Re: Was Greg dirty in his day?

Mark Fennell

Guest
ergoid wrote:
> He didn't need to be doped up...at the age of 14 he won the US junior
> qualification road race decisively before he was even eligible to
> compete...he had more natural talent than any other US rider including
> one nut. Drugs were around then, but not like today... he kept getting
> better.

That basically sums up my opinion also, particularly wrt natural talent. But
one detail is wrong... at the 1977 jr worlds trials, he won two of the three
road races and he was almost 16 (not 14). But you are correct that they only
took 17 and 18 year olds.

The following year the trials were in CO and consisted of a TT, a TTT, a RR,
and a crit. Ironically, that year LeMond only won the crit but he definitely
was going to be on the team no matter how he did at the trials.

> Callistus Valerius wrote:
>> Not being a LeMondologist, I ask the question, was Greg dirty in his
>> day?

No, at least not by today's standards.