Re: We're all Dinosaurs

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, Sniper805
(L96A1) ('[email protected]') wrote:

> John Mallard wrote:
>> [Not Responding] wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>>But I was struck by how this new generation of
>>>internet users have almost no knowledge of usenet.

>> [...]
>>
>> Shh! Don't tell them we're here. ;-)
>>
>>>It appears that however much I dislike web forums, they do seem to be
>>>taking over as the internet discussion tool.

>> Ah, usenet. The Radio Four of internet discussion tools.
>>

> I thought I had dragged myself into the 21st century, now you say
> there's another way to talk to people. What's the difference between
> a usenet group and a web forum?

Usenet is ancient, vast, public, decentralised, flexible, anarchic,
highly efficient in its use of network resources, and allows highly
sophisticated filtering of messages (you shouldn't ever get offered a
message you've seen before, for example, even if it was also posted to
another group you read; you can choose to highlight or wholly ignore
posts based on a wide range of criteria; and so on). You can choose
from a variety of tools to interact with Usenet through a user
interface which suits you. The 'problem' with Usenet is that although
it is cheap to run, no-one has found any way of making money out of it.

Web forums are newer, small, insular, individually centralised,
inflexible, policed, highly inefficient in use of network resources;
few allow any filtering of messages, and those that do allow only
limited filtering; and you can only interact with a web forum through
its own user interface, which is inevitably different to every other
forums user interface.

"The result is a language that... not even its mother could
love. Like the camel, Common Lisp is a horse designed by
committee. Camels do have their uses."
;; Scott Fahlman, 7 March 1995

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> Usenet is ancient, vast, public, decentralised, flexible, anarchic,
> highly efficient in its use of network resources, and allows highly
> sophisticated filtering of messages (you shouldn't ever get offered a
> message you've seen before, for example, even if it was also posted to
> another group you read; you can choose to highlight or wholly ignore
> posts based on a wide range of criteria; and so on). You can choose
> from a variety of tools to interact with Usenet through a user
> interface which suits you. The 'problem' with Usenet is that although
> it is cheap to run, no-one has found any way of making money out of it.
> Web forums are newer, small, insular, individually centralised,
> inflexible, policed, highly inefficient in use of network resources;
> few allow any filtering of messages, and those that do allow only
> limited filtering; and you can only interact with a web forum through
> its own user interface, which is inevitably different to every other
> forums user interface.

But /apart/ from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

--
Guy

[snipped]

>Web forums are..... policed

[snipped]

....which I don't necessarily think is always a bad thing.
One example I'd cite in this respect is BentRider Online. I'm pretty
sure the forum section of the web-site is moderated, and in comparison
to the usenet newsgroup, 'alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent' which has become
poisoned with so much boring mindless ********, this is refreshingly
welcome.

Garry

garryb59 wrote:
> ********

*beep* This is a rude word. Please refrain from expressing yourself in a
public medium.

Jon

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:15:06 +0000, garryb59
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I'd cite in this respect is BentRider Online. I'm pretty
>sure the forum section of the web-site is moderated, and in comparison
>to the usenet newsgroup, 'alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent' which has become
>poisoned with so much boring mindless ********, this is refreshingly
>welcome.

You can always kf Ed, you know ;-)

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:04:25 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:15:06 +0000, garryb59
><[email protected]> wrote in message
><[email protected]>:
>
>>I'd cite in this respect is BentRider Online. I'm pretty
>>sure the forum section of the web-site is moderated, and in comparison
>>to the usenet newsgroup, 'alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent' which has become
>>poisoned with so much boring mindless ********, this is refreshingly
>>welcome.

>You can always kf Ed, you know ;-)

Sure, I guess this would be the sensible option really, apart from the
fact that I've got some kind of inexplicable aversion to 'killfiling',
it's against my religion even though I have none! He's ok sometimes,
and he expresses his 'world view' with a kind of literary elequence
that is almost persuasive to the uninformed [:-], but other times it's
so very, very draining and depressing. Still, it is the internet
afterall.

Be interesting to meet him in RL though...is he really like that????
Bizzare stuff.

Garry

> 'alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent'

Actually, I have to take back what I said about this ng, it's not
'that' bad!

Garry

garryb59 wrote:

> One example I'd cite in this respect is BentRider Online. I'm pretty
> sure the forum section of the web-site is moderated, and in comparison
> to the usenet newsgroup, 'alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent' which has become
> poisoned with so much boring mindless ********, this is refreshingly
> welcome.

AFAIK 'BROL only gets moderated when Bryan thinks things have gone too far.
a.r.b.r. is 99% a Bunch of ****.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)