Re: Users of the Tubus "Fly" rear luggage rack... ?

James Thomson

Guest
"!Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone out there in Usenet-land use the Tubus "Fly"
> rack? If so, would you share your experience?

> I'm considering ordering one for an MTB tandem with a short stoker
> frame. I'm looking for the minimalist rack; however, I'm worried
> about tire clearance. Will a standard 26" MTB tire (what's the common
> width? 2 & 3/8?) clear the support stays?

I have a Fly on the back of an old Kona Kilauea MTB. The tyres fitted are
Continental Town and Country 26x1.9", and there's about 10mm of clearance
per side at the tightest point. 1.9" is at the slim end ofthe range for an
MTB tyre - most tyres are in the 2.0-2.3" range - and these also have a
rounded profile without side knobs.

The position of the rack eyelets on your tandem will also have an effect -
my bike's eyelets are directly in front of the axle slot (retrofitted track
ends). A higher and more rearward position would increase clearance.

If I can take any more precise measurements for you, let me know. Reply-to
address is valid.

James Thomson