Re: What are the most important things when buying a bike?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tumbleweed, Dec 12, 2004.

  1. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    > Tumbleweed wrote:
    >>
    >> Werent they all employed in soem respect by their
    >> universities.professors, teaching assistants etc?
    >>

    > And where does University funding come from?

    Some from the tax paper, some from patronage, some from industry. All a
    fixed amount rather than an open ended sum available to anyone who'd like to
    study indefinitely.

    >> I take your point, but that doens't imply that therefore anyone should be
    >> able to study whatever they want for as long as they want..which is the
    >> implication of the complaint that people who choose to do post grad
    >> studies should be funded by someone else (generally aka the rest of us).
    >>

    > Who do you think actually does most of the research?

    'the* research???'...you'll have to narrow it down a bit more than
    that.....research into media studies..surfing....david beckham...quantum
    mechanics..film criticism....DNA...genetics...????

    >>>As for baroque music being irrelevant as a subject to study, I bet more
    >>>westerners would be familiar with the works of Bach, Vivaldi and Handel

    >> None of whom got grants or even student loans.
    >>

    > But lived instead on patronage - the then equivalent of today's Arts
    > Council grant - and what they could earn from part time jobs and selling
    > compositions - the then equivalent of a part time evening job.
    >

    > Tony

    Well then perhaps todays post grads can do that instead of whinging about
    not being supported by those on uk.rec.cycling (trying to get back on topic)
    who pay taxes.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

    Tags:

  2. "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> writes:

    >"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Tumbleweed wrote:

    >>> Werent they all employed in soem respect by their
    >>> universities.professors, teaching assistants etc?

    >> And where does University funding come from?

    >Some from the tax paper, some from patronage, some from industry. All a
    >fixed amount rather than an open ended sum available to anyone who'd like to
    >study indefinitely.

    You don't get accepted to do a postgrad degree just because you want
    to. There are necessary qualifications, which ensures that only a few
    unusually clever and well educated folk are allowed in. And you don't
    get to study indefinitely. If you muck about you get thrown out. If
    you try hard but can't make the grade you get thrown out. And if you
    do make reasonable progress, but slowly, after a certain reasonable
    amount of time you're thrown on your own resources. After a certain
    further time, you're thrown out.
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  3. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:

    : You don't get accepted to do a postgrad degree just because you want
    : to.

    Really? That may still be true for a PhD course, but it's definatly no
    longer true for a MSc. Pay the money and you get let on the course. And
    once you've paid, you'll have to really, really, really try to fail.

    Arthur

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  4. "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> writes:

    >Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:

    >: You don't get accepted to do a postgrad degree just because you want
    >: to.

    >Really? That may still be true for a PhD course, but it's definatly no
    >longer true for a MSc. Pay the money and you get let on the course. And
    >once you've paid, you'll have to really, really, really try to fail.

    They may well do that in some of these rubbish modern "universities"
    the Govt created as a prelude to stuffing half the population through
    "university".
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  5. Brian G

    Brian G Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : You don't get accepted to do a postgrad degree just because you want
    > : to.
    >
    > Really? That may still be true for a PhD course, but it's definatly no
    > longer true for a MSc. Pay the money and you get let on the course. And
    > once you've paid, you'll have to really, really, really try to fail.
    >
    > Arthur

    You're saying that British universities are now offering Masters degrees
    for sale, a practice hitherto thought to be confined to Certain Other
    Countries. Is there an age limit for purchasers? I never did get
    around to doing a Masters when young. :)

    --
    Brian G

  6. On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:53:36 +0000, Brian G <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Arthur Clune wrote:
    >> Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> : You don't get accepted to do a postgrad degree just because you want
    >> : to.
    >>
    >> Really? That may still be true for a PhD course, but it's definatly no
    >> longer true for a MSc. Pay the money and you get let on the course. And
    >> once you've paid, you'll have to really, really, really try to fail.
    >>
    >> Arthur
    >>

    >You're saying that British universities are now offering Masters degrees
    >for sale, a practice hitherto thought to be confined to Certain Other
    >Countries. Is there an age limit for purchasers? I never did get
    >around to doing a Masters when young. :)

    It's more the case that if you keep writing the cheques (couple of
    grand a year?), they won't throw you off. Still have to do the work to
    get the degree, though.

  7. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:53:36 +0000, Brian G <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Arthur Clune wrote:
    >>> Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> : You don't get accepted to do a postgrad degree just because you want
    >>> : to.
    >>>
    >>> Really? That may still be true for a PhD course, but it's definatly no
    >>> longer true for a MSc. Pay the money and you get let on the course. And
    >>> once you've paid, you'll have to really, really, really try to fail.
    >>>
    >>> Arthur
    >>>

    >>You're saying that British universities are now offering Masters degrees
    >>for sale, a practice hitherto thought to be confined to Certain Other
    >>Countries. Is there an age limit for purchasers? I never did get
    >>around to doing a Masters when young. :)

    > It's more the case that if you keep writing the cheques (couple of
    > grand a year?), they won't throw you off. Still have to do the work to
    > get the degree, though.

    Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got an MA
    there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying a few quid.
    This was <fx>cough</fx> several years ago though.

    --

  8. Tumbleweed wrote:
    > " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>It's more the case that if you keep writing the cheques (couple of
    >>grand a year?), they won't throw you off. Still have to do the work to
    >>get the degree, though.

    > Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got an MA
    > there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying a few quid.
    > This was <fx>cough</fx> several years ago though.

    This is historical. The MA is what your friend went there to get. They
    gave him a BSc after 3 or 4 years to give him a bit of paper that
    employers would understand, as that's the bit of paper the other English
    universities hand out, until he qualified for his MA after seven years.
    It is the other English universities that are "different", for what it
    matters.

    Colin

  9. Tumbleweed wrote:

    > Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got
    > an MA there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying
    > a few quid. This was <fx>cough</fx> several years ago though.

    And Oxford, or at least it was the case when Dr Larrington went from BA to
    MA.

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

  10. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:

    : They may well do that in some of these rubbish modern "universities"
    : the Govt created as a prelude to stuffing half the population through
    : "university".

    Really? Do you think it's just the modern ones? Look at my posting address

    Arthur (yeah, I now, it's not that modern....)

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  11. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Brian G <[email protected]> wrote:

    : You're saying that British universities are now offering Masters degrees
    : for sale

    No. Nothing that blatent. I'm saying that if you pay, and turn up and hand
    in something bearing a vague relation to what you are ment to hand in,
    even if that isn't very good, then you'll pass.

    It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness

  12. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got an MA
    > there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying a few quid.

    Bzzt. No such thing as a BSc at Cambridge. Those new-fangled things
    are an innovation of newer universities.

    And why did he want to *pay* for his MA? Didn't he earn it?

    --
    Nick Kew

  13. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Arthur (yeah, I now, it's not that modern....)

    1960s-vintage, innit? The penultimate big wave of expansion gave us
    some unis with rather strong reputations - like Warwick, for instance.

    I have some vague recollection of putting York on my UCCA form and
    visiting it[1] as a sixth-former. Looked OK - I think I might even
    have gone there if Cambridge had turned me down.

    [1] They were careful not to call it an interview - they really
    couldn't afford to risk intimidating or insulting candidates
    with the notion of having to achieve something even then.

    --
    Nick Kew

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tumbleweed wrote:

    > Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got an MA
    > there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying a few quid.
    > This was <fx>cough</fx> several years ago though.

    Cambridge and Oxford tradition I believe - plus you have to stay out of
    jail to qualify. OTOH most employers know that so discount its value.

    Tony

  15. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >> Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got an
    >> MA
    >> there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying a few
    >> quid.

    Well it was umpty years ago , maybe it wasa BA then. Materials Science or
    some such IIRC.

    > Bzzt. No such thing as a BSc at Cambridge. Those new-fangled things
    > are an innovation of newer universities.
    >
    > And why did he want to *pay* for his MA? Didn't he earn it?
    >
    > --
    > Nick Kew

    Again IIRC he had to pay some trivial sum of money and then he got it. Maybe
    he didnt even have to pay any money.

    --

  16. In article <[email protected]>, Tumbleweed wrote:
    >> grand a year?), they won't throw you off. Still have to do the work to
    >> get the degree, though.

    >Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got an MA
    >there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying a few quid.

    After his BA, Cambridge doesn't hold with these newfangled BSc things.
    And you have to have not been convicted of anything serious in the meantime
    so someone can assure someone else in Latin that you are of good character
    (and it's five years after matriculation, which is generally two years after
    graduation). As far as I know it's still the same.

  17. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Tumbleweed
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > " [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]
    >> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:53:36 +0000, Brian G <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:

    > Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got
    > an MA there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying
    > a few quid. This was <fx>cough</fx> several years ago though.

    My father did that, immediately before the war. Mind you, he had just
    got a double first.

    ;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
    -- Drink C'lloid

  18. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>, Tumbleweed
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    >>" [Not Responding] " <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>message news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:53:36 +0000, Brian G <[email protected]>
    >>>wrote:

    >>Except at Cambridge IIRC? Do they still do that? A friend of mine got
    >>an MA there just for turning up a year later after his BSc and paying
    >>a few quid. This was <fx>cough</fx> several years ago though.

    > My father did that, immediately before the war. Mind you, he had just
    > got a double first.

    Dr Martin (the other one) did that at Oxford. paid her tenner and got
    her MA. Then a D phil so she is another MAD Phil..

    ...d

  19. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Brian G wrote:

    > You're saying that British universities are now offering Masters degrees
    > for sale, a practice hitherto thought to be confined to Certain Other
    > Countries. Is there an age limit for purchasers? I never did get
    > around to doing a Masters when young. :)

    I believe mine sells them for about a tenner. I've not got round to
    buying one yet.

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  20. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Tumbleweed wrote:
    > Again IIRC he had to pay some trivial sum of money and then he got it. Maybe
    > he didnt even have to pay any money.

    The money was to cover "administrative fees".

    We had a teacher at school who was ex-Cambridge. He held a BA in
    physics. The university contacted him a year (IIRC) after his degree to
    offer him the MA. He politely declined, explaining that if he wanted an
    MA, he go and do one.

    The argument was that an Oxbridge BA was worth an MA from A.N.Other
    university. Of course, the fact that they didn't give you the MA from
    the start, combined with the peculiar wait (Based on the assumption that
    your knowledge in the field will have been steadily increasing since the
    end of your degree!) makes it look like a bit like an Old Boy's pat on
    the back.

    Jon