Re: Way, way OT: PC stuff/rant

Nancy Young wrote:
> "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>I only get ******** at the real jackasses. The Suburban Assault Vehicles
>>with the brights shining in my rearview, trying to go 60 on surface
>>streets in the snow, the choads who, when all you are trying to do is
>>maneuver around the guy in your original lane who was going 10 under the
>>speed limit, race up behind you and act as if 70 isn't fast enough for the
>>left lane (I gently slow down to the speed limit for those guys, though I
>>have been told that this is dangerous, and will just **** these people off
>>more).

> Heh, I know where you're coming from but that is something that
> could drive someone to road murder. And once in a while, every once
> in a blue moon, you hear about someone getting a (YESSSSS!!) ticket
> for driving in the left lane without passing. So long as I was passing at
> a decent clip I wouldn't let the jerks push me too hard. But I do pass
> and move out of the way.

Oh, I don't mean merging into the left lane and staying there. I mean,
merging over for all of 20 seconds, only to have someone come up within
a few feet of your bumper because they want to go 105 all the time.

> Of course, if I'm stuck in a line behind someone blithely driving along
> in the passing lane causing a major logjam, I wouldn't want anyone to
> hear what I have to say, it usually involves idiots and them not noticing
> they are leading a (your favorite bad word here) parade! That's the
> recap of a much longer tantrum but you get the idea.
>

>>Those really special folks who can't seem to pick a lane to drive in. For
>>the most part, though, I'm pretty easygoing about driving. It always
>>amuses me when someone passes me in that manner that shows how much faster
>>they think you should be going, and then get stopped up at the next light.
>>:)

> Around here it's good sport to watch the local college kids do that. As
> a matter of fact, I think mom or dad should discreetly follow their child's
> trip to school a couple of times, bet we'd see some of them taking the bus
> after that. The students are fearless and LATE for class.

It doesnt take a college degree to figure out how the ligts on a given
street are timed. I know exactly how much to speed to catch all the
green lights on my way home from my mom's for instance.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

sarah wrote:

> I have also learned, that no matter how amusing it might sound at first, a
> small child repeating the word "asshat" over and over is not a good thing.

When my girlfriend's kid was just learning to speak, he discovered that he
could make mommy just MELT if he said, "You're pretty!" So I taught him an
addendum to that phrase. She was standing in line at the pharmacy when her
son first spoke the new compliment: "You're pretty, mommy! Nice rack!"

It was so worth it...

Bob

sarah wrote:

> It always amuses me when someone passes me in that manner that shows how
> much faster they think you should be going, and then get stopped up at the
> next light. :)

Never bothers me when that happens: You can't hit EVERY light green. Sooner
or later I WILL make it through the next light, while the people I passed
have to wait through the red-light cycle.

Bob

Nancy wrote:

> once in a while, every once in a blue moon, you hear about someone getting
> a (YESSSSS!!) ticket for driving in the left lane without passing.

Ohio passed a law earlier this year about enforcing the "slower traffic keep
right" signs. I haven't heard anything recently about how that effort is
going.

> So long as I was passing at a decent clip I wouldn't let the jerks push me
> too hard. But I do pass and move out of the way.

I'm the same way; if I'm not in a hurry I'm happy to get out of the way of
people who obviously are.

Bob

sarah wrote:

> It doesnt take a college degree to figure out how the ligts on a given
> street are timed. I know exactly how much to speed to catch all the green
> lights on my way home from my mom's for instance.

Did you see the news story which came out sometime within the last couple
months, stating that 90% of the traffic lights in the USA aren't set
properly?

Hey, here's a couple questions for you: Suppose you're coming home at 3:00
AM on a Thursday morning. You come to a red light where you have a clear
view of all roads leading into the intersection. You need to turn left to go
home. (1) What's the point of waiting? (2) If you *do* choose to wait, and
the traffic light doesn't change for several minutes, THEN do you run it?

Bob

"Puester" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nah. Oh, wait a minute. I have noticed a tendency
> lately--I've been using the term "a$$hole" an awful
> lot in the car to refer to other drivers. Gotta
> watch it when 4 yr. old grandson is in the car.
> He tends to pick up on things like that....

Yep! My son was visiting his sister and one day while they were out in
the car, he yelled to somone, 'I will kick your ****' Guess what 4 year
old grandson's favourite saying is now?

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> sarah wrote:
>
>> I have also learned, that no matter how amusing it might sound at
>> first, a
>> small child repeating the word "asshat" over and over is not a good
>> thing.

> When my girlfriend's kid was just learning to speak, he discovered
> that he
> could make mommy just MELT if he said, "You're pretty!" So I taught
> him an
> addendum to that phrase. She was standing in line at the pharmacy when
> her
> son first spoke the new compliment: "You're pretty, mommy! Nice rack!"

rack?

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:52:38 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> sarah wrote:
>>
>>> I have also learned, that no matter how amusing it might sound at
>>> first, a
>>> small child repeating the word "asshat" over and over is not a good
>>> thing.

>> When my girlfriend's kid was just learning to speak, he discovered
>> that he
>> could make mommy just MELT if he said, "You're pretty!" So I taught
>> him an
>> addendum to that phrase. She was standing in line at the pharmacy when
>> her
>> son first spoke the new compliment: "You're pretty, mommy! Nice rack!"

>rack?

Slang for breasts.

Regards,
Tracy R.

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:M%[email protected]...
> >>
> >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> > me.

> > you.

> > laugh.

> > Great

> > and

> > the

> >> Definitely - see the movie. But...download? From where?
> >>

> > EMule. I've got it going now.
> >
> > kili

> Was it free?
>
> Michael

Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have for
about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for anything.

kili

On 1 Dec 2005 19:30:04 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Denny Wheeler replied to The Bubbo:
>
> >> I am not a bad drive but I am a very fast driver and I take too many
> >> risks when i am alone in the car. Perhaps that's the compromise of the
> >> bisexual driver?

> > Nah. That's the compromise of many of us. :)

> Reminds me of one of the things I utter in the throes of road rage: "Did you
> ever notice that SLOW and STUPID mean the same thing? OF COURSE YOU NEVER
> NOTICED!"
>
> Anybody else here prone to road rage?

Only when I see two cars racing and weaving between cars at 100+.

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:06:11 GMT, Puester wrote:

> Gotta watch it when 4 yr. old grandson is in the car.
> He tends to pick up on things like that....

You have a 4 yr. old grandson too? We need to trade granny picts
sometime soon!

:)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:37:36 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> So long as I was passing at
> a decent clip I wouldn't let the jerks push me too hard. But I do pass
> and move out of the way.

Sounds like someone is caught in two lane hell. We have at least 4
lanes (in one direction) out here, but there are enough annoying
drivers to cover all of them. We have: tailgaters: no matter what
lane you're in - you're in their way. The lanes to the left and right
of you can be free, but they want yours. "Drifters"... who float from
lane to lane and don't notice you are taking the space they want.
Racers who weave in and out of cars trying to out hormone the other
guy at twice the posted speed limit and then there's *obliviousman*,
who drives at street speeds on the freeway.

We're doomed.
:)

sf wrote:

>> Anybody else here prone to road rage?
>>

> Only when I see two cars racing and weaving between cars at 100+.

Only TWO cars??? I think we posted about the NJ Turnpike!

I'll road rage when I get passed by a Chevette, but that hasn't happened,
yet.

--
Andy
Cruisin' at Mach .131370302

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 05:16:17 -0600, Andy wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> >> Anybody else here prone to road rage?
> >>

> > Only when I see two cars racing and weaving between cars at 100+.

> Only TWO cars??? I think we posted about the NJ Turnpike!
>
> I'll road rage when I get passed by a Chevette, but that hasn't happened,
> yet.

Chevettes are the benchmark where you are? We have souped up Hondas
(mainly) doing that sort of thing. Usually they are lowered, with a
spoiler and lettering on the sides.

"ravinwulf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:52:38 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> When my girlfriend's kid was just learning to speak, he discovered
>>> that he
>>> could make mommy just MELT if he said, "You're pretty!" So I taught
>>> him an
>>> addendum to that phrase. She was standing in line at the pharmacy
>>> when
>>> her
>>> son first spoke the new compliment: "You're pretty, mommy! Nice
>>> rack!"

>>rack?

> Slang for breasts.

??? why would anyone deliberately want to teach a tiny child to say that
to its mother??

On Fri 02 Dec 2005 04:46:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

> "ravinwulf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 09:52:38 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>rack?

>> Slang for breasts.

> ??? why would anyone deliberately want to teach a tiny child to say that
> to its mother??

You're forgetting that *you* live iin a civilized country.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

"Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri 02 Dec 2005 04:46:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> Ophelia?
>

>> "ravinwulf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Slang for breasts.

>> ??? why would anyone deliberately want to teach a tiny child to say
>> that
>> to its mother??

> You're forgetting that *you* live iin a civilized country.

It isn't that civilised any more:(

In article <[email protected]>,
"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:

> > > EMule. I've got it going now.
> > >
> > > kili

> > Was it free?
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch.

Have you seen an opthalmologist about that?

--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-1-05, Oodles of Noodles