Re: Way, way OT: PC stuff/rant

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>>

>> Well, sure...that, and mounting a bazooka on the left front fender...
>>
>> :) :) :)
>>
>> Bob M.

> I have found that getting over road rage is a simple matter of
> selfishness. You cannot make the numbskull drivers go away or change their
> driving, so you have two choices:
>
> 1) Get all angry, upset, and fume about it and perhaps cause an accident.
> 2) Relax and ignore it.
>
> Which is better for *YOU*?
>
> I am serious about this. I never had "road rage" per se but I was very
> quick on the horn and was regularly fuming about idiot drivers (of which
> there is no shortage!). Why let them get to me? Do what's best for me, and
> relaxing is surely it.

> Peter Aitken

Blowing horns is one thing I've never understood except for immediate
danger. For one thing, it can scare the begezzus out of you and almost
cause an accident from jerking around to try to get out of the way of
something unknown.

In driving thru VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, on to CT on a regular basis, I never
hear much horn blowing. We traveled 150 miles today on both highway and
city and we never heard a horn; however, we will hear it regularly in CT. I
wonder if it is a learned/passed down trait.
Dee Dee

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In driving thru VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, on to CT on a regular basis, I
> never hear much horn blowing. We traveled 150 miles today on both
> highway and city and we never heard a horn; however, we will hear it
> regularly in CT. I wonder if it is a learned/passed down trait.

Two places I have lived - Malta and New Delhi - they drive on their
horns. Especially in Delhi they tap their horns whenever they overtake.
Not sure why but there is a lot of road rage if someone forgets.

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:25:55 GMT, "Bob Myers"
<[email protected]> rummaged among random neurons and
opined:

>"Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> > Anybody else here prone to road rage?
>> >

>> Age has made me a little more tolerant,

>Well, sure...that, and mounting a bazooka on the left front fender...

A friend of mine once said that she'd only be comfortable driving in
SoCal if she had a Hummer with a gun mount.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In driving thru VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, on to CT on a regular basis, I
>> never hear much horn blowing. We traveled 150 miles today on both
>> highway and city and we never heard a horn; however, we will hear it
>> regularly in CT. I wonder if it is a learned/passed down trait.

> Two places I have lived - Malta and New Delhi - they drive on their horns.
> Especially in Delhi they tap their horns whenever they overtake. Not sure
> why but there is a lot of road rage if someone forgets.

Well, that's annoying. I almost never hear horns, thank goodness, I'm
easily startled. My neighbor has the irritating habit of beeping her horn
in her driveway to tell her husband to come get the groceries, if I happen
to be in the kitchen when she does that, I have to be peeled off the
ceiling (laugh). Anyway, my car might as well not have a horn, I never
use it. I figure the time it takes to find the horn I should be using for
accident avoidance maneuvers.

nancy

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> In driving thru VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, on to CT on a regular basis, I
>>> never hear much horn blowing. We traveled 150 miles today on both
>>> highway and city and we never heard a horn; however, we will hear it
>>> regularly in CT. I wonder if it is a learned/passed down trait.

>> Two places I have lived - Malta and New Delhi - they drive on their
>> horns. Especially in Delhi they tap their horns whenever they overtake.
>> Not sure why but there is a lot of road rage if someone forgets.

<snip> Anyway, my car might as well not have a horn, I never
> use it. I figure the time it takes to find the horn I should be using for
> accident avoidance maneuvers.
>
> nancy

I feel exactly the same way. If I took the time to honk my horn I might not
be able to avoid whatever is going that would make me want to honk. Funny
thing is I honk my horn quite a bit.... on accident! The whole center of my
steering wheel is a horn and I've had to smile and wave more times than I
care to say.

Lynne

King's Crown wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Two places I have lived - Malta and New Delhi - they drive on their
>>> horns. Especially in Delhi they tap their horns whenever they overtake.
>>> Not sure why but there is a lot of road rage if someone forgets.

> <snip> Anyway, my car might as well not have a horn, I never
>> use it. I figure the time it takes to find the horn I should be using for
>> accident avoidance maneuvers.
>>
>> nancy

> I feel exactly the same way. If I took the time to honk my horn I might not
> be able to avoid whatever is going that would make me want to honk. Funny
> thing is I honk my horn quite a bit.... on accident! The whole center of my
> steering wheel is a horn and I've had to smile and wave more times than I
> care to say.
>
> Lynne

Before David moved in with me he lived about 10 blocks north on the same
street. I'd have to pass his place to get home after wrk and he always wanted
me to honk as I drove by so that he would know I was almost home and he could
get ready to head over. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't bring myself to
honk, I was so afraid of offending the people around me. So, he just had to
wait until I got home and then I called.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

"The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote

> Before David moved in with me he lived about 10 blocks north on the same
> street. I'd have to pass his place to get home after wrk and he always
> wanted
> me to honk as I drove by so that he would know I was almost home and he
> could
> get ready to head over. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't bring myself to
> honk, I was so afraid of offending the people around me. So, he just had
> wait until I got home and then I called.

Grrrrr, that is maddening. Someone in this hell hole apartment complex
would
BEEEEEEEP at someone every time they came in our out of the parking lot.
Drove me up the wall. Finally Ron stormed out and explained to them how
they
would stop doing that and they never did it again.

(laugh) nancy

Nancy Young wrote:

> "The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Before David moved in with me he lived about 10 blocks north on the same
>> street. I'd have to pass his place to get home after wrk and he always
>> wanted
>> me to honk as I drove by so that he would know I was almost home and he
>> could
>> get ready to head over. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't bring myself to
>> honk, I was so afraid of offending the people around me. So, he just had
>> wait until I got home and then I called.

> Grrrrr, that is maddening. Someone in this hell hole apartment complex
> would
> BEEEEEEEP at someone every time they came in our out of the parking lot.
> Drove me up the wall. Finally Ron stormed out and explained to them how
> they
> would stop doing that and they never did it again.
>
> (laugh) nancy

I had a neighbor that got picked up early every morning for work. The person
picking her up would honk...then honk again...and again...then
hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonk in case she hadn't been heard before.

Every morning.

I hated them both.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:39:21 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Two places I have lived - Malta and New Delhi - they drive on their
>horns. Especially in Delhi they tap their horns whenever they overtake.
>Not sure why but there is a lot of road rage if someone forgets.

Here in SoCal, you rarely hear drivers blasting horns. For one thing,
it's illegal except in an emergency. Lots of nice, friendly folks
waving to me with one finger, though :)

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:39:21 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>

>>Two places I have lived - Malta and New Delhi - they drive on their
>>horns. Especially in Delhi they tap their horns whenever they overtake.
>>Not sure why but there is a lot of road rage if someone forgets.
>>

> Here in SoCal, you rarely hear drivers blasting horns. For one thing,
> it's illegal except in an emergency. Lots of nice, friendly folks
> waving to me with one finger, though :)

we call that "telling that guy he's number one!"

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On 2005-12-15, Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Here in SoCal, you rarely hear drivers blasting horns. For one thing,
> it's illegal except in an emergency.

'Course hearing AK47's blasting for right-of-way is not so
exceptional.

nb

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:39:21 GMT, "Ophelia" <[email protected]>
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>Two places I have lived - Malta and New Delhi - they drive on their
>>horns. Especially in Delhi they tap their horns whenever they
>>overtake.
>>Not sure why but there is a lot of road rage if someone forgets.
>>

> Here in SoCal, you rarely hear drivers blasting horns. For one thing,
> it's illegal except in an emergency. Lots of nice, friendly folks
> waving to me with one finger, though :)

LOL

notbob replied to Squeaks:

>> Here in SoCal, you rarely hear drivers blasting horns. For one thing,
>> it's illegal except in an emergency.

> 'Course hearing AK47's blasting for right-of-way is not so
> exceptional.

This reminded me of the scene in "L.A. Story" where Steve Martin and his
girlfriend were driving on the freeway. Martin realizes that it's the first
day of summer and HE DOESN'T HAVE A GUN IN HIS HAND. So he reaches over to
the glove compartment to get the gun out and get it loaded. While taking
these Los-Angeles-normal precautions, he doesn't pay sufficient attention to
his driving, and ends up swerving from lane to lane. Naturally, this
irritates the other drivers on the road and a running gun battle ensues.

(Coincidentally, I was reminded of a scene from "The Jerk" just last night
on the chat line. Must be Steve Martin synchronicity.)

Bob

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote

> these Los-Angeles-normal precautions, he doesn't pay sufficient attention
> his driving, and ends up swerving from lane to lane. Naturally, this
> irritates the other drivers on the road and a running gun battle ensues.

Oh, so it was a precurser to cell phone drivers. Gotcha.

> (Coincidentally, I was reminded of a scene from "The Jerk" just last night
> on the chat line. Must be Steve Martin synchronicity.)

You were in chat and The Jerk came up? What *are* the odds?
(smile) Kidding! That movie cracked me up, The new phone books
are here, the new phone books are here! Uh, that is the right movie,
right?

nancy (has a secret crush on Steve Martin)