Re: Van Impe situation, by Magilla

Michael Press

MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> Answer my question about the cop giving a ticket to Vam Impe on the way
> to the crematorium. Do you think driving safety of other people on the
> road should be contingent on whether the driver is driving to a funeral,
> birthday, or wedding?

I answered it, and you fizzled.

For the hard of hearing. Patrol officers assess the drivers they
stop and determine their course of action on the spot. They are
the sheriff, judge, jury, and executioner. Most of them do it well.

--
Michael Press

On Mar 23, 9:56 am, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> You failed to state to me what the drug courier should have done
> differently.

Wait until van Impe was leaving the crematorium. What's his hurry?
He's paid by the hour - and you're apparently paid by the word.

RicodJour wrote:

> On Mar 23, 9:56 am, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>You failed to state to me what the drug courier should have done
>>differently.

> Wait until van Impe was leaving the crematorium. What's his hurry?
> He's paid by the hour - and you're apparently paid by the word.

Couple things for you, punk boy:

1) How is waiting until he left the crematorium really any differennt
than doing it quickly and getting over considering it was the whole
grief angle you are really pushing with the crematorium thing anyway,
and not the fact that he is in the middle of doing "something."

2) The dope couriers don't have all day to wait and have other athletes
to test, other things to do such as mail the samle. So waiting 2 hours
is not an option. If the courier had to wait 2-3 hours (or more) for
each athlete, they would never get their job done.

3) Let's say the dope tester showed up at 2 p.m . and Van Impe told him
to wait to 5 p.m....but the courier declined because waiting would mean
the urine sample would not make it out in time for next day arrival with
overnnight shipping, thus compromising the integrity of the sample for
testing. Do you think the courier wants to be the center of attention
in a doping case where the athlete is alleging his positive urine test
was due to contamination for sitting at room temperature for 24 hours
instead of being shipped overnight delivery? (i.e. an argument which
Jeanson asserted in her case, alleging her EPO positive was caused by
bacterial contamination due to a lack of refrigeration during
transportation)

Listen to me. WADA already thought of these things which is why they
have hav the policy they do and tell their couriers they will be fired
if they allow the athlete to delay the collection of the sample for even
10 minutes.

4) If you allow riders to delay testing, they can take masking agents,
IV infusions, or water to dilute their urine, or get ahold of some other
test-defeating method or substance (i.e. laundry detergent which
interferes with the EPO test). That's why once the courier makes eye
contact with the athlete, they are never suppose to let them out of
their sight until the sample is collected, let alone "come back in 2 hours."

-------------

So I applaud the courier who followed the rules. The courier was not
even responsible for picking Van Impe for OOC testing nor the day he was
to be tested.

But obviously you are too goddamn stupid to think of these sound reasons
because you, like most of the idiots in here, are only capable of
thinking like someone with a 900 SAT score would think.

Think before you post.

Magilla

"MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> 1) How is waiting until he left the crematorium really any differennt than
> doing it quickly and getting over considering it was the whole grief angle
> you are really pushing with the crematorium thing anyway, and not the fact
> that he is in the middle of doing "something."
>
> 2) The dope couriers don't have all day to wait and have other athletes to
> test, other things to do such as mail the samle. So waiting 2 hours is
> not an option. If the courier had to wait 2-3 hours (or more) for each
> athlete, they would never get their job done.
>
> 3) Let's say the dope tester showed up at 2 p.m . and Van Impe told him to
> wait to 5 p.m....but the courier declined because waiting would mean the
> urine sample would not make it out in time for next day arrival with
> overnnight shipping, thus compromising the integrity of the sample for
> testing. Do you think the courier wants to be the center of attention in
> a doping case where the athlete is alleging his positive urine test was
> due to contamination for sitting at room temperature for 24 hours instead
> of being shipped overnight delivery? (i.e. an argument which Jeanson
> asserted in her case, alleging her EPO positive was caused by bacterial
> contamination due to a lack of refrigeration during transportation)
>
> Listen to me. WADA already thought of these things which is why they have
> hav the policy they do and tell their couriers they will be fired if they
> allow the athlete to delay the collection of the sample for even 10
> minutes.
>
> 4) If you allow riders to delay testing, they can take masking agents, IV
> infusions, or water to dilute their urine, or get ahold of some other
> test-defeating method or substance (i.e. laundry detergent which
> interferes with the EPO test). That's why once the courier makes eye
> contact with the athlete, they are never suppose to let them out of their
> sight until the sample is collected, let alone "come back in 2 hours."

(This is not a trick question) Do you have a link to courier protocol? I
find the 10 minute rule hard to believe.

In article <[email protected]>,
MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> RicodJour wrote:
>
> > On Mar 23, 9:56 am, MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>You failed to state to me what the drug courier should have done
> >>differently.

> > Wait until van Impe was leaving the crematorium. What's his hurry?
> > He's paid by the hour - and you're apparently paid by the word.

> Couple things for you, punk boy:
>
> 1) How is waiting until he left the crematorium really any differennt
> than doing it quickly and getting over considering it was the whole
> grief angle you are really pushing with the crematorium thing anyway,
> and not the fact that he is in the middle of doing "something."
>
> 2) The dope couriers don't have all day to wait and have other athletes
> to test, other things to do such as mail the samle. So waiting 2 hours
> is not an option. If the courier had to wait 2-3 hours (or more) for
> each athlete, they would never get their job done.

Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
chose. Your argument is cooked.

--
Michael Press

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> 1) How is waiting until he left the crematorium really any differennt
>> than doing it quickly and getting over considering it was the whole
>> grief angle you are really pushing with the crematorium thing anyway,
>> and not the fact that he is in the middle of doing "something."
>>
>> 2) The dope couriers don't have all day to wait and have other
>> athletes to test, other things to do such as mail the samle. So
>> waiting 2 hours is not an option. If the courier had to wait 2-3
>> hours (or more) for each athlete, they would never get their job done.
>>
>> 3) Let's say the dope tester showed up at 2 p.m . and Van Impe told
>> him to wait to 5 p.m....but the courier declined because waiting would
>> mean the urine sample would not make it out in time for next day
>> arrival with overnnight shipping, thus compromising the integrity of
>> the sample for testing. Do you think the courier wants to be the
>> center of attention in a doping case where the athlete is alleging his
>> positive urine test was due to contamination for sitting at room
>> temperature for 24 hours instead of being shipped overnight delivery?
>> (i.e. an argument which Jeanson asserted in her case, alleging her EPO
>> positive was caused by bacterial contamination due to a lack of
>> refrigeration during transportation)
>>
>> Listen to me. WADA already thought of these things which is why they
>> have hav the policy they do and tell their couriers they will be fired
>> if they allow the athlete to delay the collection of the sample for
>> even 10 minutes.
>>
>> 4) If you allow riders to delay testing, they can take masking agents,
>> IV infusions, or water to dilute their urine, or get ahold of some
>> other test-defeating method or substance (i.e. laundry detergent which
>> interferes with the EPO test). That's why once the courier makes eye
>> contact with the athlete, they are never suppose to let them out of
>> their sight until the sample is collected, let alone "come back in 2
>> hours."

> (This is not a trick question) Do you have a link to courier protocol? I
> find the 10 minute rule hard to believe.

It's obviously not 10 minutes because it might take longer to get a
urine sample from someone who is dehydrated. But they are not suppose
to let you leave their sight.

Magilla

Michael Press wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>RicodJour wrote:

>>>Wait until van Impe was leaving the crematorium. What's his hurry?
>>>He's paid by the hour - and you're apparently paid by the word.

>>Couple things for you, punk boy:
>>
>>1) How is waiting until he left the crematorium really any differennt
>>than doing it quickly and getting over considering it was the whole
>>grief angle you are really pushing with the crematorium thing anyway,
>>and not the fact that he is in the middle of doing "something."
>>
>>2) The dope couriers don't have all day to wait and have other athletes
>>to test, other things to do such as mail the samle. So waiting 2 hours
>>is not an option. If the courier had to wait 2-3 hours (or more) for
>>each athlete, they would never get their job done.

> Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
> they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
> chose. Your argument is cooked.

The COURIER didn't chose jack. He just went to where he was told to go.
It is unlikely Van Impe listed on his location form he was going to be
at the crematorium that day. The courier likely went to his house and
was told Van Impe was at the crematorium.

The courier has no choice but to locate the athlete and collect the same
ASAP, so it doesn't matter where he was.

This is going to be funny if Van Impe's sample comes back positive. Then
I'm really gonna rub your face in it.

Magilla

In article <[email protected]>,
MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Couple things for you, punk boy:
> >>
> >>1) How is waiting until he left the crematorium really any differennt
> >>than doing it quickly and getting over considering it was the whole
> >>grief angle you are really pushing with the crematorium thing anyway,
> >>and not the fact that he is in the middle of doing "something."
> >>
> >>2) The dope couriers don't have all day to wait and have other athletes
> >>to test, other things to do such as mail the samle. So waiting 2 hours
> >>is not an option. If the courier had to wait 2-3 hours (or more) for
> >>each athlete, they would never get their job done.

> > Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
> > they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
> > chose. Your argument is cooked.

> The COURIER didn't chose jack. He just went to where he was told to go.
> It is unlikely Van Impe listed on his location form he was going to be
> at the crematorium that day. The courier likely went to his house and
> was told Van Impe was at the crematorium.
>
> The courier has no choice but to locate the athlete and collect the same
> ASAP, so it doesn't matter where he was.
>
> This is going to be funny if Van Impe's sample comes back positive. Then
> I'm really gonna rub your face in it.

Once again. I will speak loudly and slowly so you will
be sure to understand. The **** police knew where Van Impe
would be at all times. They chose _when_ to collect a sample.

--
Michael Press

"MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
>> they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
>> chose. Your argument is cooked.

> The COURIER didn't chose jack. He just went to where he was told to go.
> It is unlikely Van Impe listed on his location form he was going to be at
> the crematorium that day. The courier likely went to his house and was
> told Van Impe was at the crematorium.
>
> The courier has no choice but to locate the athlete and collect the same
> ASAP, so it doesn't matter where he was.
>
> This is going to be funny if Van Impe's sample comes back positive. Then
> I'm really gonna rub your face in it.

Although I agree with you that it is extremely unlikely that VI listed where
he was going to be that day (not that he would have acted in an evasive
manner, but day to day details in the samelocation are not required), but
are you really gonna rub your own face in it if his sample comes back
negative?

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Once again. I will speak loudly and slowly so you will
> be sure to understand. The **** police knew where Van Impe
> would be at all times. They chose _when_ to collect a sample.

In MG's defense, the Belgian cycling Federation and WADA (or anyone else)
likely had no idea that VI would be at a crematorium that particular day.
The may have known that he would be at home, then followed a trail of
locations (hospital, home, crematorium) and just arbitrarily located him
while he was at the crematorium making the tragic arrangements.

That said, I'm not sure how the sensitivity of the situation could have been
managed with the discretion and respect for the loss that VI's family had
suffered just hours before.

MG, do you think sample procurement under these circumstances was envisioned
when WADA drew up it's testing protocol?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
> >> they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
> >> chose. Your argument is cooked.

> > The COURIER didn't chose jack. He just went to where he was told to go.
> > It is unlikely Van Impe listed on his location form he was going to be at
> > the crematorium that day. The courier likely went to his house and was
> > told Van Impe was at the crematorium.
> >
> > The courier has no choice but to locate the athlete and collect the same
> > ASAP, so it doesn't matter where he was.
> >
> > This is going to be funny if Van Impe's sample comes back positive. Then
> > I'm really gonna rub your face in it.

> Although I agree with you that it is extremely unlikely that VI listed where
> he was going to be that day (not that he would have acted in an evasive
> manner, but day to day details in the samelocation are not required), but
> are you really gonna rub your own face in it if his sample comes back
> negative?

Man, if I'm the WADA courier and I realize that van Impe is at the
crematorium arranging for the burial of his own son, maybe I just sort
of hide out of sight for a few hours until he drives home and "first
sight" him there, eh?

I'm all for honesty in testing and yadda yadda, but I think we can agree
that an unofficial wait of a couple of hours until van Impe was home
isn't likely to harm anyone (the concept of cyclists sneaking into
crematoria for a few hours to do their dirty doping deeds is not quite
bizarre enough to be unbelievable, alas).

But if this was the least of the outrages perpetrated by various
anti-doping strategies, I'd be happy.

On Mar 23, 11:33 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm all for honesty in testing and yadda yadda, but I think we can agree
> that an unofficial wait of a couple of hours until van Impe was home
> isn't likely to harm anyone (the concept of cyclists sneaking into
> crematoria for a few hours to do their dirty doping deeds is not quite
> bizarre enough to be unbelievable, alas).
>
> But if this was the least of the outrages perpetrated by various
> anti-doping strategies, I'd be happy.

Yeah, this testing is extremely invasive. The riders essentially give
up all privacy rights. If your job is to get those samples you just
get used to barging in on people at very inopportune times and making
outrageous demands. This is just an example of how inopportune that
timing can be. This job must be like a combination of working for the
IRS and giving out speeding and parking tickets- everybody hates you.

Maybe at some future time they'll be able to take fingernail clippings
or something similar where it's quick, easy, and not so demeaning.

I wasn't looking forward to being drug tested the last time I got a
new job, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they had stopped
drug testing and instead did a background check on new hires.
Hopefully drug testing in sports will continue to evolve and they can
find a way to put these outrageous violations of privacy behind them.
-Paul

Michael Press wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Michael Press wrote:

>>>Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
>>>they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
>>>chose. Your argument is cooked.

>>The COURIER didn't chose jack. He just went to where he was told to go.
>> It is unlikely Van Impe listed on his location form he was going to be
>>at the crematorium that day. The courier likely went to his house and
>>was told Van Impe was at the crematorium.
>>
>>The courier has no choice but to locate the athlete and collect the same
>>ASAP, so it doesn't matter where he was.
>>
>>This is going to be funny if Van Impe's sample comes back positive. Then
>>I'm really gonna rub your face in it.

> Once again. I will speak loudly and slowly so you will
> be sure to understand. The **** police knew where Van Impe
> would be at all times. They chose _when_ to collect a sample.

I seriously doubt the **** police knew he would be at the crematorium
that day. What most likely happened was he went to the crematorium and
the courier went to his house, knocked on his door and discovered he
wasn't home. Van Impe then likely got a phone call from the courier
asking where he was and telling him he needed to be tested.

So Van Impe told him where he was.

But the idea that somebody "knew" he was at the crematorium when they
decided to test him is ********.

You're trying to make the dope testers out to be mean people simply by
lying about what actually transpired.

Magilla

"Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This job must be like a combination of working for the IRS and
> giving out speeding and parking tickets- everybody hates you.

Not to put too fine a point on it but the IRS wouldn't drag you out of a
funeral.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Once again. I will speak loudly and slowly so you will
>> be sure to understand. The **** police knew where Van Impe
>> would be at all times. They chose _when_ to collect a sample.

> In MG's defense, the Belgian cycling Federation and WADA (or anyone
> else) likely had no idea that VI would be at a crematorium that
> particular day. The may have known that he would be at home, then
> followed a trail of locations (hospital, home, crematorium) and just
> arbitrarily located him while he was at the crematorium making the
> tragic arrangements.
>
> That said, I'm not sure how the sensitivity of the situation could have
> been managed with the discretion and respect for the loss that VI's
> family had suffered just hours before.
>

> MG, do you think sample procurement under these circumstances was
> envisioned when WADA drew up it's testing protocol?

Yes, I think WADA forsaw such issues because think about it: weddings,
honeymoons, births of a son/daughter, funerals, wakes, graduations,
communions, Bar mitzvahs, etc.

Now multiply each example above by every member in one's family and
extended family (sibling, nephew, niece, cousin, grandparent, etc.). At
some point, you will be forced to conclude that every athlete can be
expected to have literally 10-20 "special occasion days" in their career
as a pro athlete.

I think the problem is people are correlating the dope test with the
crematorium for some unnecessary reason. There is no correlation.

It would be like asking your postman why he is delivering your mail on
the day when your son died and then complaining to the Postmaster
General in Washington D.C.. Or why your credit card company sent you a
bill on your wedding day...or why the cop gave you a speeding ticket on
the way to your son's crematorium/wake/funeral/birth.

I don't understand why people are correlating the two. The courier
didn't even want to get involved in anything personal with Van Impe - he
just wanted a urine sample.

I don't think the courier needs to be sensitive at all because he's
there to do a job without having to be dragged through some kind of
emotional roller coaster or guilt trip due to an athlete's personal life
circumstances.

Magilla

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>> Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
>>> they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
>>> chose. Your argument is cooked.

>> The COURIER didn't chose jack. He just went to where he was told to
>> go. It is unlikely Van Impe listed on his location form he was going
>> to be at the crematorium that day. The courier likely went to his
>> house and was told Van Impe was at the crematorium.
>>
>> The courier has no choice but to locate the athlete and collect the
>> same ASAP, so it doesn't matter where he was.
>>
>> This is going to be funny if Van Impe's sample comes back positive.
>> Then I'm really gonna rub your face in it.

> Although I agree with you that it is extremely unlikely that VI listed
> where he was going to be that day (not that he would have acted in an
> evasive manner, but day to day details in the samelocation are not
> required), but are you really gonna rub your own face in it if his
> sample comes back negative?

No, because I never said the courier did anything wrong. Why should I
get my faced rubbed in anything?

Magilla

Tom Kunich wrote:

> "MagillaGorilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> What most likely happened was

> Need we know anything more about our expert witless?

Dude,

The burden of proof is on you to prove the dope testers knew VI was at
the baby bakery.

Besides, I'm sure Van Impe would confirm the courier found him on his
own and that nobody from WADA even knew his son died.

What is the point of what you are saying? Even if you could prove that
the UCI did it on purpose, it still wouldn't make it illegal since Van
Impe agreed to be tested at funerals and weddings.

You have no point to anything you say.

Magilla

Paul G. wrote:

> On Mar 23, 11:33 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I'm all for honesty in testing and yadda yadda, but I think we can agree
>>that an unofficial wait of a couple of hours until van Impe was home
>>isn't likely to harm anyone (the concept of cyclists sneaking into
>>crematoria for a few hours to do their dirty doping deeds is not quite
>>bizarre enough to be unbelievable, alas).
>>
>>But if this was the least of the outrages perpetrated by various
>>anti-doping strategies, I'd be happy.

> Yeah, this testing is extremely invasive. The riders essentially give
> up all privacy rights. If your job is to get those samples you just
> get used to barging in on people at very inopportune times and making
> outrageous demands. This is just an example of how inopportune that
> timing can be. This job must be like a combination of working for the
> IRS and giving out speeding and parking tickets- everybody hates you.
>
> Maybe at some future time they'll be able to take fingernail clippings
> or something similar where it's quick, easy, and not so demeaning.
>
> I wasn't looking forward to being drug tested the last time I got a
> new job, and was pleasantly surprised to learn that they had stopped
> drug testing and instead did a background check on new hires.
> Hopefully drug testing in sports will continue to evolve and they can
> find a way to put these outrageous violations of privacy behind them.
> -Paul

Not sure how a background check is a substitute for a drug test.

Do you think Tyler Hamilton and Floyd Landis would have passed a
"background" check.

Magilla

In article <[email protected]>,
MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > MagillaGorilla <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Couple things for you, punk boy:
> >>
> >>1) How is waiting until he left the crematorium really any differennt
> >>than doing it quickly and getting over considering it was the whole
> >>grief angle you are really pushing with the crematorium thing anyway,
> >>and not the fact that he is in the middle of doing "something."
> >>
> >>2) The dope couriers don't have all day to wait and have other athletes
> >>to test, other things to do such as mail the samle. So waiting 2 hours
> >>is not an option. If the courier had to wait 2-3 hours (or more) for
> >>each athlete, they would never get their job done.

> > Since VI registered his schedule with the **** police,
> > they had the choice of when to collect a sample. They
> > chose. Your argument is cooked.

> The COURIER didn't chose jack. He just went to where he was told to go.
> It is unlikely Van Impe listed on his location form he was going to be
> at the crematorium that day. The courier likely went to his house and
> was told Van Impe was at the crematorium.
>
> The courier has no choice but to locate the athlete and collect the same
> ASAP, so it doesn't matter where he was.
>
> This is going to be funny if Van Impe's sample comes back positive. Then
> I'm really gonna rub your face in it.

At this point WADA is honor bound to get a positive.

--
Michael Press