Re-using old spokes

Phileas

Guest
I've just built a rear wheel with a new rim but the old hub and spokes. Unfortunately, I removed
the old spokes from the hub so they are now not in the same hub holes as before (I read the faq
too late!).

Can I expect frequent spoke breakage with this wheel? (The spokes have about 6000 miles on them).

Phileas

I think you should use new spokes, although there's a chance you may be lucky.

BTW, there's an easy way to do this without removing the spokes. Just tape the new rim to the
old one and go around it, moving one spoke at a time into the proper hole; then tension and true
the wheel.

Twice I've removed all the spokes to replace a hub. The first time I did what you did (not sort the
spokes). After a couple of spokes broke, I removed 'em all and rebuilt the wheel with new spokes.

The second time I was smarter, and sorted 'em out in four bunches (left and right, leading and
trailing), and now have another 6k miles on that wheel without a problem.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Originally posted by Phileas
I've just built a rear wheel with a new rim but the old hub and spokes. Unfortunately, I removed
the old spokes from the hub so they are now not in the same hub holes as before (I read the faq
too late!).

Can I expect frequent spoke breakage with this wheel? (The spokes have about 6000 miles on them).

Phileas

At face value, I would say yes, but you have them built so simply ride 'em and see what happens... (What have ya got to loose?) ;)

[email protected] (MikeYankee) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I think you should use new spokes, although there's a chance you may be lucky.
>
> BTW, there's an easy way to do this without removing the spokes. Just tape the new rim to the
> old one and go around it, moving one spoke at a time into the proper hole; then tension and true
> the wheel.
>
> Twice I've removed all the spokes to replace a hub. The first time I did what you did (not
> sort the spokes). After a couple of spokes broke, I removed 'em all and rebuilt the wheel with
> new spokes.
>
> The second time I was smarter, and sorted 'em out in four bunches (left and right, leading and
> trailing), and now have another 6k miles on that wheel without a problem.
>

> Mike Yankee

I've done this, too- built a wheel with used spokes, that is. I think you'll be able to tell
"inside" spokes from "outside" spokes if you look closely at the bends. The "inside" spokes will
have an angle that's obviously more obtuse. Build, true, and tension as normal. It should be fine.

Jeff