Re: Value of sweating

Lanceandrew

Guest
ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on weather. it's a
natural bodily function that's supposed to happen given a set of circumstances
not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles this morning.....-4 F. That's right
DF, -4 ! Your sweat just freezes and collects on your skin where it's exposed
to the weather.

you're basically asking if a natural bodily function is healthy.

Lanceandrew wrote:

> ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on weather. it's a
> natural bodily function that's supposed to happen given a set of circumstances
> not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles this morning.....-4 F. That's right
> DF, -4 ! Your sweat just freezes and collects on your skin where it's exposed
> to the weather.

If you have bare sweaty skin (other than maybe your
nose/lips) exposed to subzero temps and is freezing,
you need to cover the skin. The point isn't to stay
100% dry, since one will sweat regardless. But to
_insulate_.

Lanceandrew wrote:

> i ran 4 hard miles this morning.....-4 F. That's right DF, -4 !

That's cold? Sort of a standard late December/January day around here.

Neil

On 2004-12-20, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
> ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on weather. it's a
> natural bodily function that's supposed to happen given a set of circumstances
> not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles this morning.....-4 F. That's right
> DF, -4 !

Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running too, and
it hasn't been -4. Not even close. It's less than 20, but more than 10. Are
you counting windchill or something ?

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Are you counting windchill or something ?

We create our own windchill, don't we. Maybe he's really really fast and can
turn a 20 degree days into -4 F :^)

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> On 2004-12-20, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on
>> weather. it's a natural bodily function that's supposed to happen
>> given a set of circumstances not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles
>> this morning.....-4 F. That's right DF, -4 !

> Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running
> too, and it hasn't been -4. Not even close.

Maybe he's simply using proper units. ;-)

Tim

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
> > On 2004-12-20, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on
> >> weather. it's a natural bodily function that's supposed to happen
> >> given a set of circumstances not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles
> >> this morning.....-4 F. That's right DF, -4 !

> > Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running
> > too, and it hasn't been -4. Not even close.

> Maybe he's simply using proper units. ;-)

or maybe he's using Celcius. he seems a bit off...that could be it.

> Tim
>

>you're basically asking if a natural bodily function is healthy.

Well just keep in mind, that most of his waking hours are preoccupied by a
particular "bodily function" that involes one arm, and no it's not typing...

>Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running too, and
it hasn't been -4. Not even close.
____

It's now 3PM and 17 F, Feels like 4F w/windchill. It's the high point of the
day. Take a look at the hour by hour temp recorded w/the National Weather
Service for today. When I ran it was 12F with 17 MPH Winds. That's a fact
Donnie. Would you say your statement "it hasn't been -4. Not even close" is
consistent with the facts?

Look, all that matters is what it feels like when we're outside...that's what's
important. Why would you not count the WindChill when the issue is your
body being outside and exposed? How can you not count the WindChill? Of
course I am including the WindChill, as does every weather report...and it was
-4

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KNYC.html

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-12-20, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
>> ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on
>> weather. it's a
>> natural bodily function that's supposed to happen given a set of
>> circumstances
>> not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles this morning.....-4 F.
>> That's right
>> DF, -4 !

> Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running
> too, and
> it hasn't been -4. Not even close. It's less than 20, but more than
> 10. Are
> you counting windchill or something ?

I though he was running on the same road as me in the Catskill
Mountains. We had 5 with a 15-20 mile/hr wind and plodded for 6. To lazy
to calculate wind-chill factor.

What's important is he did do out in the cold regardless of his ability
to read a thermometer(it's part of the GED curriculum <g>) and deserves
an "ata Lance" award.

-Doug

On 2004-12-20, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's now 3PM and 17 F, Feels like 4F w/windchill.

feels-like, schmeels-like. Cold days always come with wind, but why exaggerate
and quote "wind adjusted" temperatures without being explicit about it ? The
temperature is 17F, not 4F.

> Service for today. When I ran it was 12F with 17 MPH Winds. That's a fact
> Donnie. Would you say your statement "it hasn't been -4. Not even close" is
> consistent with the facts?

Well, it was 16F above -4F.

> Look, all that matters is what it feels like when we're outside...that's
> what's important.

Feels OK to me. I came close to 70 last week. Quit being such a crybaby.

Cheers,
--

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 2004-12-20, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
> > ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on weather. it's a
> > natural bodily function that's supposed to happen given a set of circumstances
> > not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles this morning.....-4 F. That's right
> > DF, -4 !

> Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running too, and
> it hasn't been -4. Not even close. It's less than 20, but more than 10. Are
> you counting windchill or something ?

The dewpoint was -4 :)

Ramone Cila wrote:

> "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Are you counting windchill or something ?

> We create our own windchill, don't we. Maybe he's really really fast and can
> turn a 20 degree days into -4 F :^)

O.K., intersting thought. What about on a day like
today running _into_ a steady 25mph wind w/30-40mph
(as opposed to the 98mph up in Berthod) am I adding
to the wind chill or is the wind negating my runner's
wind chill?

Just windy thoughts on a windy day...

Doug Freese wrote:

> "Donovan Rebbechi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 2004-12-20, Lanceandrew <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> ig...you gotta start running man. sweat is not contingent on
> >> weather. it's a
> >> natural bodily function that's supposed to happen given a set of
> >> circumstances
> >> not unlike a BM. i ran 4 hard miles this morning.....-4 F.
> >> That's right
> >> DF, -4 !

> > Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running
> > too, and
> > it hasn't been -4. Not even close. It's less than 20, but more than
> > 10. Are
> > you counting windchill or something ?

> I though he was running on the same road as me in the Catskill
> Mountains. We had 5 with a 15-20 mile/hr wind and plodded for 6. To lazy
> to calculate wind-chill factor.

-13F.

> What's important is he did do out in the cold regardless of his ability
> to read a thermometer(it's part of the GED curriculum <g>) and deserves
> an "ata Lance" award.
>
> -Doug

What about me? it was 54F this afternoon, but with
a steady 30mph wind the wind chill was about 45F.

Course the danger here is not frost bite but being
blown into oncomming traffic with gusts up 100 :)

Lanceandrew wrote:

> >Bull (unless you moved without telling us). I've been outside running too, and

> it hasn't been -4. Not even close.
> ____
>
> It's now 3PM and 17 F, Feels like 4F w/windchill. It's the high point of the
> day. Take a look at the hour by hour temp recorded w/the National Weather
> Service for today. When I ran it was 12F with 17 MPH Winds. That's a fact
> Donnie. Would you say your statement "it hasn't been -4. Not even close" is
> consistent with the facts?
>
> Look, all that matters is what it feels like when we're outside...that's what's
> important. Why would you not count the WindChill when the issue is your
> body being outside and exposed? How can you not count the WindChill? Of
> course I am including the WindChill, as does every weather report...and it was
> -4
>
> http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KNYC.html

Wind chill is really only an issue if the wind is
against bare skin, or to some degree penetrates
clothing. The effect of wind against bare skin is
one of the factors in calculating it.

12F w/17 winds is nippy, unless you're Dot and
aren't happy unless it's 0F and below.

>Wind chill is really only an issue if the wind is against bare skin
-----

....i think you're forgetting the role w/c can also play on the running surface.
i find the potentiality of coming across a patch of black ice increass w/the
increase in windchill (just my experience)... that's actually my greatest
concern in this type of weather...hit a patch of black ice.

i gotta figrue thousands of runners annual suffer all sorts of injuries from
hitting black ice and i bet some on this ng have a few stories of encounters
w/black ice.

>unless you're Dot and
>aren't happy unless it's 0F and below.

That's in her bedroom, not outside.

>i bet some on this ng have a few stories of encounters
>w/black ice.

Here weeeeee go with the "I got a boo-boo" thread....

Lanceandrew wrote:

> >Wind chill is really only an issue if the wind is against bare skin

> -----
>
> ...i think you're forgetting the role w/c can also play on the running surface.
> i find the potentiality of coming across a patch of black ice increass w/the
> increase in windchill (just my experience)... that's actually my greatest
> concern in this type of weather...hit a patch of black ice.
> i gotta figrue thousands of runners annual suffer all sorts of injuries from
> hitting black ice and i bet some on this ng have a few stories of encounters
> w/black ice.

Apparently if it's cold enough to freeze and create
ice, the wind won't make a lot of difference.

The old wind chill charts were much colder and thought
unrealistic for calculating it, since the wind speeds
used were at 33 feet above ground. New wind chills are
calulated at 5 feet above the ground, since this is
the average height it impacts human skin, and are much
warmer. This is from the NWS wind chill info:

What is Wind Chill?

Wind Chill is the term used to describe the rate of heat loss on the
human body resulting from the combined effect of low temperature and
wind. As winds increase, heat is carried away from the body at a faster
rate, driving down both the skin temperature and eventually the internal
body temperature. While exposure to low wind chills can be life
threatening to both humans and animals alike, the only effect that wind
chill has on inanimate objects, such as vehicles, is that it shortens
the time that it takes the object to cool to the actual air temperature
(it cannot cool the object down below that temperature). Water freezes
at 32 degrees regardless of what the wind chill is.

Lanceandrew wrote:

>> >Wind chill is really only an issue if the wind is against bare skin

>> -----
>>
>> ...i think you're forgetting the role w/c can also play on the running surface.
>> i find the potentiality of coming across a patch of black ice increass w/the
>> increase in windchill (just my experience)... that's actually my greatest
>> concern in this type of weather...hit a patch of black ice.
>> i gotta figrue thousands of runners annual suffer all sorts of injuries from
>> hitting black ice and i bet some on this ng have a few stories of encounters
>> w/black ice.

and that's why i don't run outside on the winter. the risk/benefit
ratio is topsy-turvy.
....thehick