Re: Vistalite nightstick charger help

benmatt

Guest
Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the
net fron the states, it's arrived and of course has a different
charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240. Where do I
stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so
it'll fit in the power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've
no wish to toast it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

Try these,
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MF1091
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3f24040208b35150273fc0a87f9c0628/Product/View/M1155
http://www.korjo.com.au:80//product...T+98&mscssid=DJK5VC5FHL649NV4BFUWV6NJ5E5V3TR7
Considering an appropriate Step-down voltage converter will be $49 or more,
It'd probably be cheaper to replace the charger with one designed for 240V.

benmatt wrote:
> Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the
> net fron the states, it's arrived and of course has a different
> charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240. Where do I
> stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so
> it'll fit in the power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've
> no wish to toast it!
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!
> Ben

If you were thinking of getting another battery anyway (I did the same
thing), then the easiest way is to puchase a battery/charger combo from
somewhere like phantom cycles (around $79 + delivery).

Obviously it will mean you have 1 charger for 2 batt. but how often do
you need to charge 2 at once anyway?!? (24hr races may be the exception)

**** Smith will sell you a transformer to convert 240v to 110v.
I think the cost is about $40

troyq wrote:
> benmatt wrote:
> > Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over the
> > net fron the states, it's arrived and of course has a different
> > charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240. Where do I
> > stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so
> > it'll fit in the power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as I've
> > no wish to toast it!
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks!
> > Ben

> If you were thinking of getting another battery anyway (I did the same
> thing), then the easiest way is to puchase a battery/charger combo from
> somewhere like phantom cycles (around $79 + delivery).
>
> Obviously it will mean you have 1 charger for 2 batt. but how often do
> you need to charge 2 at once anyway?!? (24hr races may be the exception)

(top post)

'nother suggestion is to return it to the supplier as it's not compatible
with Australian current.
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au
Is Lewis Moran the type of father figure
John Howard wants for Australian children?

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> **** Smith will sell you a transformer to convert 240v to 110v.
> I think the cost is about $40
>
> troyq wrote:
> > benmatt wrote:
> > > Hi everyone, this be my first post. I've ordered a Vistalite over

the
> > > net fron the states, it's arrived and of course has a different
> > > charger, rated at the US 120 volts as opposed to our 240. Where do I
> > > stand as far as getting the charger to work? I;ve got an adapter so
> > > it'll fit in the power point but I don't wanna use it just yet, as

I've
> > > no wish to toast it!
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > > Thanks!
> > > Ben

> > If you were thinking of getting another battery anyway (I did the same
> > thing), then the easiest way is to puchase a battery/charger combo from
> > somewhere like phantom cycles (around $79 + delivery).
> >
> > Obviously it will mean you have 1 charger for 2 batt. but how often do
> > you need to charge 2 at once anyway?!? (24hr races may be the exception)
> >

> > --

: Considering an appropriate Step-down voltage converter will be $49 or
more,
: It'd probably be cheaper to replace the charger with one designed for
240V.

Agree

:
: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it not a switching mode power supply that will auto detect the input
voltage? A lot of modern power supplies are like this (although cheaper
ones will not). I think to do what you want will require a stepdown
transformer. I think that would be quite expensive compared to just buying
another power supply from somewhere like www.jaycar.com.au All you have to
do is find out what the output voltage and current you have and match it.
One can be had for around $25 with a wide selection of plugs to fit.

: The current is compatible! It's the voltage that is the problem.
:
: Theo

Its a no-brainer. I have much equipment purchased out of the country. See
Jaycar or other electronics supplier.

Peter

"John Doe" wrote

> Its a no-brainer. I have much equipment purchased out of the

country. See
> Jaycar or other electronics supplier.

Only with equipment that uses modern efficient power supplies. Twenty
years ago most stuff was series regulated and some of the transformers
that were designed to run on 60Hz did not take kindly to 50Hz. There's
still a lot of gear out there that uses transformers and 50Hz will
generate a lot more heat in the transformer than 60Hz as well as pass
more current. It does require a brain.

Theo

do not use just an adapter it will fry your b attery pack. The only way to
do it is to get a 240 v converter with the same out put out as the one you
received from the states . Eg the input for yours will be 110 volts ac and
the out put will be around 6 volts dc at about 1 amp per hour. just buy a
charger with the same out put as the one on the American charger and Bobs
your uncle .
Randy
news:[email protected]...