Re: We're all Dinosaurs

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, [Not
Responding] ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Yesterday I met some internet people in RL. It was a ride put together
> by someone on the C+ web forum.
>
> It was all good fun. But I was struck by how this new generation of
> internet users have almost no knowledge of usenet.

True. New Internet users are not now introduced to Usenet, and when they
do try it it looks clunky and old fashioned to them. Of course, it is
clunky and old fashioned - but it also works extremely well, and I
honestly don't know of any 'web forum' system which works (and scales)
anything like as well.

So, frankly, I'm happy to remain a dinosaur.

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

Simon Brooke wrote:

> True. New Internet users are not now introduced to Usenet, and when they
> do try it it looks clunky and old fashioned to them. Of course, it is
> clunky and old fashioned - but it also works extremely well, and I
> honestly don't know of any 'web forum' system which works (and scales)
> anything like as well.

I find it far from clunky and old fashioned (maybe that says something
about me). I hate reading e-mails through a web interface, preferring a
good e-mail programme like Thunderbird to read my e-mails and reading
Usenet in it is just like reading e-mails. I can download everything to
my laptop and browse, search and read everything off-line on the train,
plane or just sat around.

Tony