Re: Warfarin (Coumadin) and Magnesium.

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bob Cardone, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    [email protected] (uplbet) wrote:

    >On warfarin since '95 because of paroxysmal afib, my INR target range
    >is 20-25.
    >
    >Result of my PT check of today: INR 4,94
    >My previous check, four weeks ago, gave INR 1,88 and then my dosage of
    >warfarin was slightly (just slightly) increased.
    >
    >One month ago I started taking magnesium pills, 200 mg daily: I wonder
    >if magnesium, or other ingredients normally associated with it in
    >those pills, may have contributed to my INR surge: ?
    >
    >Regards

    I take 500 MG of Magnesium twice a day and it has had no effect on my
    INR.

    I was told by my last Cardiologist that Coumadin was better for
    keeping your INR regulated than the generic Warfarin. My former
    Pharmacist told be the same thing . Now that I am in a HMO, they only
    will supply Warfarin and they have been trying for weeks to get my
    INR stabilized. The HMO claims that Warfarin works for most everyone
    and they see no issues with it, but they sure can't prove it by me.
    Luckily my INR is a tad low ( blood slightly too thick) rather than
    blood too thin, so at least I won't bleed to death if I fall Inline
    Skating. I also found out that if you take Ginko Biloba ( it's in a
    MultiVitamin that I take) , that it can thin your blood and effect
    the INR.

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. "Bob Cardone" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (uplbet) wrote:

    > I was told by my last Cardiologist that Coumadin was better for
    > keeping your INR regulated than the generic Warfarin. My former
    > Pharmacist told be the same thing . Now that I am in a HMO, they only
    > will supply Warfarin and they have been trying for weeks to get my
    > INR stabilized.

    There was a study back in the 80's, which showed generic warfarin to be less
    consistent than Coumadin; that was back when generic warfarin was a fairly new
    entity. However, most warfarin is now dispensed as an AB drug, and I'm pretty
    sure that more recent studies have shown no difference in INR response for
    generic vs Coumadin. I would bet that your doctor and pharmacist are
    remembering the "old" study.