Re: Want to be hit by a car while riding a bicycle? Wear a helmet!

A former riding partner of mine used to ride with a 9mm shoved down the back
of his shorts, the butt of the gun exposed enough for overtaking vehicles to
see. Said it brought the near-miss rate with vehicles down considerably. I
think it was when he rode in AZ where exposed side arms were legal.

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks Carl. Although I'm somewhat disappointed. I was hoping it was
> done with two insert cars fitted with theodolites.
>
> [email protected] wrote:
>> On 12 Sep 2006 12:33:08 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Some very amusing blog entries from the Guardian on topic:
>> >
>> >http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/news/archives/2006/09/12/on_their_heads_be_it.html
>> >
>> >It's heartening to see that civil discourse is international.
>> >
>> >Now all I want to know is how were the measurements made.
>> >Cheers,
>> >MD

>> Dear YC,
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/691047edda1c010e
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

says...
> A former riding partner of mine used to ride with a 9mm shoved down the back
> of his shorts, the butt of the gun exposed enough for overtaking vehicles to
> see.

Too subtle for the kind of drivers I'm most worried about. It's hard
for them to see the road (let alone a cyclist, or whether that cyclist
is carrying) with the competing demands of dialing the cell phone,
drinking their Starbucks Venti and applying makeup.

Rick

In rec.bicycles.misc Espressopithecus (Java Man) <[email protected]> wrote:
> says...
>> A former riding partner of mine used to ride with a 9mm shoved down the back
>> of his shorts, the butt of the gun exposed enough for overtaking vehicles to
>> see.
>>

> Too subtle for the kind of drivers I'm most worried about. It's hard
> for them to see the road (let alone a cyclist, or whether that cyclist
> is carrying) with the competing demands of dialing the cell phone,
> drinking their Starbucks Venti and applying makeup.

Well that, and how can you possibly expect them to pay attention to the
road with all the racket the kids in the back on the SUV are making? [1]
Also it's patently unfair to expect them to share the road with scruffy
cyclists. After all, you can pick one up at Wally world for $69 bucks,
so you should make way for their $60,000 life necessity.

[1] Behind carefully tinted windows. Wouldn't want anyone to think
you're not a sexy successful single. [2]
[2] http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0212.mencimer.html

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Why would you want to be born again? Didn't you get it right

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Kenny wrote:
> > Kenny wrote:
> > > Found this by way of Digg. http://tinyurl.com/m92br

> > Forgot about this link.
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/odxv3

> Dear Kenny,
>
> Thanks--interesting article technical article, so I'll shamelessly
> hijack it to rec.bicycles.tech.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Carl,

How can you apply his test results worldwide when he gathered his data
in a country where they drive on the WRONG side of the road!

Also, drivers in the UK play a lot more "who's going to blink first",
for example in round-abouts, they try to avoid eye contact.

Chas.

Per Espressopithecus:
> It's hard
>for them to see the road (let alone a cyclist, or whether that cyclist
>is carrying) with the competing demands of dialing the cell phone,
>drinking their Starbucks Venti and applying makeup.

And don't forget text messaging and checking eMail....-)
--
PeteCresswell

Brucie, I'd cross the yellow line to run you down.

Are you as obnoxious on this forum as yuo are everywhere else? As
usual, you disagree with someone here.

I love your alias --- it goes along with swiftsurfer, swiftsailor,
swiftprofitmaker, swiftskier, swiftmouth. How 'bout swiftidiot and
swiftmoron as your next two aliases?

[email protected] wrote:

> Brucie, I'd cross the yellow line to run you down.
>
> Are you as obnoxious on this forum as yuo are everywhere else? As
> usual, you disagree with someone here.
>
> I love your alias --- it goes along with swiftsurfer, swiftsailor,
> swiftprofitmaker, swiftskier, swiftmouth. How 'bout swiftidiot and
> swiftmoron as your next two aliases?

Top-posting anonymous moron makes threats while exhibiting hypocrisy at its
most ironic.

Doesn't get much better than that...

*******

> swiftcycler wrote: