Re: Way, way OT: PC stuff/rant

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by LT, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote

    in
    > > > news:[email protected]:

    > > > Was it free?
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    > > >

    > > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch.

    > Have you seen an opthalmologist about that?
    >
    > > kili

    > --

    Hee hee hee!

    kili <grinning>

  2. On Fri 02 Dec 2005 05:39:41a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ophelia?

    > "Wayne Boatwright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> On Fri 02 Dec 2005 04:46:36a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> Ophelia?
    >>

    >>> "ravinwulf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]

    >>> ??? why would anyone deliberately want to teach a tiny child to say
    >>> that to its mother??

    >> You're forgetting that *you* live iin a civilized country.

    > It isn't that civilised any more:(

    That's sad to hear. I always think of the UK as the bastion of propriety.
    :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  3. Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    > sarah wrote:
    >

    >>It doesnt take a college degree to figure out how the ligts on a given
    >>street are timed. I know exactly how much to speed to catch all the green
    >>lights on my way home from my mom's for instance.

    > Did you see the news story which came out sometime within the last couple
    > months, stating that 90% of the traffic lights in the USA aren't set
    > properly?
    >
    > Hey, here's a couple questions for you: Suppose you're coming home at 3:00
    > AM on a Thursday morning. You come to a red light where you have a clear
    > view of all roads leading into the intersection. You need to turn left to go
    > home. (1) What's the point of waiting? (2) If you *do* choose to wait, and
    > the traffic light doesn't change for several minutes, THEN do you run it?
    >
    > Bob

    I don't run the light because if I do, a cop will show up. :) I might
    just go ahead and turn if I waited a long time, but i would be more
    likely to make a right, and turn around in a driveway or something.

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  4. sf wrote:

    >> > Only when I see two cars racing and weaving between cars at 100+.

    >> Only TWO cars??? I think we posted about the NJ Turnpike!
    >>
    >> I'll road rage when I get passed by a Chevette, but that hasn't happened,
    >> yet.

    > Chevettes are the benchmark where you are? We have souped up Hondas
    > (mainly) doing that sort of thing. Usually they are lowered, with a
    > spoiler and lettering on the sides.

    most of those aren't really souped up :)

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Bob Terwilliger" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote

    > Hey, here's a couple questions for you: Suppose you're coming home at 3:00
    > AM on a Thursday morning. You come to a red light where you have a clear
    > view of all roads leading into the intersection. You need to turn left to
    > go home. (1) What's the point of waiting? (2) If you *do* choose to wait,
    > and the traffic light doesn't change for several minutes, THEN do you run
    > it?

    Been there, done that. Gimme a break. How long are you supposed
    to sit there like a plant? Couple times, it was obvious there was
    something wrong with the light, no one's coming, GO. The people I
    went around to GO looked startled then ... okay, she went, let's go!
    You wonder just how long people will wait because it's the rule.

    One time this light wouldn't change because the first person hadn't
    pulled up enough. Traffic is backing up in two directions because she
    didn't move up enough so the light knew anyone was there. Finally,
    from like 8 cars back into a parking lot, I got out and walked where
    she could see me and said YOU HAVE TO PULL UP! Her son got
    all 'pull up mom!' and soon as she did, bingo, the light changed. What
    amazed me about that was How long did she plan to wait as traffic
    backed up into the next county? Use your head.

    Having said that, I was in another situation where the light was red
    for a really long time and everyone was coming out of a side road
    due to a detour, no way could anyone be coming, the main road was
    closed. I didn't go through the light because a cop was right there
    chatting with some guy. I just know he was waiting for someone to
    go through the red light. Grrrrr. Yeah, don't turn off the light and
    wave people through, let them sit there and wait for no one.

    nancy

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    sarah bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    > > sarah wrote:
    > >

    > >>It doesnt take a college degree to figure out how the ligts on a given
    > >>street are timed. I know exactly how much to speed to catch all the green
    > >>lights on my way home from my mom's for instance.

    > > Did you see the news story which came out sometime within the last couple
    > > months, stating that 90% of the traffic lights in the USA aren't set
    > > properly?
    > >
    > > Hey, here's a couple questions for you: Suppose you're coming home at 3:00
    > > AM on a Thursday morning. You come to a red light where you have a clear
    > > view of all roads leading into the intersection. You need to turn left to
    > > go
    > > home. (1) What's the point of waiting? (2) If you *do* choose to wait, and
    > > the traffic light doesn't change for several minutes, THEN do you run it?
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > I don't run the light because if I do, a cop will show up. :) I might
    > just go ahead and turn if I waited a long time, but i would be more
    > likely to make a right, and turn around in a driveway or something.

    Some lights have sensors built into the road at the interesection.

    Sometimes you can trip a light by backing up a bit, then pulling forward
    again.

    Slowly.
    --
    Om.

  7. "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote
    >> in news:[email protected]:
    >>

    >> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:M%[email protected]

    >> > me.

    >> > you.

    >> > laugh.

    >> > Great

    >> > and
    >> > the

    >> > EMule. I've got it going now.
    >> >
    >> > kili

    >> Was it free?
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have
    > for about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for
    > anything.
    >
    > kili

    LOL... What happened? TFM elbow you in the eye while you were both sound
    asleep? Those sleeping accidents are awful. Years ago I was having a bad
    dream and kicked Steven in the ribs so hard a couple had minor fractures.
    I don't remember the dream, I guess the boogie man was after me ;)

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  8. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote
    > >> in news:[email protected]:

    > >> Was it free?
    > >>
    > >> Michael
    > >>

    > > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have
    > > for about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for
    > > anything.
    > >
    > > kili

    > LOL... What happened? TFM elbow you in the eye while you were both sound
    > asleep? Those sleeping accidents are awful. Years ago I was having a bad
    > dream and kicked Steven in the ribs so hard a couple had minor fractures.
    > I don't remember the dream, I guess the boogie man was after me ;)
    >
    > Michael

    Ha ha ha! TFM *is* a thrasher in his sleep; it's getting more and more rare
    that we sleep together. Between his snoring and his flailing, I'm pretty
    much the couch potato.

    kili

  9. Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    > Denny Wheeler replied to The Bubbo:
    >
    > >> I am not a bad drive but I am a very fast driver and I take too many
    > >> risks when i am alone in the car. Perhaps that's the compromise of the
    > >> bisexual driver?

    > > Nah. That's the compromise of many of us. :)

    > Reminds me of one of the things I utter in the throes of road rage: "Did you
    > ever notice that SLOW and STUPID mean the same thing? OF COURSE YOU NEVER
    > NOTICED!"
    >
    > Anybody else here prone to road rage?
    >
    > Bob

    Yep, that would be me. All I can say is that sometimes
    it's a good thing I don't have a gun. Or a tank - there
    are times I'd just love to ram someone or let some idiot
    hit me. ;-)

    Kate

  10. Goomba38 <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    >
    >> That was a great movie. Did you see "As Good as it Gets"? That is
    >> so much my lifestyle and I related to it so much (I don't live it
    >> BTW) Greg Kinnear was a scream and Helen Hunt was fantastic.
    >> Nicholson was good too but the other 2 were much better. I have to
    >> watch it again. I know I have a VHS of it around here somewhere.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > I liked "But I'm a Cheerleader" much better. :)
    > Michael- just kill her with kindness when you see her. Better yet, if
    > ever you're in front of witnesses (that embarrassment factor) joke to
    > her that when she was new and shouted "Faggot" at you, you just
    > figured she was new in town and you understood how stressful those
    > first impressions are on some. You forgive her <insert cheesy smile>.
    > Let her squirm. But also let her get to know you. Kill her with
    > kindness.. she might come around to realize how ignorant she truly is?
    > Goomba

    I can't wait to see how she behaves at the neighborhood holiday bash Diane
    puts on. Diane is 2 doors down from us and throws a big party every year.
    The other *evil* neighbor will probably lock her kids up before allowing
    them to go near some of the neighbors that will be there ;)

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote
    > >> in news:[email protected]:

    (snippage)

    > >> Was it free?
    > >>
    > >> Michael
    > >>

    > > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have
    > > for about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for
    > > anything.
    > >
    > > kili

    > LOL... What happened?

    > Michael

    Eye patch as in pirate as in thief, I'm guessing.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-1-05, Oodles of Noodles

  12. Kate wrote:

    > All I can say is that sometimes it's a good thing I don't have a gun. Or
    > a tank - there are times I'd just love to ram someone or let some idiot
    > hit me. ;-)

    Check out "Why Johnny Can't Speed," by Alan Dean Foster sometime. Or the
    "Car Wars" game from Steve Jackson Games.

    Bob

  13. On 1 Dec 2005 19:30:04 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Denny Wheeler replied to The Bubbo:
    >
    >>> I am not a bad drive but I am a very fast driver and I take too many
    >>> risks when i am alone in the car. Perhaps that's the compromise of the
    >>> bisexual driver?

    >> Nah. That's the compromise of many of us. :)

    >Reminds me of one of the things I utter in the throes of road rage: "Did you
    >ever notice that SLOW and STUPID mean the same thing? OF COURSE YOU NEVER
    >NOTICED!"
    >
    >Anybody else here prone to road rage?

    I probably sort of do. But I'd show a lot more real rage if I didn't
    yell at the dumb sonsabirches.

    I think the single most likely vehicle to piss me off is a cyclist in
    biking tights blowing through a red light or stop sign. Not making a
    right turn--straight on through. I do keep hoping for a comeuppance.
    (this of course is usually after they've passed like half-a-dozen
    vehicles that are waiting for the light--and there's no bike lane...)

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  14. maxine in ri

    maxine in ri Guest

    On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:37:36 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email protected]>
    connected the dots and wrote:

    ~
    ~"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote
    ~
    ~> I only get *pissed* at the real jackasses. The Suburban Assault
    Vehicles
    ~> with the brights shining in my rearview, trying to go 60 on surface
    ~> streets in the snow, the choads who, when all you are trying to do
    is
    ~> maneuver around the guy in your original lane who was going 10
    under the
    ~> speed limit, race up behind you and act as if 70 isn't fast enough
    for the
    ~> left lane (I gently slow down to the speed limit for those guys,
    though I
    ~> have been told that this is dangerous, and will just piss these
    people off
    ~> more).
    ~
    ~Heh, I know where you're coming from but that is something that
    ~could drive someone to road murder. And once in a while, every once
    ~in a blue moon, you hear about someone getting a (YESSSSS!!) ticket
    ~for driving in the left lane without passing. So long as I was
    passing at
    ~a decent clip I wouldn't let the jerks push me too hard. But I do
    pass
    ~and move out of the way.
    ~

    When I was coming home from school one night, I was cruising in the
    highspeed lane, when some guy comes up behind me, and flashes his
    headlights.

    There were a couple of slow cars I was passing (no space between them,
    either), so I kept up at my rate (a good 15 over the posted limit),
    and moved over as soon as it was safe.

    The jerk passes me, after matching speeds for a minute while I refused
    to look at him, then speeds up, pulls in front of my bumper, hits his
    breaks and then the gas. I look to my right, there's a statie, i look
    at my spedometer, he tips his hat, and then goes and pulls the jerk
    over.

    It pays to drive sanely.

    maxine in ri

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There were a couple of slow cars I was passing (no space between them,
    > either), so I kept up at my rate (a good 15 over the posted limit),
    > and moved over as soon as it was safe.
    >
    > The jerk passes me, after matching speeds for a minute while I refused
    > to look at him, then speeds up, pulls in front of my bumper, hits his
    > breaks and then the gas. I look to my right, there's a statie, i look
    > at my spedometer, he tips his hat, and then goes and pulls the jerk
    > over.
    >
    > It pays to drive sanely.
    >
    > maxine in ri

    ROFL!!!

    Don't ya love it when there is a cop in the right place at the right
    time??? ;-D
    --
    Om.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    maxine in ri <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There were a couple of slow cars I was passing (no space between them,
    > either), so I kept up at my rate (a good 15 over the posted limit),
    > and moved over as soon as it was safe.
    >
    > The jerk passes me, after matching speeds for a minute while I refused
    > to look at him, then speeds up, pulls in front of my bumper, hits his
    > breaks and then the gas. I look to my right, there's a statie, i look
    > at my spedometer, he tips his hat, and then goes and pulls the jerk
    > over.
    >
    > It pays to drive sanely.
    >
    > maxine in ri

    ROFL!!!

    Don't ya love it when there is a cop in the right place at the right
    time??? ;-D
    --
    Om.

  17. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    >> What torques me off more than ANYthing else are people that go the speed
    >> limit in the left (fast) lane on the freeway!!!

    > What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    In the passing lane? Everything, from pissing people off to obstructing
    emergency vehicles to breaking the law that says keep right except
    to pass.

    nancy

  18. ms_peacock

    ms_peacock Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    > Uh, almost nobody in the FAST lane does the speed limit. ;-)
    > People driving in that lane have poor time management skills and are
    > late to work.

    > Om.

    They also have poor math skills if they think speeding is going to make up
    for being late.

    Ms P

  19. aem

    aem Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > >> What torques me off more than ANYthing else are people that go the speed
    > >> limit in the left (fast) lane on the freeway!!!

    > > What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    > In the passing lane? Everything, from pissing people off to obstructing
    > emergency vehicles to breaking the law that says keep right except
    > to pass.

    Exactly. A friend of ours used to plant himself in the left lane on
    the freeway and drive the speed limit. Thought it was his "right" and
    claimed it inhibited all those illegal speeders who wanted to get
    around him. He did this for years until the highway patrol gave him a
    pretty large ticket for obstructing traffic. He took it to trial and
    the judge told him he was an idiot. Politely. My rule at any speed
    is, if I am not going faster than the cars in the lane to my right, I
    should move over. That's what 'slower traffic keep right' means.
    -aem

  20. In article <[email protected]>,
    "ms_peacock" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    > > Uh, almost nobody in the FAST lane does the speed limit. ;-)
    > > People driving in that lane have poor time management skills and are
    > > late to work.

    > > Om.

    > They also have poor math skills if they think speeding is going to make up
    > for being late.
    >
    > Ms P

    Depends on how far you have to commute, and if you are on a time clock.
    ;-) 1 second can make the difference between being late or on time...

    My commute is 30 miles.
    --
    Om.