Re: Weight Problems

byron27

Guest
powinc wrote:
> At 95kg can I just choose any aluminium road bike frame with certainty
> or should I be selective? And does the same apply for wheels, are some
> more weight bearing than others?
> powinc

I used to weigh 93kg and i from my experience maybe another material may
be better to consider for a frame. I have broken every aluminium frame i
have had, the longest lasting only 6 months. Essentially, the bigger the
frame, the less robust it will be compared to a smaller frame. I have
had the same carbon fibre frame for 5 years and you can never go past
the joys of steel. Wheels are another thing to really consider and there
was a post a couple of weeks ago on the equipment forum discussing
wheels for bigger riders. Mavic CXP30's are strong and the more spokes
you have the stronger your wheel will be. Invest in a good stem and
handlebar as well. You dont want these breaking as you go around a
corner at speed (which has happened to me twice!).

It sucks in a way having to invest a bit more because you are bigger but
its also likely that you will be stronger than other riders :p