but is able to hold the reins. That doesn't mean you
can't drive a horse and buggy without horse knowledge. It means you won't be
as good. Similarly, you won't be as good a road user without knowledge of
how other road users should behave.

Doesn't sound like a hard concept to me...

me

TimC wrote:
> Dave wrote
>> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>
>>> Why not a mandatory electric wheelchair? One of those Gopher
>>> things. I have owned one for ten years but my mother-in-law rides
>>> it.

>> Theo, why do your family's vehicles always pop up in these threads?

> Was this one made by Mercedes?

Good lord no. It's a cheapish 3 wheeler bought at the time she had her first
knee replacement.

Theo

Dave wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> Why not a mandatory electric wheelchair? One of those Gopher things.
>> I have owned one for ten years but my mother-in-law rides it.

> Theo, why do your family's vehicles always pop up in these threads?

I just love it when people run off at a tangent and manage to not address
any points in my posts at all.

Cheers Dave

Theo

Plodder wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

>> So when you go for your driving test in Euanland, you will first be
>> issued with a pram. When you show competency at manouvring the pram,
>> you will progress to a tricycle, skateboard, roller blades,
>> wheelchair, bicycle, scooter, motorcycle, and then a 2CV, before
>> progressing to a 4 cyl Getz.

> That, although not formalised, is roughly a process most people go
> through - it's called walking before running...

Aha, you may nearly be seeing my point. Now tell me why you think the pram
or the 2CV experience should be mandatory/compulsory for everyone, rather
than, or as well as, the the bicycle experience. Note that with
motorcycling, sub-250cc experience is mandated before a larger engine
capacity is allowed. OTOH, in some States, including WA, no previous two
wheeled experience is required to ride a (speed limited to 60 km/h)
restricted scooter.

Theo

TimC wrote:
> Theo Bekkers (wrote

>> Whilst I agree with what you say above, that competence on a bicycle
>> certainly is desirable and a good way to learn roadcraft, I find it
>> difficult to understand why a person _must_ have competence on a
>> bicycle to obtain a driver's licence. To me, it makes less sense
>> than having competence riding a horse to get a licence to drive a
>> horse and buggy.

> Here's a good justification: if you can't aquire the competantency to
> ride a bike, then you probably will never be able to aquire the
> competancy to drive a car (where I define competancy as being that
> which about 80% of current drivers do not currently have -- ie, the
> dangerous idiots who feel it justified to overtake on double white
> lines around a blind corner -- higher proportions in Greensborough).
> You'll do much less damage to other people, being incompetant at the
> former rather than the latter.

Tim, I'm not really trying to be difficult, but I really can't see that the
roadcraft you will learn on a bicycle, and only on a bicycle, is so critical
that it should be compulsory to have that experience before you are allowed
to operate any other vehicle. I just can't.

I can tell you the roadcraft that I can learn from observing cyclists on the
road is not something I would like to see car drivers practice. Running red
lights, even after stopping and looking both ways. Riding around in bunches
inches away from each other is another. I used to work with a guy who is
from England and worked for some time also in Ireland and he tells me that,
back then, it was illegal to race on the public road. Racing being defined
as traveling in a bunch or peloton. Their solution was to time-trial.

My personal opinion is that riding in a bunch on a public road is already
illegal here and should be enforced as it is a dangerous practice,
encourages people to do illegal things (lie red lights and crosswalks), and
can injure people other than the participants. I personally don't give a
**** if the willing participants hurt themselves.

I think even a casual observation of cyclist behaviour show that they are
not the best role-model for safe use of roads, and I do not think that
teaching people that those behaviours are a mandatory model for drivers is a
good idea.

Theo

Plodder wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

>> Perhaps while they're at it, they can teach them to be good
>> pedestrians as well. And, whilst we have them confined to the
>> classroom, we can teach them to say please and thank you, not use
>> the word orientated because oriented is the correct usage, cover
>> their mouth when they sneeze, let the missus have the remote control
>> sometimes, and a lot of other social things that would be nice but
>> have little or no relation to driving a motor car on the road.
>>
>> Maybe, just maybe, we could encourage parents to teach their
>> children some roadcraft and leave bicycle training to them.

> And why not have bogan dad teach little mullet-boy to drive too, and
> do away with those pesky tests? I know, I know; you learned to drive
> your uncle's ute on the farm when you were three months old and only
> had to drive around the block from the cop shop to the pub to get
> your licence. Times have moved on.

You know, I actually got my dirvers licence that way. Never even had to put
it in reverse. Only mullets hadn't been invented then, nor bogans.

> I've never felt threatened while riding my bike by someone driving a
> car who sneezed without covering their mouth. I have felt endangered
> by people driving as though they have no idea about how to treat
> other road users.
> I agree that, ideally, road sharing is a social game. However, we all
> need to share an understanding of the game rules. The best way to
> acheive that understanding is to all be taught pretty well the same
> set of rules.
> We unleash kids on bicycles without road rule training - remember,
> they are not taught road rules until they apply for a driving
> licence.

What? When you learnt to ride nobody pointed out to you which side of the
road you had to be on? Or what to do when you got to an intersection? I
don't believe you.

> Why not start road rule training on the transport available
> to them (bicycles) at school and ensure their knowledge is reasonable
> (weasel word!) when they apply for permission to drive a motor
> vehicle?

I don't have a problem with that at all.

> I'm trying to work out how "...a lot of other social things that
> would be nice but have little or no relation to driving a motor car
> on the road." is the same as teaching people bicycle skills and road
> use. Doesn't knowing how to respond to other traffic (including
> bicyles) have some relation to driving a motor car on the road?
> Perhaps you're confusing the idea of driving a motor vehicle (making
> it go/stop/turn, etc) with shared road use. There's a world of
> difference.

Certainly. The problem I have is with _mandatory_ cycling experience.

Theo

Plodder wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

>> Whilst I agree with what you say above, that competence on a bicycle
>> certainly is desirable and a good way to learn roadcraft, I find it
>> difficult to understand why a person _must_ have competence on a
>> bicycle to obtain a driver's licence.

> Theo, you MUST be playing devil's advocate here. It seems pretty
> obvious that all road users should have a clue about how other road
> users should behave. The more everyone thinks of themselves as a road
> user instead of 'car driver', 'pedestrian', 'cyclist' etc., the
> better integrated traffic will be. I'm pretty sure someone who can
> competently ride a horse will make a better horse and buggy driver
> than someone who is not familiar with the vagaries of horses but is
> able to hold the reins. That doesn't mean you can't drive a horse and
> buggy without horse knowledge. It means you won't be as good.
> Similarly, you won't be as good a road user without knowledge of how
> other road users should behave.
> Doesn't sound like a hard concept to me...

Please read my post above again. I don't have a problem with your concept
at all. (And you can probaly learn more about horses by leading them than by
riding them.)

Theo
Led horses, ridden them, driven a pair, and been in a trotting sulky.

Theo Bekkers said:
I can tell you the roadcraft that I can learn from observing cyclists on the
road is not something I would like to see car drivers practice.
All cyclists?

Running red
lights, even after stopping and looking both ways. Riding around in bunches
inches away from each other is another.
I haven't seen that promoted as good roadcraft on a bicycle. You're characterising these behavours as good cycling road craft. I don't believe that's the case. Your first example is explicity against the law for a start.

My personal opinion is that riding in a bunch on a public road is already
illegal here and should be enforced as it is a dangerous practice,
encourages people to do illegal things (lie red lights and crosswalks), and
can injure people other than the participants.
What particular law makes bunch riding illegal Theo?

I think even a casual observation of cyclist behaviour show that they are
not the best role-model for safe use of roads, and I do not think that
teaching people that those behaviours are a mandatory model for drivers is a
good idea.
I think even a casual observer of motorist behaviour shows that they are not very good drivers and not the best role model for safe use of our roads.

EuanB wrote:
> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>> I can tell you the roadcraft that I can learn from observing
>> cyclists on the
>> road is not something I would like to see car drivers practice.

> All cyclists?

Certainly not, most cyclists, like most motorists, are courteous law-abing
citizens.

>> My personal opinion is that riding in a bunch on a public road is
>> already
>> illegal here and should be enforced as it is a dangerous practice,
>> encourages people to do illegal things (lie red lights and
>> crosswalks), and
>> can injure people other than the participants.

> What particular law makes bunch riding illegal Theo?

Following too close behind another vehicle, tail-gating. Or do you think
that doesn't apply to cyclists for some reason?

> I think even a casual observer of motorist behaviour shows that they
> are not very good drivers and not the best role model for safe use of
> our roads.

Did I say they were?

Theo

On 2007-05-04, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> My personal opinion is that riding in a bunch on a public road is already
> illegal here and should be enforced as it is a dangerous practice,
> encourages people to do illegal things (lie red lights and crosswalks)

eh? Other than the hell ride, bunches I see are *far* more likely to
stop for red lights than individuals.

In fact, I've never seen a bunch other than the hell ride run a red.
Seen thousands of individuals though -- probably about a third the
cyclists I've noticed.

--
TimC
>Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.

You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

Plodder said:
. Why not start road rule training on the transport available to them (bicycles) at school
Beyond the sort of superficial stuff that's done in primary school now,you're kidding, right.
The last thing schools want is another social problem lumped on them. You'd also need to advise what to stop teaching as there is not enough time to cover what they're meant to cover already. And how would it work? Classroom lessons on how to be a good rider? Here are the road rules, please be good kids and follow them? That'd work.

If not classroom lessons, then what? Schools buying fleets of bikes, or making it compulsory to buy a bike and bring it to school? Plus any teacher would have to be deranged to take on the responsibility and financial liability of taking goups of by definition "untrained" riders out on the road. Who would take the bottom stream - ie the "veggie bike class" or "foundation riding", or those kids that won't follow any instructions ever. What about if they fail - no drivers' license?

On the other hand, those kids that have never passed a school test in their life do manage to study and get their Ls and Ps.

Yes, I do have a close personal relationship with a teacher!

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TimC wrote:
>> Theo Bekkers (wrote

>>> Whilst I agree with what you say above, that competence on a bicycle
>>> certainly is desirable and a good way to learn roadcraft, I find it
>>> difficult to understand why a person _must_ have competence on a
>>> bicycle to obtain a driver's licence. To me, it makes less sense
>>> than having competence riding a horse to get a licence to drive a
>>> horse and buggy.

>> Here's a good justification: if you can't aquire the competantency to
>> ride a bike, then you probably will never be able to aquire the
>> competancy to drive a car (where I define competancy as being that
>> which about 80% of current drivers do not currently have -- ie, the
>> dangerous idiots who feel it justified to overtake on double white
>> lines around a blind corner -- higher proportions in Greensborough).
>> You'll do much less damage to other people, being incompetant at the
>> former rather than the latter.

> Tim, I'm not really trying to be difficult, but I really can't see that
> the roadcraft you will learn on a bicycle, and only on a bicycle, is so
> critical that it should be compulsory to have that experience before you
> are allowed to operate any other vehicle. I just can't.
>
> I can tell you the roadcraft that I can learn from observing cyclists on
> the road is not something I would like to see car drivers practice.
> Running red lights, even after stopping and looking both ways. Riding
> around in bunches inches away from each other is another. I used to work
> with a guy who is from England and worked for some time also in Ireland
> and he tells me that, back then, it was illegal to race on the public
> road. Racing being defined as traveling in a bunch or peloton. Their
> solution was to time-trial.
>
> My personal opinion is that riding in a bunch on a public road is already
> illegal here and should be enforced as it is a dangerous practice,
> encourages people to do illegal things (lie red lights and crosswalks),
> and can injure people other than the participants. I personally don't give
> a **** if the willing participants hurt themselves.
>
> I think even a casual observation of cyclist behaviour show that they are
> not the best role-model for safe use of roads, and I do not think that
> teaching people that those behaviours are a mandatory model for drivers is
> a good idea.
>
> Theo

It seems pretty obvious, then, by using your observations, that there IS a
case for formal cycling training. The unsafe behaviours you observe in
cyclists indicate that at least there is insufficient training and
insufficient policing. Imagine if motor vehicle drivers were not formally
trained and tested - their behaviours would probably be similar to the
cyclists you observe.

The other side of formal training is that the "I didn't know the rules"
excuse is removed. That means that illegal behaviours can be better policed.
The cops wouldn't have to contend with the "I was untrained - it's society's
fault" defense and could get on with the job of enforcing the law.

I doubt that formal training would eliminate the behaviours you describe,
but it would certainly go a long way toward getting people to think of a
bicycle as more than a toy or a hobby. If all road users considered bicycles
as a legitimate vehicle, not just a hobby, then the expectation of proper
behaviour is raised. Poor behaviour is more frowned upon and overall
behaviours improve. Think of the drink driving campaign. I remember way back
when driving with a few under the belt was considered a minor peccadillo - a
little 'tut-tut' was about it.

Now it's considered very differently and social pressure has reduced the
incidence of drunk driving. People don't want to be considered a ********
for driving drunk. The social pressure has done more to modify behaviour
than the policing and that social pressure was brought to bear by the
'dickheaqd' campaign. That campaign also made it easier for the cops to
prosecute because drink driving became a thing for which it is considered
that punishment is fair.

Similarly, now there's a degree to which the police think they have better
things to do than prosecute cyclists and drivers don't consider bikes to be
legitimate largely because of the lack of rule enforcement; that lack
promotes the idea that cyclists are not worth the effort to punish. Rather
patronising, I think.

Cheers,

Frank

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Plodder wrote:
>> "Theo Bekkers" wrote

>>> Perhaps while they're at it, they can teach them to be good
>>> pedestrians as well. And, whilst we have them confined to the
>>> classroom, we can teach them to say please and thank you, not use
>>> the word orientated because oriented is the correct usage, cover
>>> their mouth when they sneeze, let the missus have the remote control
>>> sometimes, and a lot of other social things that would be nice but
>>> have little or no relation to driving a motor car on the road.
>>>
>>> Maybe, just maybe, we could encourage parents to teach their
>>> children some roadcraft and leave bicycle training to them.

>> And why not have bogan dad teach little mullet-boy to drive too, and
>> do away with those pesky tests? I know, I know; you learned to drive
>> your uncle's ute on the farm when you were three months old and only
>> had to drive around the block from the cop shop to the pub to get
>> your licence. Times have moved on.

> You know, I actually got my dirvers licence that way. Never even had to
> put it in reverse. Only mullets hadn't been invented then, nor bogans.
>
>> I've never felt threatened while riding my bike by someone driving a
>> car who sneezed without covering their mouth. I have felt endangered
>> by people driving as though they have no idea about how to treat
>> other road users.
>> I agree that, ideally, road sharing is a social game. However, we all
>> need to share an understanding of the game rules. The best way to
>> acheive that understanding is to all be taught pretty well the same
>> set of rules.
>> We unleash kids on bicycles without road rule training - remember,
>> they are not taught road rules until they apply for a driving
>> licence.

> What? When you learnt to ride nobody pointed out to you which side of the
> road you had to be on? Or what to do when you got to an intersection? I
> don't believe you.
>
>> Why not start road rule training on the transport available
>> to them (bicycles) at school and ensure their knowledge is reasonable
>> (weasel word!) when they apply for permission to drive a motor
>> vehicle?

> I don't have a problem with that at all.
>
>> I'm trying to work out how "...a lot of other social things that
>> would be nice but have little or no relation to driving a motor car
>> on the road." is the same as teaching people bicycle skills and road
>> use. Doesn't knowing how to respond to other traffic (including
>> bicyles) have some relation to driving a motor car on the road?
>> Perhaps you're confusing the idea of driving a motor vehicle (making
>> it go/stop/turn, etc) with shared road use. There's a world of
>> difference.

> Certainly. The problem I have is with _mandatory_ cycling experience.
>
> Theo

I haven't advocated "_mandatory_ cycling experience", only mandatory
training. If riding a bike is involved it could well be in a controlled
environment (e.g. a schoolyard) or training centre. I think experience on
the road would be ideal but I have trouble with the idea of forcing people
to actually ride a bike (or drive a car, ride a horse, whatever). The idea
is to promote and ensure (by training and testing) a higher degree of
awareness of the rights, responsibilities, vulnerabilities and strengths of
different road users.

Cheers,

me

"rdk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Plodder Wrote:
>> . Why not start road rule training on the transport available to them
>> (bicycles) at school
>> Beyond the sort of superficial stuff that's done in primary school

> now,you're kidding, right.
> The last thing schools want is another social problem lumped on them.
> You'd also need to advise what to stop teaching as there is not enough
> time to cover what they're meant to cover already. And how would it
> work? Classroom lessons on how to be a good rider? Here are the road
> rules, please be good kids and follow them? That'd work.
>
> If not classroom lessons, then what? Schools buying fleets of bikes, or
> making it compulsory to buy a bike and bring it to school? Plus any
> teacher would have to be deranged to take on the responsibility and
> financial liability of taking goups of by definition "untrained" riders
> out on the road. Who would take the bottom stream - ie the "veggie bike
> class" or "foundation riding", or those kids that won't follow any
> instructions ever. What about if they fail - no drivers' license?
>
> On the other hand, those kids that have never passed a school test in
> their life do manage to study and get their Ls and Ps.
>
> Yes, I do have a close personal relationship with a teacher!
>

> --
> rdk

Yes - if they fail, no driver's licence. If they can't (or won't) follow
instructions, or they don't have the wherewithall to understand the
training, why should they be allowed the privilege of a driver's licence? A
licence confers the rights AND responsibilities of driving - if people are
incapable or unwilling to take on the responsibilities, why should they have
the rights?

As far as the training goes, it's not hard to set up mock intersections,
traffic lights and other road conditions. I'm part of a voluntary group that
goes to schools to present safety packages. One of these packages involves
setting up a road crossing and having the kids role play - some go 'brrrmmm'
and are drivers; some walk across the road and get 'run over', some ride
bikes (role play, not real). The kids quickly pick up the rules and we've
had excellent feedback from the schools in terms of the behaviour change
observed in the kids who have been involved. Sheesh, it's not hard! Kids are
smarter than we give them credit for.

Me