Re: Upgrade for Avid mechanical disk brake

jim beam

> Hi, I'm trying to find out if an Avid, mechanical, front disk brake can
> be upgraded by using some aftermarket brake pads, or would it be better
> to use levers with a different mechanical advantage?
>
> Your help will be appreciated.
>
> Lewis.

e.b.c. pads are great & come in 3 different flavors. using them on avid
disk brakes though??? hideous things. sure they stop, but they have
abysmal modulation.

jim beam wrote:

> e.b.c. pads are great & come in 3 different flavors. using them on

avid
> disk brakes though??? hideous things. sure they stop, but they have

> abysmal modulation.

I think they have adequate modulation. It took me one ride to adapt to
Avids after using Shimano XT discs for a while.
What's ridiculous is the pain of servicing hydraulic disc brakes. Also
abysmal is walking your bike down hills after your hydraulic brake
poops out. Downright dumb are the mounting brackets for non-Avid disc
brakes, which require expensive facing tools or tiny spacers and lots
of patience. Avids modulate well enough, and overall they're much
better than any hydraulic disc brake I've ever used or serviced.

-Vee

Vee wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
> > e.b.c. pads are great & come in 3 different flavors. using them on

> avid
> > disk brakes though??? hideous things. sure they stop, but they

have

> > abysmal modulation.

> I think they have adequate modulation. It took me one ride to adapt

> Avids after using Shimano XT discs for a while.
> What's ridiculous is the pain of servicing hydraulic disc brakes.

Also
> abysmal is walking your bike down hills after your hydraulic brake
> poops out. Downright dumb are the mounting brackets for non-Avid

disc
> brakes, which require expensive facing tools or tiny spacers and lots
> of patience. Avids modulate well enough, and overall they're much
> better than any hydraulic disc brake I've ever used or serviced.

Agreed. Avids modulate better than any rim brake I've ever used, and
not much worse than the hydraulics I've tried.

But set-up and maintenance are head and shoulders above any brake I've
ever used. And they are quite inexpensive.

Maybe the ones jim tried were not bedded in properly. It takes about
30 good stops to bed in the pads well, and until they are bedded in,
they can be a bit disappointing.

E.P.

Per Vee:

?
--
PeteCresswell

[email protected] wrote:
> Vee wrote:
>
>>jim beam wrote:
>>

>>>e.b.c. pads are great & come in 3 different flavors. using them on

>>avid
>>
>>>disk brakes though??? hideous things. sure they stop, but they

> have
>
>>>abysmal modulation.

>>I think they have adequate modulation. It took me one ride to adapt

>>Avids after using Shimano XT discs for a while.
>>What's ridiculous is the pain of servicing hydraulic disc brakes.

> Also
>
>>abysmal is walking your bike down hills after your hydraulic brake
>>poops out. Downright dumb are the mounting brackets for non-Avid

> disc
>
>>brakes, which require expensive facing tools or tiny spacers and lots
>>of patience. Avids modulate well enough, and overall they're much
>>better than any hydraulic disc brake I've ever used or serviced.
>>

> Agreed. Avids modulate better than any rim brake I've ever used, and
> not much worse than the hydraulics I've tried.
>
> But set-up and maintenance are head and shoulders above any brake I've
> ever used. And they are quite inexpensive.
>
> Maybe the ones jim tried were not bedded in properly. It takes about
> 30 good stops to bed in the pads well, and until they are bedded in,
> they can be a bit disappointing.

avid said that when i called them too. very nice folk on the phone, but
after several free replacement sets for "faulty" pads, i gave up on
them. and they required /constant/ wear adjustment.

i ended up with a set of xt hydraulics for $198 the pair. they're
fabulous. i've been riding them for nearly 3 years now & i've never had
a moment's trouble. they bled easily, they've never required
re-bleeding even after pad changes, and their modulation is superb.
only thing you have to do is replace the pads periodically but wear's
not a problem because they're completely self-adjusting.

for me, i'll take rim brakes over avids, any day.