Re: what bike for the heavy folk

Nick Kew

Guest
jas0n wrote:

> Longer term Id like a nice touring bike

I'd have thought that's exactly what you want now! It combines
strength, comfort and an easy ride, and will certainly shorten the
effective journey compared to a hybrid (I've commuted that kind of
distance on a tourer, but would think it a b***** long way on a
lesser bike).

Not sure what tourer to suggest: my weight is sufficient to
influence what clothes I can reasonably wear whilst cycling,
but not such as to be an important consideration in choosing
a steed:)

<whisper>Have you considered the Dark Side?</whisper>

--
Nick Kew

Nick Kew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> jas0n wrote:
>
> > Longer term Id like a nice touring bike

> I'd have thought that's exactly what you want now! It combines
> strength, comfort and an easy ride, and will certainly shorten the
> effective journey compared to a hybrid (I've commuted that kind of
> distance on a tourer, but would think it a b***** long way on a
> lesser bike).

At 22.5 stones, I returned to cycling with a Carrerra Kraken SE
mountain bike and found its 27 gears to be an excellent weapon against
the attempts of Mr Gravity to thwart my attempts to climb hills. Six
months later I complted the C2C Whitehaven to Sunderland cycle route
with a free 12 speed Raleigh racing bike loaded up with camping gear
and panniers. Poor choice of steed - I had to get off and push on the
steeper hills but it was free :)

I subsequently bought a Ridgeback hybrid and found it to be faster
than my road bike on 50+ mile rides because it had a triple chain ring
at the front which gave me a wider spread of gears.

I also have a Dawes Galaxy tourer which has coped well with my weight
and touring gear. It's a comfortable machine and is scheduled for use
on Audax rides and another attempt on Lands End - John O Groats.

You'd spend more money upgrading your current bike than you's spend on
a decent second hand hybrid or tourer. There are lots of bargains to
be had from the small adds in the local newspapaers and bike
magazines.

Go for it!