Re: Way, way OT: PC stuff/rant

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by LT, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. In article <[email protected]>,
    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    > > > What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    > > In the passing lane? Everything, from pissing people off to obstructing
    > > emergency vehicles to breaking the law that says keep right except
    > > to pass.
    > >

    > Exactly. A friend of ours used to plant himself in the left lane on
    > the freeway and drive the speed limit. Thought it was his "right" and
    > claimed it inhibited all those illegal speeders who wanted to get
    > around him. He did this for years until the highway patrol gave him a
    > pretty large ticket for obstructing traffic. He took it to trial and
    > the judge told him he was an idiot. Politely. My rule at any speed
    > is, if I am not going faster than the cars in the lane to my right, I
    > should move over. That's what 'slower traffic keep right' means.
    > -aem

    Yay!!! :)
    --
    Om.

  2. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > Uh, almost nobody in the FAST lane does the speed limit. ;-)
    > People driving in that lane have poor time management skills and are
    > late to work.

    Or jackasses like me that are incapable of driving the speed limit and must
    always be over by 5 or 10 mph.

    ....unless it's middle of nowhere...then it's as fast as I can manage.

    And if anyone doubts the importance of charm, I've been pulled over exactly
    once. State trooper let me off with a warning. I had expired tags, a tail
    light out and I was going 93 in a 55. Charm.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  3. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Nancy Young wrote:

    >> In the passing lane? Everything, from pissing people off to obstructing
    >> emergency vehicles to breaking the law that says keep right except
    >> to pass.
    >>

    > Exactly. A friend of ours used to plant himself in the left lane on
    > the freeway and drive the speed limit. Thought it was his "right" and
    > claimed it inhibited all those illegal speeders who wanted to get
    > around him. He did this for years until the highway patrol gave him a
    > pretty large ticket for obstructing traffic. He took it to trial and
    > the judge told him he was an idiot. Politely. My rule at any speed
    > is, if I am not going faster than the cars in the lane to my right, I
    > should move over. That's what 'slower traffic keep right' means.

    (sigh) Stories like that do my heart good. (laugh)

    nancy

  4. "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > And if anyone doubts the importance of charm, I've been pulled over
    > exactly
    > once. State trooper let me off with a warning. I had expired tags, a tail
    > light out and I was going 93 in a 55. Charm.
    >
    > --
    > .:Heather:.
    > www.velvet-c.com

    What size are those charmers?

  5. "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    In the left lane it is unsafe and you can get run over and killed.

  6. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> And if anyone doubts the importance of charm, I've been pulled over
    >> exactly
    >> once. State trooper let me off with a warning. I had expired tags, a tail
    >> light out and I was going 93 in a 55. Charm.
    >>
    >> --
    >> .:Heather:.
    >> www.velvet-c.com

    > What size are those charmers?

    on one hand I thought it might be that, I was sharing some cleavage that day,
    but on the other hand I had my boyfriend and my puppy in the car with me and
    the puppy kept trying to crawl over me to get to the trooper.

    Perhaps it was Ghengis' charm that helped...
    http://www.velvet-c.com/images/partyg.jpg

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  7. On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 09:52:15 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip excellent 'comeuppance' story from maxine>

    >Don't ya love it when there is a cop in the right place at the right
    >time??? ;-D

    YES. Years ago, I was driving in downtown Seattle, on 2nd Avenue,
    which is one-way southbound. This was in the afternoon, fairly heavy
    traffic. Car behind me was an SPD cruiser. This turned out to be
    very handy--looking down the lane in front of me here comes a car
    northbound. Two young women, chatting away. So, I found a hole in
    the lane to my right and slid over while slowing. Last I saw of the
    situation, the cop car was lit up with all its lights, stopped nose to
    nose with the girls. They looked completely befuddled, kind of 'what
    did we do?'

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  8. On 3 Dec 2005 10:49:13 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nancy Young wrote:

    >> > What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    >> In the passing lane? Everything, from pissing people off to obstructing
    >> emergency vehicles to breaking the law that says keep right except
    >> to pass.
    >>

    >Exactly. A friend of ours used to plant himself in the left lane on
    >the freeway and drive the speed limit. Thought it was his "right" and
    >claimed it inhibited all those illegal speeders who wanted to get
    >around him. He did this for years until the highway patrol gave him a
    >pretty large ticket for obstructing traffic. He took it to trial and
    >the judge told him he was an idiot. Politely. My rule at any speed
    >is, if I am not going faster than the cars in the lane to my right, I
    >should move over. That's what 'slower traffic keep right' means.
    >-aem

    Sounds like California. The CHP *will* ticket for 'impeding the flow
    of traffic' even if the driver in question is well over the speed
    limit. And this is as it should be--the driver going slower than
    traffic is much the most likely (of sober drivers, that is) to cause
    an accident.

    --

  9. Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    > "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >

    >>What is wrong with going the speed limit?
    >>

    > In the left lane it is unsafe and you can get run over and killed.

    what are you supposed to do when you are passing someone who is going
    *slow* but do not want to risk getting a ticket?

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  10. On 3 Dec 2005 00:24:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> rummaged among random neurons and
    opined:

    >Kate wrote:
    >
    >> All I can say is that sometimes it's a good thing I don't have a gun. Or
    >> a tank - there are times I'd just love to ram someone or let some idiot
    >> hit me. ;-)

    >Check out "Why Johnny Can't Speed," by Alan Dean Foster sometime. Or the
    >"Car Wars" game from Steve Jackson Games.

    And check out Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55."

    Had a situtation a while back where I was blasting along the freeway
    well over the speed limit when a car jumped into my (outside) lane and
    forced me to brake. I was about to go into PO'd when I realized he
    was slowing me down right before a CHP on the side of the road.
    Amazing.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...still a lead foot, though
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  11. On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:29:28 GMT, sarah bennett
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >what are you supposed to do when you are passing someone who is going
    >*slow* but do not want to risk getting a ticket?

    If you're in the passing lane, the cops will virtually always allow
    10-15 over the speed limit, so long as you slow back down once past
    the vehicle you're passing. I actually had a State Patrolman
    congratulate me on technique once--I'd come up on a 2-lane pack going
    around 10 mph below the limit, moved to the left lane, went by at
    about 70-75 (limit was 60), got a hundred or so yards past 'em, moved
    over and dropped back to just over 60. Statie was in the middle of
    that pack. I think part of why he stopped me was to admire the
    car--was a 1957 Jaguar XK140 roadster, and this was in 1970 or so.

    --

  12. Denny wrote:

    > I'd come up on a 2-lane pack going around 10 mph below the limit, moved to
    > the left lane, went by at about 70-75 (limit was 60), got a hundred or so
    > yards past 'em, moved over and dropped back to just over 60. Statie was
    > in the middle of that pack.

    Oh, now THAT'S one of my pet peeves: People REFUSE to pass a cop, no matter
    how slowly the cop is driving. Or they'll automatically hit their brakes
    whenever they come upon a cop by the side of the road, even if they're not
    speeding.

    Bob

  13. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "The Bubbo" <
    >snip<
    > on one hand I thought it might be that, I was sharing some cleavage that
    > day,
    > but on the other hand I had my boyfriend and my puppy in the car with me
    > and
    > the puppy kept trying to crawl over me to get to the trooper.
    >
    > Perhaps it was Ghengis' charm that helped...
    > http://www.velvet-c.com/images/partyg.jpg
    >

    > --
    > .:Heather:.
    > www.velvet-c.com

    ============

    Heather,

    Your dog is beautiful!!! One can definitely tell that it is a 'charmer'!
    --
    Syssi

  14. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Syssi wrote:

    > "The Bubbo" <
    >>snip<
    >> on one hand I thought it might be that, I was sharing some cleavage that
    >> day,
    >> but on the other hand I had my boyfriend and my puppy in the car with me
    >> and
    >> the puppy kept trying to crawl over me to get to the trooper.
    >>
    >> Perhaps it was Ghengis' charm that helped...
    >> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/partyg.jpg
    >>

    >> --
    >> .:Heather:.
    >> www.velvet-c.com

    > ============
    >
    > Heather,
    >
    > Your dog is beautiful!!! One can definitely tell that it is a 'charmer'!

    thanks, I love my dogs, they're total goofs
    http://www.velvet-c.com/images/gm.jpg

    today I crossed the line, I ordered custom holiday cards with a picture of the
    dogs and then ordered postage stamps with that picture of Ghengis sitting on
    the sofa with the beers.

    This is what you do when yu are 32 and you have 2 dogs and no kids!
    Also, how excited was I to find out that you custom print your own postage
    stamps with your own pictures!!!

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  15. On Sat 03 Dec 2005 10:06:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?

    > Syssi wrote:
    >>

    >> "The Bubbo" <
    >>>snip<
    >>> on one hand I thought it might be that, I was sharing some cleavage
    >>> that day, but on the other hand I had my boyfriend and my puppy in the
    >>> car with me and the puppy kept trying to crawl over me to get to the
    >>> trooper.
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps it was Ghengis' charm that helped...
    >>> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/partyg.jpg
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> .:Heather:.
    >>> www.velvet-c.com

    >> ============
    >>
    >> Heather,
    >>
    >> Your dog is beautiful!!! One can definitely tell that it is a
    >> 'charmer'!

    > thanks, I love my dogs, they're total goofs
    > http://www.velvet-c.com/images/gm.jpg

    Yep, beautiful dogs!

    > today I crossed the line, I ordered custom holiday cards with a picture
    > of the dogs and then ordered postage stamps with that picture of Ghengis
    > sitting on the sofa with the beers.
    >
    > This is what you do when yu are 32 and you have 2 dogs and no kids!
    > Also, how excited was I to find out that you custom print your own
    > postage stamps with your own pictures!!!

    I would love the cards. The postage stamps might be a bit over the top.
    :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*

  16. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sat 03 Dec 2005 10:06:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The Bubbo?
    >
    >> Syssi wrote:
    >>>

    >>> "The Bubbo" <

    >>> ============
    >>>
    >>> Heather,
    >>>
    >>> Your dog is beautiful!!! One can definitely tell that it is a
    >>> 'charmer'!

    >> thanks, I love my dogs, they're total goofs
    >> http://www.velvet-c.com/images/gm.jpg

    > Yep, beautiful dogs!
    >
    >> today I crossed the line, I ordered custom holiday cards with a picture
    >> of the dogs and then ordered postage stamps with that picture of Ghengis
    >> sitting on the sofa with the beers.
    >>
    >> This is what you do when yu are 32 and you have 2 dogs and no kids!
    >> Also, how excited was I to find out that you custom print your own
    >> postage stamps with your own pictures!!!

    > I would love the cards. The postage stamps might be a bit over the top.
    > :)

    I did the cards through shutterfly.com. It was easy and cheap (like me!) and
    the stamps were through endicia.com, but you can do them through stamps.com as
    well.

    I had to bring Maddie (the shar pei) to the vet this morning. Afterward I took
    her over to Petsmart to get treats and supplies. I made her sit in front of
    the endcap with all the christmas costumes on it and explained to her that if
    I were a mean dog owner, i'd buy her a reindeer costume to wear.

    Instead, I bought her pig ears, rawhides, milkbones, a squaeky hippo and that
    goofy toy they feature in the commercial with the dachshund (all to be shared
    with the other dog of course).

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  17. On 3 Dec 2005 22:50:06 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    >Denny wrote:
    >
    >> I'd come up on a 2-lane pack going around 10 mph below the limit, moved to
    >> the left lane, went by at about 70-75 (limit was 60), got a hundred or so
    >> yards past 'em, moved over and dropped back to just over 60. Statie was
    >> in the middle of that pack.

    >Oh, now THAT'S one of my pet peeves: People REFUSE to pass a cop, no matter
    >how slowly the cop is driving. Or they'll automatically hit their brakes
    >whenever they come upon a cop by the side of the road, even if they're not
    >speeding.

    Yeah, and I think some cops laugh their tails off when they're driving
    along way below the limit, and nobody'll pass.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge

  18. On 3 Dec 2005 22:50:06 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    <[email protected]_spammer.biz> rummaged among random neurons and
    opined:

    >Oh, now THAT'S one of my pet peeves: People REFUSE to pass a cop, no matter
    >how slowly the cop is driving. Or they'll automatically hit their brakes
    >whenever they come upon a cop by the side of the road, even if they're not
    >speeding.

    How about the maroons in the far left passing lane and the only thing
    they're passing are the stripes on the road and have cars stacked up
    behind them like cordwood? Or the guy driving the Little Engine That
    Can't up and down some of the hillier sections of SoCal - they crawl
    their underpowered piece of cr*p up the hill in the outside passing
    lane, although once to the top, they move it along, but can they move
    it over going uphill? Noooooo.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...who drives the 73 and *hates* UPS
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  19. Squeaks wrote:

    > How about the maroons in the far left passing lane and the only thing
    > they're passing are the stripes on the road and have cars stacked up
    > behind them like cordwood? Or the guy driving the Little Engine That
    > Can't up and down some of the hillier sections of SoCal - they crawl
    > their underpowered piece of cr*p up the hill in the outside passing
    > lane, although once to the top, they move it along, but can they move
    > it over going uphill? Noooooo.

    Damn, Squeaks, have you and Nancy been bugging my car? First Nancy comes
    out with "leading the parade," which I've been known to mention, then you
    come out with "underpowered piece of cr*p" -- though my exact term is
    "underpowered shitmobile." And the place where I first used that phrase was
    the spot on southbound I-805 right after it crosses I-8 and starts climbing
    toward El Cajon Boulevard.

    Bob

  20. In article <0Slkf.3718$Y%[email protected]>,
    sarah bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Uh, almost nobody in the FAST lane does the speed limit. ;-)
    > > People driving in that lane have poor time management skills and are
    > > late to work.
    > >
    > > The speed limit is too damned slow!
    > >
    > > There are 3 lanes. If you want to go the speed limit, use the center
    > > lane.
    > >
    > > Please? ;-D

    > hehe. I do. However, occasionally, the folks in all the right lanes are
    > going below the limit, so the only way to get anywhere is to travel in
    > the left lane. I usualyl speead a little on the freeway, but only 5 or
    > 10 over. I cannot stand it when I am already speeding and some jerk
    > starts tailgating me because I'm not going fast enough for *him*.
    >
    > --
    >
    > saerah

    I generally only go 10 mph above the limit so I'm ok with that. ;-)
    And, cops will generally only pull you over if you exceed that.

    And yeah, I know what you mean about the tailgaiters that want to go 90!
    I try to let them around me.
    --
    Om.