Re: Way OT (credit fraud countermeasures)

In article <[email protected]>, "Kyle Phillips"
<[email protected]> wrote::

> Subject: IDENTITY PROTECTION
> A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his
> company.
> I pass it along, for your information.
>
> The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of
> first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your
> checkbook they will not know if you sign your checks with just your
> initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your
> checks.

I was once told that the bank doesn't give a rip about the signature --
unless YOU, the customer and account owner, complain about a check that
you believe was forged. Until that happens, the bank assumes
everything is just fine.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
<uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

> > When shopping and handing over my credit card and signing the charge
> > slip, I often ask the clerk, "Did you check the signatures, to see if
> > they match?" I'm always greeted with the same puzzled look. Scary.
> > Try it sometime.
> >
> > Dora

> Never do I think to do that. I never check my slips or destroy them.

Are you going to start?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

Hi Carol,

I was going to reply via email but see you're going to mailblocks and don't
know how they work. I simply jimmied my address so a spambot won't be able
to fix it (I hope).

In any case, it's nice to know someone thought of me, and also to be back
after several years of ISPs who were woefully bad with English language
newsgroups (a disadvantage of being in Italy, I guess...). I'm expecting to
stay with Alice, my current ISP, for a while.

Kyle
Who will bore all with the next issue of Cosa Bolle in Pentola

> Thanks for this information, Kyle. And it's so cool that you're posting
> again. You were missed.
>
> I think it's about time I made your lasagna with bechamel (thanks for
> telling me what bechamel was), prosciutto and yummy red sauce. I wonder

if
> the deli is still open.
>
> Carol
>

> --
> "Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
> 'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
> Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."
>
> *James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_

if you inform them you are persuing and identity theft case, the credit
report is free...as well as the follow up reports with corrected
information. Been there, done that, got the stacks of file folders,
international phone bills, and fax fees to prove it!

Sandi

It was always free if you told them you were persuing ID theft and gave
them a police report number.

Sandi

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
> <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:
>

>>>When shopping and handing over my credit card and signing the charge
>>>slip, I often ask the clerk, "Did you check the signatures, to see if
>>>they match?" I'm always greeted with the same puzzled look. Scary.
>>>Try it sometime.
>>>
>>>Dora

>>Never do I think to do that. I never check my slips or destroy them.

> Are you going to start?

AND use a shredder at home to take care of it when
you're ready to part with these things??
Goomba

Sandi wrote:
> It was always free if you told them you were persuing ID theft and

gave
> them a police report number.

Please start following usenet conventions and quote a reasonable
portion of the post you are replying to, so that people know what you
are talking about. I know that it isn't obvious how to do so, because
Google screwed it up, but it isn't difficult.

Instead of using the Reply at the bottom of the message, click "show
options". Then use the Reply in the expanded headers.

Thanks.

Brian

Dog3 wrote:

> > And IIRC as of March 1st (this Tuesday) these agencies are required

> > give you a credit report for no cost...
> >

> I just got one. Whoever this person is, has been using my info for

months.
> This is going to be a nightmare, I can see it now. At least I'm

heading for
> a late lunch with friends. I get enchiladas today. Yumm. I'm going to

> Chueys in Dogtown. Their salsa is to die for. I'm being picked up and

> around. SO's Jeep is in the shop and he has commisioned mine.

Unfortunately, that doesn't surprise me. Be sure to get a fraud alert
placed on your credit files. This will keep any new credit accounts
from being set up without them first contacting you. Some details at
the link below:

http://www.fightidentitytheft.com/flag.html

Good luck buddy.

Brian

In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
<uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote:

> >> Never do I think to do that. I never check my slips or destroy them.

> > Are you going to start?

> You betcha I'm gonna check. I may just drive to Nebraska to find this
> person. I have a feeling this person was in St. Louis at one of my doc's
> offices. That is where they got it. From now on, I'm checking everything
> when I purchase. What I want to know is, do you sign the credit card or
> not? I've been told yes and no.
>
> Michael

I sure do sign the card. I also acknowledge the clerk who compares the
signature to the signed receipt. I'm also in the habit of shredding
just about anything with my name on it, too.

Interesting tidbit: My local Cub stores do not require a signature on
the slip if the amount is under $25. I have no idea why they do not.
--

Default User wrote:
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>>"Kyle Phillips" <[email protected]>

>>>GOOD JOB!!! I wanted to post this information but I didn't know
>>>where to look for it. Thanks for your post, great information.
>>>

>>And IIRC as of March 1st (this Tuesday) these agencies are required

> to give
>
>>you a credit report for no cost...

> They are rolling out the free reports in phases by region of the
> country. West coast got theirs starting Jan. 1. The midwest has them
> available starting Mar. 1. That's good for Dog3, as he is a St. Louis
> guy and can get them (and REALLY needs them).

www.annualcreditreport.com

Best regards,
Bob

Barb wrote:

> I sure do sign the card. I also acknowledge the clerk who compares the
> signature to the signed receipt. I'm also in the habit of shredding
> just about anything with my name on it, too.

Problem is, most clerks DON'T compare the signature on the receipt to the
signature on the card. I think I've posted the following link here before,
and it's funny to read, but it points up the utter failure of the signature
concept:

http://www.thescreamonline.com/cartoons/cartoons3-3/index.html

Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Kyle Phillips"
> <[email protected]> wrote::
>
> > Subject: IDENTITY PROTECTION
> > A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his
> > company.
> > I pass it along, for your information.
> >
> > The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of
> > first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your
> > checkbook they will not know if you sign your checks with just your
> > initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your
> > checks.

> I was once told that the bank doesn't give a rip about the signature --
> unless YOU, the customer and account owner, complain about a check that
> you believe was forged. Until that happens, the bank assumes
> everything is just fine.

That's true - then they pull out the card you signed when you created
the account and get real handwriting experts to examine it and the
allegedly forged document.

In article <[email protected]>, uhoh@ajfl
says...
> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:thisisbogus-
> [email protected]:

> >> Never do I think to do that. I never check my slips or destroy them.

> > Are you going to start?

> You betcha I'm gonna check. I may just drive to Nebraska to find this
> person. I have a feeling this person was in St. Louis at one of my doc's
> offices. That is where they got it. From now on, I'm checking everything
> when I purchase. What I want to know is, do you sign the credit card or
> not? I've been told yes and no.

Better yet - contact the entity that loaned the money for the vehicle
and get the VIN. From there, have a friend at a local PD run an NCIC
check on the VIN which will then return the registration information.
You may elect to let your PD contact their local PD at that point,
unless you just want to put a .45 slug into the perps body.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> > > Are you going to start?

> > You betcha I'm gonna check. I may just drive to Nebraska to find this
> > person. I have a feeling this person was in St. Louis at one of my doc's
> > offices. That is where they got it. From now on, I'm checking everything
> > when I purchase. What I want to know is, do you sign the credit card or
> > not? I've been told yes and no.
> >
> > Michael

> I sure do sign the card. I also acknowledge the clerk who compares the
> signature to the signed receipt. I'm also in the habit of shredding
> just about anything with my name on it, too.
>
> Interesting tidbit: My local Cub stores do not require a signature on
> the slip if the amount is under $25. I have no idea why they do not.

Yes - that's a new feature meant to speed transaction times. Turns out
that most charges on credit and debit cards are $25 or less.

I've also noted that your receipts generally print only the last four
digits of your card number. That leaves twelve digits, first digit being
a 3, 4, 5, or 6. Those correspond to American Express, Visa
International, MasterCard International and Discover. So that would be 3
*10^11 possibilities to go through, or 300,000,000,000. I believe the
last digit or two is part of a check digit algorithm but it has been a
long time since I wrote credit card processing software.

> Sandi wrote:
> > It was always free if you told them you were persuing ID theft and

> gave
> > them a police report number.

> Please start following usenet conventions and quote a reasonable
> portion of the post you are replying to, so that people know what you
> are talking about. I know that it isn't obvious how to do so, because
> Google screwed it up, but it isn't difficult.
>
> Instead of using the Reply at the bottom of the message, click "show
> options". Then use the Reply in the expanded headers.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Brian

I´ve posted here for several years and today I freaking forgot to use
the alternative show options method to reply. So shoot me. Are you so
perfect that you never make mistakes or errors?

Sandi

"Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Problem is, most clerks DON'T compare the signature on the receipt to the
>signature on the card.

I just ordered new checks, and they offered the opportunity to put my own
little message just above my signature. This is what will be on my checks:

PLEASE COMPARE MY SIGNATURE WITH MY DRIVER'S LICENSE.

We'll have to see if it helps any.

Carol

"Tony P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> In article <[email protected]>, "Kyle Phillips"
>> <[email protected]> wrote::
>>
>> > Subject: IDENTITY PROTECTION
>> > A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his
>> > company.
>> > I pass it along, for your information.
>> >
>> > The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of
>> > first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your
>> > checkbook they will not know if you sign your checks with just your
>> > initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your
>> > checks.

>> I was once told that the bank doesn't give a rip about the signature --
>> unless YOU, the customer and account owner, complain about a check that
>> you believe was forged. Until that happens, the bank assumes
>> everything is just fine.
>>

> That's true - then they pull out the card you signed when you created
> the account and get real handwriting experts to examine it and the
> allegedly forged document.

I sure hope I have to deal with identity theft. And if I did and they
compared signatures on my checks against the card I have on file, I'll be
doing a lot of years. My handwriting sucks ass big time!

Bret

"Dog3" <uhoh@ajfl;ajklsd;ajlds.nutz> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:thisisbogus-
> [email protected]:

>>> Never do I think to do that. I never check my slips or destroy them.

>> Are you going to start?

> You betcha I'm gonna check. I may just drive to Nebraska to find this
> person. I have a feeling this person was in St. Louis at one of my doc's
> offices. That is where they got it. From now on, I'm checking everything
> when I purchase. What I want to know is, do you sign the credit card or
> not? I've been told yes and no.
>
> Michael

Michael, Sorry this had to happen to you in the Great Shitty State of
Nebraska, first of all. Secondly, I'd like to point out that I live in the
western end of the state so that excludes me from the list of suspects. Not
to mention the fact that I've only been in MO once and I swear to god I
never left the airport and that was 3 years ago.

Bret
(Nebraska. The Great Shitty State! We have meth labs left and right and
now apparently identity theft too. I need to move.)

"Maverick" <[email protected]>, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Michael, Sorry this had to happen to you in the Great Shitty State of
>Nebraska, first of all. Secondly, I'd like to point out that I live in the
>western end of the state so that excludes me from the list of suspects. Not
>to mention the fact that I've only been in MO once and I swear to god I
>never left the airport and that was 3 years ago.

I dunno. Methinks thou doth protest too much. Michael, I think you ought
to track this guy down. ;)

Carol