Re: Value of sweating

Sam wrote:

> I meant to pull Larry's book ( assume that is the Armstrong you
> mention) to see if he had any numbers.

Yep. You had mentioned it several times in another context, and I
finally broke down and bought it this year.

> Then our CEO told everyone to go
> home early and I forgot about it!

Understood!

I did look in several ex phys books but
> could not find a break down, only a note from a lecture given at ACSM on
> extreme conditions. Maybe I'll drop Larry an email to see if he can
> clarify.

Ok, thanks.

The big picture of where I'm coming from is I had seen some information
in an Iditarod training handbook - late 80s, but by university professor
and with some citations, so tend to think of it as science rather than
old wives' tales. I recognize that's not foolproof and was trying to
verify whether some of the things he stated were real or old wives'
tales that were being propogated because researchers hadn't tested the
hypotheses yet. Some were consistent with what I'd been taught; some
were not. I'm just looking at hydration / fuel / warmth issues for cold
weather (+10F and below) activities like running and xc skiing for
multiple hours. Above +10F, the issues don't seem to be as significant -
or I've figured out how to deal with them, but this seems to correspond
to temperature when some other things start happening or become more
significant.

Some of the tidbits were
1. Energy sources switch more toward fat in cold weather, and this is
consistent with past experience.
2. Shivering is anaerobic and uses glycogen.
3. I think women are supposed to burn more fat than men in cold temps.
4. Water loss through breathing will involve more from the lungs because
of the low humidity of cold air. (Electrolyte loss was never mentioned
in this context).

If a person burns more fat in cold, then something like Clip 2 (has fat)
might make more sense than Ultra or Cytomax. Clip 2 has no electrolytes
since it's designed to be used with electrolyte tablets or other source
of electrolytes so you can get right water/salt ratio for your own
conditions. Trying to deal with tiny tablets can be a challenge with
mittens in cold temperatures. If a lot of the moisture was coming from
the lungs, I was thinking that might reduce the need for electrolytes,
but apparently not from Tom's post. Salty snacks plus Clip 2 might be an
easier way to deal with it, if it needs to be dealt with.

I can use all 3 of these drinks although I prefer Ultra and Clip for
stuff over a couple hours because of their light flavoring. And I will
test to find what works for me. It's just that understanding the
physiology better can help make more meaningful tests.

There really is a running-related reason for my curiosity.

Thanks. Happy Holidays!

Dot

--
"Dream Big, and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughn
who was with Byrd in Antarctica and whose 99th birthday was Dec 19

Tom Phillips wrote:

> Dot wrote:
>

>>What mechanism would be involved since the respiration is just taking
>>moisture from lungs? or does one of the membrane (sodium?) pump
>>mechanisms function here also (my cellular biology is worse than rusty -
>>and it was for plants anyway.)

> I guess the second; I've never delved into the
> phyisology deeply so I assume it works the same
> as the rest of the body. But most sources I've read
> that mention lung venting also mentions electrolytes.

Ok, I hadn't bumped into that fact, so you're farther ahead than I am.
And it does make sense since there's exchange across a membrane.

>>To what degree vs sweating I don't
>>
>>>know (i.e., if the rates are different than the
>>>water loss rates.) I suspect electrolyte loss is
>>>consistent with water loss whether sweat or lung
>>>venting.

>>That's why I'm wondering about the mechanism.

> Well, someone should know.

I agree ;) Hence the search continues.

Thanks. Happy Holidays!

Dot

--

Tom Phillips wrote:

> Dot wrote:

>>Hey, I've been on snowfields in Hawaii when we were almost snowless
>>here. I thought those "Ski Hawaii" t-shirts were a joke until I was
>>there.

> True but at 10-13000 ft, and skiing on a volcano
> has inherent risk I imagine. Unless they only
> erupt in summer...

Well, they have a bunch of telescopes up there, so I'm assuming it's
fairly dormant :) At that elevation and that far out in Pacific, light
contamination if minor. Actually, what's really cool, is some of the
landscape up the road has a permafrosty look to it. Never did find out
if it's geological remnants or if it's true permafrost.

Now some of the other volcanoes to the south, that's another matter.

>>I've also been snowed on outside of Tucson when we were almost
>>snowless here.

> probably also at higher el. ?

yep. Mt. Whittaker.

Dot

--
"Dream Big, and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughn
who was with Byrd in Antarctica and whose 99th birthday was Dec 19

http://www.camelbak.com/mil/articles2.cfm

American College of Sports Medicine – Position stand on Exercise and
Fluid Replacement Summary from ACSM Position Stand on "Exercise and
Fluid Replacement."

"RESPIRATION: With normal daily activities we lose approximately one to
two liters of water via evaporation from the lungs. As we breathe, the
air that we inhale is "conditioned" – it is warmed to 98.6F and
humidified to 100% humidity. This warm, moist air is then exhaled and
the cycle starts over again. The combination of extreme cold
temperatures and altitude can dramatically increase the rate of water
loss through the lungs – up to one cup per hour, or six liters in 24
hours. "

but nothing on electrolytes or about exercise per se and increased
breathing.

Two abstracts on hyponatremia and cold weather running.
http://tinyurl.com/68649
http://tinyurl.com/5qjmp

Dot wrote:

> http://www.camelbak.com/mil/articles2.cfm
>
> American College of Sports Medicine – Position stand on Exercise and
> Fluid Replacement Summary from ACSM Position Stand on "Exercise and
> Fluid Replacement."
>
> "RESPIRATION: With normal daily activities we lose approximately one to
> two liters of water via evaporation from the lungs. As we breathe, the
> air that we inhale is "conditioned" – it is warmed to 98.6F and
> humidified to 100% humidity. This warm, moist air is then exhaled and
> the cycle starts over again. The combination of extreme cold
> temperatures and altitude can dramatically increase the rate of water
> loss through the lungs – up to one cup per hour, or six liters in 24
> hours. "

Interesting. Thanks.

No literature I have deals with specifics of loss rates,
but my first responder handbook (Wilderness Medicine,
Forgey) states: "Dehydration is a significant problem
from respiratory loss in the cold dry air due to rapid
breathing rates." Altitude increases the loss rates, and
I myself can testify that the higher one goes the more
anaerobic conditions/activity becomes.

> but nothing on electrolytes or about exercise per se and increased
> breathing.

I'm sure you'll keep looking :)