OXFAM is a secular charity that works in many developing countries
around the world. Earlier this year I had the opportunity to see first
hand what they do, when a group of us cycled from Vietnam to Cambodia-
raising over $70,000 in the process (see the links in my signature
line). I was the only unicyclist in the group.
Anyway, there are various cycle challenges coming up in 2005/2006:
http://www.oxfam.org.nz/challenge/
I'm sure they are keen to have unicyclists joining them on tour again.
Challenge participants have to raise NZ $5500- half of that go toward
trip costs and half as a donation to OXFAM.
There are different branches of OXFAM around the world (well it started
in the UK as OXford FAMine relief), many with their own cycle
challenges.
OXFAM Australia runs a similar challenge:
http://www.oxfam.org.au/challenge/index.html
Even if you are not from these countries- I think the challenge welcomed
overseas riders- we had people from Australia, Hong Kong and also UK on
our challenge.
And OXFAM UK:
http://tinyurl.com/6j2ql
If you are interested, I'd really encourage you to think about
participating- it's one of the most fun and satisfying things you can
do!
Ken
--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI
o-kO
Adventure Unicyclist
'NZ Herald Article' (http://tinyurl.com/54xmj)
'Vietnam/Cambodia Unitour pics' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuv31)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35998