Re: Was Greg dirty in his day?

Jack Maars

> Not being a LeMondologist, I ask the question, was Greg dirty in his
> day? LeMond was before my time, and my knowledge of him consists of what
> I've read in rbr. But if someone could fill in the knowledge gap.

Don't forget, Greg wrote THE BOOK on training.

Other than The Bible, Eddy Borysewicz's book
'Bicycle Road Racing - Complete Program for
Training and Competition' you don't need all
these fancy pancy new training books that have
Lance or that silly Chris Carmichel character
yapping about 'systems' or other silliness.

I don't like these newcomers to my sport
such as Lance and that Chris Carmichel
guy.

Anyway:
When the USCF got Borysewicz, one big improvement
he made to Greg back in '77 was to change Greg's
riding position. Eddy states Greg was pedaling
pigeon-toed and they worked to change all that.

Greg listened and did a number on the Russians and
Poles at the '80 Circuit de la Sarthe! Or have you
forgotten that?

Remember these names:
Greg LeMond
Ron Kiefel
Greg Demgen
Jeff Bradley

They won Bronze in the 1978 Junior Worlds TTT.
The very first Worlds medal for a U.S. road team.

"Jack Maars" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>

> Anyway:
> When the USCF got Borysewicz, one big improvement
> he made to Greg back in '77 was to change Greg's
> riding position. Eddy states Greg was pedaling
> pigeon-toed and they worked to change all that.
>
> Greg listened and did a number on the Russians and
> Poles at the '80 Circuit de la Sarthe! Or have you
> forgotten that?

How silly of me, of course as soon as Greg stopped pedaling with pigeon toes
he became the true champion that was hidden inside him.

Frank Drackman wrote:
> How silly of me, of course as soon as Greg stopped pedaling with pigeon toes
> he became the true champion that was hidden inside him.

Its breeding season for red herrings ?

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 04:30:28 GMT, "Jack Maars" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I don't like these newcomers to my sport
>such as Lance and that Chris Carmichel
>guy.

Then I can sell you the blue CONI manual from the, what, the 1960s?
Required reading, sort of, a long time ago. Still sitting on a shelf
somewhere, near all those English picture books of the Tours and the
Classics.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 04:30:28 GMT, "Jack Maars" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't like these newcomers to my sport
>>such as Lance and that Chris Carmichel
>>guy.

> Then I can sell you the blue CONI manual from the, what, the 1960s?
> Required reading, sort of, a long time ago. Still sitting on a shelf
> somewhere, near all those English picture books of the Tours and the
> Classics.

The golden years.

I've pretty much pin-pointed the turning point of cycling, it was
when technology killed the sport for ever.

It was the day when the team Miko-Mercier mechanic screwed
on that damn seven cog freewheel onto the rear wheel of
Joop Zoetemelk and Sven-Ake Nilsson bikes during the 1979
Tour.

From the first seven cog freewheel things snowballed to the
point where riders are now strapping Styrofoam onto their
heads and riding those ugly plastic bikes and having radio
receivers shoved up their orifices.

Please stop blaming Greg for introducing cheesy looking
sunglasses and styrofoam helmets to the pro scene.

The villains were Miko-Mercier's Director Sportif Louis Caput
and his assistant Maurice Quintin for sneaking a 7 cog on Joop's
hub just before the '79 tour hit the climbing stages.

I'm really pleased that Demeyer won the Belfort to Evian
stage clean by keeping things real using a 6 cog freewheel.

Never forget that team TI Raleigh-McGregor's Director
Peter Post keep his guys Knetemann, Van Vliet, and
Wesemael clean that year by riding 6 cogs on the freewheel.

Who knows now, maybe Miko-Mercier did use a seven the
year before in the mountains. I will never accept the fact that
team Miko-Mercier won the 1978 TdF Overall Team
classification!

Jack Maars wrote:

> I've pretty much pin-pointed the turning point of cycling, it was
> when technology killed the sport for ever.
>
> It was the day when the team Miko-Mercier mechanic screwed
> on that damn seven cog freewheel onto the rear wheel of
> Joop Zoetemelk and Sven-Ake Nilsson bikes during the 1979
> Tour.
>
> From the first seven cog freewheel things snowballed to the
> point where riders are now strapping Styrofoam onto their
> heads and riding those ugly plastic bikes and having radio
> receivers shoved up their orifices.

Hey hey, Fabrizio Mazzoleni, welcome back.
I've been trying to figure out who your posting style
reminded me of.

> Who knows now, maybe Miko-Mercier did use a seven the
> year before in the mountains. I will never accept the fact that
> team Miko-Mercier won the 1978 TdF Overall Team
> classification!

The good news is, with **** Pound's new Retro-Test [tm],
you don't have to! Any distasteful or unaesthetic result,
no matter how old, is subject to review and revocation!

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jack Maars wrote:
> > Hey hey, Fabrizio Mazzoleni, welcome back.

> I've been trying to figure out who your posting style
> reminded me of.

How did you figure that out?
And I don't recognize your posting name.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jack Maars wrote:
>
>> > The good news is, with **** Pound's new Retro-Test [tm],

> you don't have to! Any distasteful or unaesthetic result,
> no matter how old, is subject to review and revocation!

I often think how nice it would be if all development would have
ended with the Super Record group. Anything post Tullio always
has a question mark on it.

I really hope that Tullio didn't have anything to do with going
to three holes in the front derailleur cage from the natural
four holes that it first came out with. I'm sure someone on
the Record-C project was to blame.

Jack Maars wrote:
> How did you figure that out?
> And I don't recognize your posting name.

Perhaps you're a Fabrizio clone. Scary thought.