Re: what bike for the heavy folk

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Nick Kew, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    jas0n wrote:

    > Longer term Id like a nice touring bike

    I'd have thought that's exactly what you want now! It combines
    strength, comfort and an easy ride, and will certainly shorten the
    effective journey compared to a hybrid (I've commuted that kind of
    distance on a tourer, but would think it a b***** long way on a
    lesser bike).

    Not sure what tourer to suggest: my weight is sufficient to
    influence what clothes I can reasonably wear whilst cycling,
    but not such as to be an important consideration in choosing
    a steed:)

    <whisper>Have you considered the Dark Side?</whisper>

    --
    Nick Kew

    Tags:

  2. vernon levy

    vernon levy Guest

    Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > jas0n wrote:
    >
    > > Longer term Id like a nice touring bike

    > I'd have thought that's exactly what you want now! It combines
    > strength, comfort and an easy ride, and will certainly shorten the
    > effective journey compared to a hybrid (I've commuted that kind of
    > distance on a tourer, but would think it a b***** long way on a
    > lesser bike).

    At 22.5 stones, I returned to cycling with a Carrerra Kraken SE
    mountain bike and found its 27 gears to be an excellent weapon against
    the attempts of Mr Gravity to thwart my attempts to climb hills. Six
    months later I complted the C2C Whitehaven to Sunderland cycle route
    with a free 12 speed Raleigh racing bike loaded up with camping gear
    and panniers. Poor choice of steed - I had to get off and push on the
    steeper hills but it was free :)

    I subsequently bought a Ridgeback hybrid and found it to be faster
    than my road bike on 50+ mile rides because it had a triple chain ring
    at the front which gave me a wider spread of gears.

    I also have a Dawes Galaxy tourer which has coped well with my weight
    and touring gear. It's a comfortable machine and is scheduled for use
    on Audax rides and another attempt on Lands End - John O Groats.

    You'd spend more money upgrading your current bike than you's spend on
    a decent second hand hybrid or tourer. There are lots of bargains to
    be had from the small adds in the local newspapaers and bike
    magazines.

    Go for it!