Re: Wet weather tire pressure

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by VisionSet, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. VisionSet

    VisionSet Guest

    "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > [email protected]
    > > DRS <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Curtis <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> [email protected]

    > >> No.

    > > I say yes as it puts more rubber in contact with the road (larger
    > > contact patch).

    > 1. It allows the tyre to squirm more, thus reducing its handling.
    > 2. To the extent that it applies to bicycle tyres, lower pressure allows
    > the tread to deform which in turn reduces its effectiveness at displacing
    > water. That's why motorcycle racers always run wet weather tyres at full
    > pressure.

    Didn't one of the bike tyre manufacturers do a test, and they found that
    insufficient water displacement would only occur if you cycled 200mph.
    Having a larger contact patch through a little underinflation is hardly
    likely to bring that figure anywhere near an obtainable value.

    --
    Mike W