Re: Way, way OT: PC stuff/rant

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by LT, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > And if anyone doubts the importance of charm, I've been pulled over
    > > exactly
    > > once. State trooper let me off with a warning. I had expired tags, a tail
    > > light out and I was going 93 in a 55. Charm.
    > >
    > > --
    > > .:Heather:.
    > > www.velvet-c.com

    >
    > What size are those charmers?
    >
    >


    ROFL!!!
    --
    Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
     


  2. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message


    > > Was it free?


    > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have for
    > about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for anything.




    ???

    I am totally confused. What does wearing an eye patch have to do with
    anything? Why do you wear an eye patch anyway?

    Dan - with two eye patches - who wore them for a while this summer

    I was off sick for two weeks. I couldn't drive and could barely read.
    I didn't post here then, because I just couldn't see.

    ObEyePatchMaybeFunny: I wore an eye patch about ten years ago. It just
    happened to be the Fourth of July. A little kid in the neighborhood
    asked me why I was wearing it. I told him it was a fireworks accident.
    Just kidding. He didn't quite know how to handle that.

    My EMail address is valid, if you don't want to respond to the group. I
    would like to talk.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  3. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > >
    > > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote
    > >> in news:[email protected]:


    > > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have
    > > for about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for
    > > anything.


    > LOL... What happened? TFM elbow you in the eye while you were both sound
    > asleep? Those sleeping accidents are awful. Years ago I was having a bad
    > dream and kicked Steven in the ribs so hard a couple had minor fractures.
    > I don't remember the dream, I guess the boogie man was after me ;)



    I had major eye surgery in July. The doctor said I had to wear this
    metal thing over my eye to protect it. I was doubtful, but she was
    insistent. What's going to happen when I'm sleeping? A herd of
    elephants come running through? I'm a compliant patient, so OK. It was
    pretty stressful, so I'm not sleeping so well. My wife isn't either.
    I'm awake, and she is tossing and turning. *Whack* and I get it right
    in the eye. OK, the doctor is right. A little later, and *whack* again
    in the eye.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  4. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote:


    >> Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have for
    >> about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for
    >> anything.


    > ???
    >
    > I am totally confused. What does wearing an eye patch have to do with
    > anything? Why do you wear an eye patch anyway?


    She's saying she pirates movies illegally.

    > Dan - with two eye patches - who wore them for a while this summer
    >
    > I was off sick for two weeks. I couldn't drive and could barely read.
    > I didn't post here then, because I just couldn't see.


    Well, I guess not with two eye patches on! Whatever it was, sorry to
    hear it.

    > ObEyePatchMaybeFunny: I wore an eye patch about ten years ago. It just
    > happened to be the Fourth of July. A little kid in the neighborhood
    > asked me why I was wearing it. I told him it was a fireworks accident.
    > Just kidding. He didn't quite know how to handle that.


    (laugh) Funny, yet mean.

    nancy
     
  5. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> >
    >> > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]
    >> >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote
    >> >> in news:[email protected]:

    >
    >> > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch. Have
    >> > for about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually paid for
    >> > anything.

    >
    >> LOL... What happened? TFM elbow you in the eye while you were both sound
    >> asleep? Those sleeping accidents are awful. Years ago I was having a
    >> bad
    >> dream and kicked Steven in the ribs so hard a couple had minor fractures.
    >> I don't remember the dream, I guess the boogie man was after me ;)

    >
    >
    > I had major eye surgery in July. The doctor said I had to wear this
    > metal thing over my eye to protect it. I was doubtful, but she was
    > insistent. What's going to happen when I'm sleeping? A herd of
    > elephants come running through? I'm a compliant patient, so OK. It was
    > pretty stressful, so I'm not sleeping so well. My wife isn't either.
    > I'm awake, and she is tossing and turning. *Whack* and I get it right
    > in the eye. OK, the doctor is right. A little later, and *whack* again
    > in the eye.
    >
    > --
    > Dan Abel
    > [email protected]
    > Petaluma, California, USA


    Perhaps separate beds are in order for a while. Well, not all the time, but
    a few nights a week to give some relief.
    Dee Dee
     
  6. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >
    > "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble
    >>> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >>>
    >>> >
    >>> > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> > news:[email protected]
    >>> >> "kilikini" <[email protected]> looking for trouble
    >>> >> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >>
    >>> > Yeah, but at the risk of getting flamed, I wear an eye patch.
    >>> > Have for about 10 years. Can't remember the last time I actually
    >>> > paid for anything.

    >>
    >>> LOL... What happened? TFM elbow you in the eye while you were both
    >>> sound asleep? Those sleeping accidents are awful. Years ago I was
    >>> having a bad
    >>> dream and kicked Steven in the ribs so hard a couple had minor
    >>> fractures. I don't remember the dream, I guess the boogie man was
    >>> after me ;)

    >>
    >>
    >> I had major eye surgery in July. The doctor said I had to wear this
    >> metal thing over my eye to protect it. I was doubtful, but she was
    >> insistent. What's going to happen when I'm sleeping? A herd of
    >> elephants come running through? I'm a compliant patient, so OK. It
    >> was pretty stressful, so I'm not sleeping so well. My wife isn't
    >> either. I'm awake, and she is tossing and turning. *Whack* and I get
    >> it right in the eye. OK, the doctor is right. A little later, and
    >> *whack* again in the eye.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dan Abel
    >> [email protected]
    >> Petaluma, California, USA

    >
    > Perhaps separate beds are in order for a while. Well, not all the
    > time, but a few nights a week to give some relief.
    > Dee Dee


    I would agree. Dan, I wasn't aware of your surgery. Hope all is well and
    eventually the eyepatch can come off. I hope it's nothing real serious.

    I'm a very restless sleeper. My S.O. would wake up battered every morning.
    Separate beds and eventually separate bedrooms was the key. We're both
    happy when we wake up. He is not battered and I'm happily hanging off the
    end of the bed without being woken up by "Ouch" etc. in the middle of the
    night.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net
     
  7. sarah bennett <[email protected]> writes:

    >I only get *pissed* at the real jackasses. The Suburban Assault Vehicles
    >with the brights shining in my rearview, trying to go 60 on surface
    >streets in the snow


    It's snowing heavily here and I had to get my cat to the vet, and of
    course there's always one moron who thinks he has to drive just as fast
    as he would if it wasn't snowing. It's always someone in an older car,
    too, and I wouldn't trust my 5 year old car to go 65 in heavy snow, let
    alone some 12 year old beater with no tread left on the tires.

    >the left lane (I gently slow down to the speed limit for those guys,
    >though I have been told that this is dangerous, and will just piss these
    >people off more).


    My husband slows down, too, just to piss people off. It scares me,
    ever since some guy on I-70 got mad that we weren't passing a slow
    vehicle in the right lane fast enough. The highway only had 2 lanes but
    the maniac behind us decided to drive *between* our car and the car we
    were passing, and almost ran everyone off the road. The whole time he
    was flipping us off, honking, and flashing his brights. He almost lost
    control of his car and it was then I saw he had a wife and little girl
    with him. They were tossed around the car while he swerved wildly and
    obviously he was the only one with a seatbelt on. I was terrified.
    Since then I figure it's safer to just go really fast for a few seconds
    to get around the slow person so the maniac behind me doesn't freak out
    like this guy did.
    The one thing other drivers do that pisses me off is when they don't
    get completely into the turn-off lane, and block those of us who aren't
    turning. I hate that so much.

    Stacia
     
  8. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> writes:
    >"sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:


    >>> What torques me off more than ANYthing else are people that go the speed
    >>> limit in the left (fast) lane on the freeway!!!


    >> What is wrong with going the speed limit?


    >In the passing lane? Everything, from pissing people off to obstructing
    >emergency vehicles to breaking the law that says keep right except
    >to pass.


    We have two-lane highways throughout the state (Kansas, with a low
    population) and sometimes people have to stay in the left lane of the
    highway to make a turn up ahead. Lots of people live a few miles off
    the main highways, and every highway but I-70 has a turnoff (either left
    or right side) practically every half mile. Traffic is backed up
    constantly from 98 year old farmers toodling along at 25 in a 60 on
    their way to the turnoff they need.
    And don't get me started on the tractors and combines. Why the Kansas
    highway department decided to stop maintaining the old back roads,
    forcing farmers onto the main roads, is beyond me.

    Stacia
     
  9. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > Nancy Young wrote:
    > > "sarah bennett" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
    > > > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > >
    > > >> What torques me off more than ANYthing else are people that go the

    speed
    > > >> limit in the left (fast) lane on the freeway!!!

    > >
    > > > What is wrong with going the speed limit?

    > >
    > > In the passing lane? Everything, from pissing people off to obstructing
    > > emergency vehicles to breaking the law that says keep right except
    > > to pass.
    > >

    > Exactly. A friend of ours used to plant himself in the left lane on
    > the freeway and drive the speed limit. Thought it was his "right" and
    > claimed it inhibited all those illegal speeders who wanted to get
    > around him. He did this for years until the highway patrol gave him a
    > pretty large ticket for obstructing traffic. He took it to trial and
    > the judge told him he was an idiot. Politely. My rule at any speed
    > is, if I am not going faster than the cars in the lane to my right, I
    > should move over. That's what 'slower traffic keep right' means.
    > -aem


    Heheh, too right. It is not one road users job to police the speed another
    road user chooses to drive at, nor is it a safe or legal thing to do. That
    is the job of the police alone.



    Shaun aRe
     
  10. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]


    > > I had major eye surgery in July. The doctor said I had to wear this
    > > metal thing over my eye to protect it. I was doubtful, but she was
    > > insistent. What's going to happen when I'm sleeping? A herd of
    > > elephants come running through? I'm a compliant patient, so OK. It was
    > > pretty stressful, so I'm not sleeping so well. My wife isn't either.
    > > I'm awake, and she is tossing and turning. *Whack* and I get it right
    > > in the eye. OK, the doctor is right. A little later, and *whack* again
    > > in the eye.


    > Perhaps separate beds are in order for a while. Well, not all the time, but
    > a few nights a week to give some relief.



    No, it was fine. We don't do the separate beds thing. The metal thing
    was fine. She didn't punch me, she just turned over. I wasn't hurt at
    all.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  11. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote


    > > Dan - with two eye patches - who wore them for a while this summer
    > >
    > > I was off sick for two weeks. I couldn't drive and could barely read.
    > > I didn't post here then, because I just couldn't see.

    >
    > Well, I guess not with two eye patches on! Whatever it was, sorry to
    > hear it.



    Sorry. It was a joke. They were different colors. Wardrobe
    coordination. One was blue and one was black. I never wore them both.



    > > ObEyePatchMaybeFunny: I wore an eye patch about ten years ago. It just
    > > happened to be the Fourth of July. A little kid in the neighborhood
    > > asked me why I was wearing it. I told him it was a fireworks accident.
    > > Just kidding. He didn't quite know how to handle that.

    >
    > (laugh) Funny, yet mean.


    Another sorry. I am not a mean person. I would never, ever, do that to
    a kid. Not ever. I am not crying. Really. Not yet. I know that you
    are a really nice person. I'm not going to take this personally.

    Do you think I'm being a little overly sensitive about this?

    :)

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  12. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote


    > > Dan - with two eye patches - who wore them for a while this summer
    > >
    > > I was off sick for two weeks. I couldn't drive and could barely read.
    > > I didn't post here then, because I just couldn't see.

    >
    > Well, I guess not with two eye patches on! Whatever it was, sorry to
    > hear it.



    Sorry. It was a joke. They were different colors. Wardrobe
    coordination. One was blue and one was black. I never wore them both.



    > > ObEyePatchMaybeFunny: I wore an eye patch about ten years ago. It just
    > > happened to be the Fourth of July. A little kid in the neighborhood
    > > asked me why I was wearing it. I told him it was a fireworks accident.
    > > Just kidding. He didn't quite know how to handle that.

    >
    > (laugh) Funny, yet mean.


    Another sorry. I am not a mean person. I would never, ever, do that to
    a kid. Not ever. I am not crying. Really. Not yet. I know that you
    are a really nice person. I'm not going to take this personally.

    Do you think I'm being a little overly sensitive about this?

    :)

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  13. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <4392750d$0$6824[email protected]>,
    "Bob Terwilliger" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:


    > Oh, now THAT'S one of my pet peeves: People REFUSE to pass a cop, no matter
    > how slowly the cop is driving. Or they'll automatically hit their brakes



    Surely you are joking, Mr. Bob? A cop driving below the speed limit?
    Of course, maybe they were checking something out, so they couldn't
    drive their normal speed, which doesn't have a lot to do with the speed
    limit.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  14. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob Terwilliger" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:


    > Oh, now THAT'S one of my pet peeves: People REFUSE to pass a cop, no matter
    > how slowly the cop is driving. Or they'll automatically hit their brakes



    Surely you are joking, Mr. Bob? A cop driving below the speed limit?
    Of course, maybe they were checking something out, so they couldn't
    drive their normal speed, which doesn't have a lot to do with the speed
    limit.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  15. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:


    > And if anyone doubts the importance of charm, I've been pulled over exactly
    > once. State trooper let me off with a warning. I had expired tags, a tail
    > light out and I was going 93 in a 55. Charm.


    What's your bra size?

    This upsets me. You drive too fast, you drive too slow, you get a
    ticket. I get a ticket for driving over 55. Speed kills. Need to save
    gas. This is a major freeway. If I drive 55 on this very same freeway
    today in the fast lane, I expect a ticket for impeding traffic. Of
    course, if I'm an attractive female with large breasts, and the officer
    is male, I don't get a ticket. I have "charm".

    If I am male, or if, God forbid, I'm a female and ugly, I get a ticket.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]
    Petaluma, California, USA
     
  16. "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > Some people have to
    > obey the law. Some don't. That's life. Do you think that George Bush
    > stops at the stop sign? Not likely. The police escort has already
    > stopped the traffic.


    Bull shit! Presidential motorcade is done for a reason, but the rest of us
    are bound by the same laws as everyone else. Are you saying certain people
    do not have to obey the law and may steal your property? The cyclist is
    endangering others by not stopping when he is supposed to. Cyclist goes past
    stop sign, you run into him, who gets sued? Even if you win, you don't need
    the hassle.
     
  17. Pan Ohco

    Pan Ohco Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 02:54:00 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Bob Terwilliger" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    >
    >> Oh, now THAT'S one of my pet peeves: People REFUSE to pass a cop, no matter
    >> how slowly the cop is driving. Or they'll automatically hit their brakes

    >
    >
    >Surely you are joking, Mr. Bob? A cop driving below the speed limit?
    >Of course, maybe they were checking something out, so they couldn't
    >drive their normal speed, which doesn't have a lot to do with the speed
    >limit.


    Cops that are patrolling generally drive below the speed limit, all
    the better to see you. :)

    On a highway different story.
     
  18. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    >
    > >
    > > Nah. That's the compromise of many of us. :)

    >
    > Reminds me of one of the things I utter in the throes of road rage: "Did you
    > ever notice that SLOW and STUPID mean the same thing? OF COURSE YOU NEVER
    > NOTICED!"
    >
    > Anybody else here prone to road rage?
    >


    Age has made me a little more tolerant, but there are times when I get totally
    frustrated with the stupidity of other drivers. The city close to me has to
    have the worst drivers. They aren't that fast, just really bad. They don't know
    what lane to drive in or which lane to turn into. They always seem to stick to
    the left lane even if they are going slower than the speed limit. It gets
    frustrating when you are at an intersection of two four lane roads and trying to
    make a turn to go the same direction as the oncoming car. If both drivers turn
    into the closest lane, just like you are supposed to, there should be no problem
    with both cars turning at the same time. the trouble is that the car making a
    left turn will head for the far right lane, and the cars turning right will head
    for the left lane. If it wasn't for the no fault insurance we have here I would
    just go ahead and make a proper turn and let the stupid SOBs hit me. It's still
    fun to just go ahead and make the turn and watch the look on their face, but
    keeping a foot near the brake in case they are in complete oblivion.

    One of the worst things is the self appointed traffic director, the sort that
    stops in a moving lane to let someone out. I don't know what their problem is.
    Sure, it's nice of them to give someone a little help, but they have no business
    stopping like that when there are people behind. They should just keep going
    and let the person merging deal with the traffic. I almost got creamed last year
    when someone did that in front of me, which was bad enough, but then he stopped
    to let someone come out from a side street. I am sure the person he stopped for
    could have managed to get out on his own.

    Thanks to this guy's courtesy to a merging car and disregard for the cars
    following him I almost got rear ended. I had been moving along minding my own
    business when this dink pulled out in front of me forcing me to slow down. He no
    sooner did that than he stopped and signalled the other car to come on out, so I
    had to stop. Next thing you know, I am hearing the rubber squealing from the
    pickup behind me slamming on his brakes.
     
  19. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bob Terwilliger wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > >
    > > > Nah. That's the compromise of many of us. :)

    > >
    > > Reminds me of one of the things I utter in the throes of road rage: "Did

    you
    > > ever notice that SLOW and STUPID mean the same thing? OF COURSE YOU

    NEVER
    > > NOTICED!"
    > >
    > > Anybody else here prone to road rage?
    > >

    >
    > Age has made me a little more tolerant,


    Well, sure...that, and mounting a bazooka on the left front fender...

    :) :) :)

    Bob M.
     
  20. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    >
    >
    > Well, sure...that, and mounting a bazooka on the left front fender...
    >
    > :) :) :)
    >
    > Bob M.


    I have found that getting over road rage is a simple matter of selfishness.
    You cannot make the numbskull drivers go away or change their driving, so
    you have two choices:

    1) Get all angry, upset, and fume about it and perhaps cause an accident.
    2) Relax and ignore it.

    Which is better for *YOU*?

    I am serious about this. I never had "road rage" per se but I was very quick
    on the horn and was regularly fuming about idiot drivers (of which there is
    no shortage!). Why let them get to me? Do what's best for me, and relaxing
    is surely it.


    --
    Peter Aitken
     
Loading...