Re: Vandeman applying Republican tactics to the environment

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 May 2006 20:23:08 GMT, "Jules Augley"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>>Im well aware of Vandemans 'work' and website.
>>>
>>>As for calling my bluff, once the project has been marked I can post
>>>substantial pieces of the report. But for now, he conducted and
>>>experiment in a regional park in Scotland. The experiment consisted of
>>>measuring impacts caused by both mountain bikers and walkers on
>>>vegetation, in two different habitat types (woodland and grassland) and
>>>on three different gradients (downhill, uphill and flat). Guess what, the
>>>results of his ANOVA showed NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE between mountain
>>>biking and walking.

>> So, in other words, he made the same error in logic that all other
>> "researchers" did: ignoring the grossly different DISTANCES that
>> hikers vs. bikers travel. Since he only measured impact PER FOOT, it
>> follows that mountain bikers have several times the impact of hikers,
>> since they travel several times as far! Idiot.
>>
>> There

> Mike, we've been over this before. Impact per foot is the same and you
> appear to have no problem with that statement.
>
> Granted, bikes do go further; however, you keep forgetting that hikers
> have more impact in the areas they do travel due to their sheer
> numbers....one cyclist going 2x or 3x as far has less impact than the 100
> hikers out there for every mountain biker.

Most trails that hikers have a great impact on are rather short trails
located near popular trail heads and visitor centers. Once you get beyond
the first few miles, you are into true hiking country where there are few
hikers at which point there is very little impact on the trail. As usual,
Vandeman is right and Halliwell is wrong.

> Taken as a whole with total impacts of mountain biking vs hiking (and
> taking into account the relative populations of participants in the
> sport), then mountain biking does less *total* damage. Perhaps you should
> be trying to get Ed to stay off his walking paths, hiking trails and
> "sacred places?" There are a few good hiking related newsgroups out there
> that I'm sure would be happy to hear from you.

The Great Ed Dolan mainly treks where few others venture to go. On many of
my hikes I can go for days without ever encountering anyone at all. When
that happens, I know I am in paradise.

All wilderness is sacred to me. The reason for that is because there is so
little of it left. Halliwell is a Canadian and there may be more wilderness
left in that huge country. But as goes the US, so goes the rest of the
world. Halliwell should be very worried about the future of wilderness
everywhere in the world.

Curtiss and his ilk want mountain bikes to be able to go everywhere,
desecrating and despoiling everything in their wake. They are soulless
creatures who know nothing of the sacred and have no notion of wilderness
and what it is good for. The out-of-doors is nothing but a playground to
them. They are the ultimate savages and not worthy of living in a civilized
society. In short, they belong in New Guinea or Borneo.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Mike Vandeman wrote:

>>>So, in other words, he made the same error in logic that all other
>>>"researchers" did: ignoring the grossly different DISTANCES that
>>>hikers vs. bikers travel. Since he only measured impact PER FOOT, it
>>>follows that mountain bikers have several times the impact of hikers,
>>>since they travel several times as far! Idiot.
>>>
>>> There

>>Mike, we've been over this before. Impact per foot is the same and you
>>appear to have no problem with that statement.
>>
>>Granted, bikes do go further; however, you keep forgetting that hikers
>>have more impact in the areas they do travel due to their sheer
>>numbers....one cyclist going 2x or 3x as far has less impact than the 100
>>hikers out there for every mountain biker.

> Most trails that hikers have a great impact on are rather short trails
> located near popular trail heads and visitor centers. Once you get beyond
> the first few miles, you are into true hiking country where there are few
> hikers at which point there is very little impact on the trail. As usual,
> Vandeman is right and Halliwell is wrong.

Funny...I'm seeing more and more hikers out trying to get away from the
"go for a walk in the woods with the kids" crowd and venturing further
and further out....more hikers = more damage.

Besides, have you seen what the day trippers are doing to the trail heads?

>>Taken as a whole with total impacts of mountain biking vs hiking (and
>>taking into account the relative populations of participants in the
>>sport), then mountain biking does less *total* damage. Perhaps you should
>>be trying to get Ed to stay off his walking paths, hiking trails and
>>"sacred places?" There are a few good hiking related newsgroups out there
>>that I'm sure would be happy to hear from you.

> The Great Ed Dolan mainly treks where few others venture to go. On many of
> my hikes I can go for days without ever encountering anyone at all. When
> that happens, I know I am in paradise.

Good for you...that puts you in a slightly different league than a vast
majority of the "hikers" out there.

> Curtiss and his ilk want mountain bikes to be able to go everywhere,
> desecrating and despoiling everything in their wake. They are soulless
> creatures who know nothing of the sacred and have no notion of wilderness
> and what it is good for. The out-of-doors is nothing but a playground to
> them. They are the ultimate savages and not worthy of living in a civilized
> society. In short, they belong in New Guinea or Borneo.

I see...you haven't read his stated goals...he (Mr. Curtiss) has stated
his aim is not to cycle *everywhere* and that there are areas he feels
should be protected (i.e. areas with wilderness designations). Besides
that, do you want to send mountain bikers to some of the almost
untouched areas of the south pacific? Sure, it would be a beautiiful
ride, but I thought you were into the protection of wilderness thing,
not the "ship the mountain bikers off to ride elsewhere" thing (in less
developed areas, at that!)

Michael Halliwell

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Michael Halliwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>>Mike, we've been over this before. Impact per foot is the same and you
>>>appear to have no problem with that statement.
>>>
>>>Granted, bikes do go further; however, you keep forgetting that hikers
>>>have more impact in the areas they do travel due to their sheer
>>>numbers....one cyclist going 2x or 3x as far has less impact than the 100
>>>hikers out there for every mountain biker.

>> Most trails that hikers have a great impact on are rather short trails
>> located near popular trail heads and visitor centers. Once you get beyond
>> the first few miles, you are into true hiking country where there are few
>> hikers at which point there is very little impact on the trail. As usual,
>> Vandeman is right and Halliwell is wrong.
>>

> Funny...I'm seeing more and more hikers out trying to get away from the
> "go for a walk in the woods with the kids" crowd and venturing further and
> further out....more hikers = more damage.
>
> Besides, have you seen what the day trippers are doing to the trail heads?

I have already admitted that hikers can be as slovenly as bikers.
Enforcement of the rules and regulations is the answer. I do fault the
rangers for not being strict enough. Some stiff fines would solve a lot of
the problems.

>>>Taken as a whole with total impacts of mountain biking vs hiking (and
>>>taking into account the relative populations of participants in the
>>>sport), then mountain biking does less *total* damage. Perhaps you
>>>should be trying to get Ed to stay off his walking paths, hiking trails
>>>and "sacred places?" There are a few good hiking related newsgroups out
>>>there that I'm sure would be happy to hear from you.

>> The Great Ed Dolan mainly treks where few others venture to go. On many
>> of my hikes I can go for days without ever encountering anyone at all.
>> When that happens, I know I am in paradise.

> Good for you...that puts you in a slightly different league than a vast
> majority of the "hikers" out there.

I once went hiking in the central Idaho wilderness (Bob Marshall) and scared
myself half to death. It goes on forever and there is never anyone in that
area. I think it is mainly set up for equestrians as I never saw another
hiker for the entire week I was there. Hells Bells, I didn't even see any
equestrians.

>> Curtiss and his ilk want mountain bikes to be able to go everywhere,
>> desecrating and despoiling everything in their wake. They are soulless
>> creatures who know nothing of the sacred and have no notion of wilderness
>> and what it is good for. The out-of-doors is nothing but a playground to
>> them. They are the ultimate savages and not worthy of living in a
>> civilized society. In short, they belong in New Guinea or Borneo.

> I see...you haven't read his stated goals...he (Mr. Curtiss) has stated
> his aim is not to cycle *everywhere* and that there are areas he feels
> should be protected (i.e. areas with wilderness designations). Besides
> that, do you want to send mountain bikers to some of the almost untouched
> areas of the south pacific? Sure, it would be a beautiiful ride, but I
> thought you were into the protection of wilderness thing, not the "ship
> the mountain bikers off to ride elsewhere" thing (in less developed areas,
> at that!)

Yes, I am aware of where Curtiss is at, but it is just too much fun to kid
him. Besides, I do not like the way all of you gang up on Vandeman. He is
purist admittedly, but we need his type to remind us of what would be ideal
in a perfect world.

I would just like mountain bikers to stay on some kind of road as opposed to
any kind of trail. Here in the Upper Midwest there are literally thousands
of miles of gravel roads. The Black Hills of South Dakota is like this too.
It just seems to me that there is hardly ever any reason for mountain bikes
to be on hiking trails when there are so many unpaved roads for them to be
on.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Yes, I am aware of where Curtiss is at, but it is just too much fun to kid
> him. Besides, I do not like the way all of you gang up on Vandeman. He is
> purist admittedly, but we need his type to remind us of what would be ideal
> in a perfect world.

I don't fault Mike for being an idealist or purist....but rather his
"science." If he wants to claim that the science supports him, he needs
to be solidly scientific...more so than those he is trying to "debunk."
Not answering a legitimate question (esp. those of a scientific
nature) or resorting to snubs ("Liar", "Did you say something" and so
forth) or personal attacks does not support his case.

Given the way he comes across, it is not the least bit surprising that
he has drawn a number of people to dispute his posts. The "ganging up"
has as much to do with his posts as it does the responses.

> I would just like mountain bikers to stay on some kind of road as opposed to
> any kind of trail. Here in the Upper Midwest there are literally thousands
> of miles of gravel roads. The Black Hills of South Dakota is like this too.
> It just seems to me that there is hardly ever any reason for mountain bikes
> to be on hiking trails when there are so many unpaved roads for them to be
> on.

Personally, I try to avoid the "hiking" trails and stick to the "bike"
trails. Up here, there are plenty of both. If I find myself on
multi-use trails, I make sure I'm courteous and share the trail with
other users, be they hiking, biking, horseback riding or using an ORV.

Michael Halliwell

On Fri, 26 May 2006 06:04:18 GMT, Michael Halliwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I am aware of where Curtiss is at, but it is just too much fun to kid
>> him. Besides, I do not like the way all of you gang up on Vandeman. He is
>> purist admittedly, but we need his type to remind us of what would be ideal
>> in a perfect world.
>>

>I don't fault Mike for being an idealist or purist....but rather his
>"science." If he wants to claim that the science supports him, he needs
>to be solidly scientific...more so than those he is trying to "debunk."
> Not answering a legitimate question (esp. those of a scientific
>nature) or resorting to snubs ("Liar", "Did you say something" and so
>forth) or personal attacks does not support his case.
>
>Given the way he comes across, it is not the least bit surprising that
>he has drawn a number of people to dispute his posts. The "ganging up"
>has as much to do with his posts as it does the responses.

BS. Mountain bikers gang up on ANYONE who tells the truth about their
selfish, destructive sport. If you were interested in science, you
would address the science, instead of my image. You AREN'T!

>> I would just like mountain bikers to stay on some kind of road as opposed to
>> any kind of trail. Here in the Upper Midwest there are literally thousands
>> of miles of gravel roads. The Black Hills of South Dakota is like this too.
>> It just seems to me that there is hardly ever any reason for mountain bikes
>> to be on hiking trails when there are so many unpaved roads for them to be
>> on.
>>

>Personally, I try to avoid the "hiking" trails and stick to the "bike"
>trails. Up here, there are plenty of both. If I find myself on
>multi-use trails, I make sure I'm courteous and share the trail with
>other users, be they hiking, biking, horseback riding or using an ORV.

That does nothing to help those driven away by the presence of bikes.

>Michael Halliwell

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2006 06:04:18 GMT, Michael Halliwell
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Edward Dolan wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, I am aware of where Curtiss is at, but it is just too much fun to kid
>>>him. Besides, I do not like the way all of you gang up on Vandeman. He is
>>>purist admittedly, but we need his type to remind us of what would be ideal
>>>in a perfect world.
>>>

>>I don't fault Mike for being an idealist or purist....but rather his
>>"science." If he wants to claim that the science supports him, he needs
>>to be solidly scientific...more so than those he is trying to "debunk."
>> Not answering a legitimate question (esp. those of a scientific
>>nature) or resorting to snubs ("Liar", "Did you say something" and so
>>forth) or personal attacks does not support his case.
>>
>>Given the way he comes across, it is not the least bit surprising that
>>he has drawn a number of people to dispute his posts. The "ganging up"
>>has as much to do with his posts as it does the responses.

> BS. Mountain bikers gang up on ANYONE who tells the truth about their
> selfish, destructive sport. If you were interested in science, you
> would address the science, instead of my image. You AREN'T!

Mike, your inflamatory postings just contribute to the "ganging up."
When people address the science or your constantly re-posted "reviews",
you don't reply with solid scientific fact but rather claim they are
citing "junk science" because it doesn't reflect your opinions or come
from your webspace. More often than not, you revert to comments such as
"Lair!" or "Did you say something?" or 'that's not true...see my
webpage' or something similar. You are equally as responsible for the
types of responses you get because, at least from my perspective, you
actively seek them out (troll for them).

>>>I would just like mountain bikers to stay on some kind of road as opposed to
>>>any kind of trail. Here in the Upper Midwest there are literally thousands
>>>of miles of gravel roads. The Black Hills of South Dakota is like this too.
>>>It just seems to me that there is hardly ever any reason for mountain bikes
>>>to be on hiking trails when there are so many unpaved roads for them to be
>>>on.
>>>

>>Personally, I try to avoid the "hiking" trails and stick to the "bike"
>>trails. Up here, there are plenty of both. If I find myself on
>>multi-use trails, I make sure I'm courteous and share the trail with
>>other users, be they hiking, biking, horseback riding or using an ORV.

> That does nothing to help those driven away by the presence of bikes.

No, neither does the presence of beer bottles, illegal camp fires,
litter and so forth I have seen left by HIKERS on the trails. I try not
to let the occasional "bad apple" ruin my objectivity...but some people
find any excuse to blame someone else for their problems.

Michael Halliwell

On Sun, 28 May 2006 18:20:48 GMT, Michael Halliwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 May 2006 06:04:18 GMT, Michael Halliwell
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>I don't fault Mike for being an idealist or purist....but rather his
>>>"science." If he wants to claim that the science supports him, he needs
>>>to be solidly scientific...more so than those he is trying to "debunk."
>>> Not answering a legitimate question (esp. those of a scientific
>>>nature) or resorting to snubs ("Liar", "Did you say something" and so
>>>forth) or personal attacks does not support his case.
>>>
>>>Given the way he comes across, it is not the least bit surprising that
>>>he has drawn a number of people to dispute his posts. The "ganging up"
>>>has as much to do with his posts as it does the responses.

>> BS. Mountain bikers gang up on ANYONE who tells the truth about their
>> selfish, destructive sport. If you were interested in science, you
>> would address the science, instead of my image. You AREN'T!

>Mike, your inflamatory postings just contribute to the "ganging up."
>When people address the science or your constantly re-posted "reviews",
>you don't reply with solid scientific fact but rather claim they are
>citing "junk science" because it doesn't reflect your opinions or come
>from your webspace. More often than not, you revert to comments such as
>"Lair!" or "Did you say something?" or 'that's not true...see my
>webpage' or something similar. You are equally as responsible for the
>types of responses you get because, at least from my perspective, you
>actively seek them out (troll for them).

Right. Blame the victim. It's easier than telling the truth.

>>>Personally, I try to avoid the "hiking" trails and stick to the "bike"
>>>trails. Up here, there are plenty of both. If I find myself on
>>>multi-use trails, I make sure I'm courteous and share the trail with
>>>other users, be they hiking, biking, horseback riding or using an ORV.

>> That does nothing to help those driven away by the presence of bikes.

>No, neither does the presence of beer bottles, illegal camp fires,
>litter and so forth I have seen left by HIKERS on the trails. I try not
>to let the occasional "bad apple" ruin my objectivity...but some people
>find any excuse to blame someone else for their problems.

Nobody is talking about "a few bad apples". In the case of mountain
bikers, it is EVERYONE. The effect of bikes has nothing to do with
whether they are bad apples or not.

>Michael Halliwell

===

Mike Vandeman wrote:

>>Mike, your inflamatory postings just contribute to the "ganging up."
>>When people address the science or your constantly re-posted "reviews",
>>you don't reply with solid scientific fact but rather claim they are
>>citing "junk science" because it doesn't reflect your opinions or come

>>from your webspace. More often than not, you revert to comments such as

>>"Lair!" or "Did you say something?" or 'that's not true...see my
>>webpage' or something similar. You are equally as responsible for the
>>types of responses you get because, at least from my perspective, you
>>actively seek them out (troll for them).

> Right. Blame the victim. It's easier than telling the truth.

and

>>>That does nothing to help those driven away by the presence of bikes.

>>No, neither does the presence of beer bottles, illegal camp fires,
>>litter and so forth I have seen left by HIKERS on the trails. I try not
>>to let the occasional "bad apple" ruin my objectivity...but some people
>>find any excuse to blame someone else for their problems.

> Nobody is talking about "a few bad apples". In the case of mountain
> bikers, it is EVERYONE. The effect of bikes has nothing to do with
> whether they are bad apples or not.

Thank you for making my point, Mike...you've never met me face to face,
seen the way I ride, where I ride, who I ride with or anything of the
sort, but you imply that I lie, then imply that because I ride a bike
off road I'm a "bad apple"...and you wonder why you attract the negative

Sheesh, when you become a real scientist, let me know, I might pay some
attention to you again.

Michael Halliwell

On Mon, 29 May 2006 05:52:11 GMT, Michael Halliwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>
>>>Mike, your inflamatory postings just contribute to the "ganging up."
>>>When people address the science or your constantly re-posted "reviews",
>>>you don't reply with solid scientific fact but rather claim they are
>>>citing "junk science" because it doesn't reflect your opinions or come

>>>from your webspace. More often than not, you revert to comments such as

>>>"Lair!" or "Did you say something?" or 'that's not true...see my
>>>webpage' or something similar. You are equally as responsible for the
>>>types of responses you get because, at least from my perspective, you
>>>actively seek them out (troll for them).

>> Right. Blame the victim. It's easier than telling the truth.
>>

>and

>>>No, neither does the presence of beer bottles, illegal camp fires,
>>>litter and so forth I have seen left by HIKERS on the trails. I try not
>>>to let the occasional "bad apple" ruin my objectivity...but some people
>>>find any excuse to blame someone else for their problems.

>> Nobody is talking about "a few bad apples". In the case of mountain
>> bikers, it is EVERYONE. The effect of bikes has nothing to do with
>> whether they are bad apples or not.
>>

>Thank you for making my point, Mike...you've never met me face to face,
>seen the way I ride, where I ride, who I ride with or anything of the
>sort, but you imply that I lie, then imply that because I ride a bike
>off road I'm a "bad apple"...and you wonder why you attract the negative
>
>Sheesh, when you become a real scientist, let me know, I might pay some
>attention to you again.

I could care less whether you pay attention to me or not. Liars are
lower than dirt in my book. You give yourself too much importance.

>Michael Halliwell

===

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> You give yourself too much importance.