Re: Users of the Tubus "Fly" rear luggage rack... ?

Jim Smith

Guest
!Jones <[email protected]> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Does anyone out there in Usenet-land use the Tubus "Fly" rack? If so,
> would you share your experience?
>
> I'm considering ordering one for an MTB tandem with a short stoker
> frame. I'm looking for the minimalist rack; however, I'm worried
> about tire clearance. Will a standard 26" MTB tire (what's the common
> width? 2 & 3/8?) clear the support stays? I know it's a narrow
> rack... that's why I like it.

I have one, but it is on a fixed gear with 27 inch rims. The
narrowest part is the front stays. I just measured mine and the
narrowest part measures 2 inches wide and is 13-1/8 inch up the stay
from the mounting hole. Tubus has technical drawings of the side of
the rack at their website. If no one chimes in with actual
experience, that should be enough information to draw a triangle or
cut a template out of cereal box and figure out if it will work.

!Jones <[email protected]> writes:

> On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 20:36:08 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech Jim Smith
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I have one, but it is on a fixed gear with 27 inch rims. The
>>narrowest part is the front stays. I just measured mine and the
>>narrowest part measures 2 inches wide and is 13-1/8 inch up the stay
>>from the mounting hole. Tubus has technical drawings of the side of
>>the rack at their website. If no one chimes in with actual
>>experience, that should be enough information to draw a triangle or
>>cut a template out of cereal box and figure out if it will work.

> I must have missed the drawing. I'll give it another look; however,
> what you cite doesn't sound very hopeful that the tire will clear.

Yeah, it really is narrow. It might work, either way it is going to be
close.