Re: what is it worth

Tom Sherman

Guest
mike wrote:

> Tom Sherman Wrote:
>
>>mike wrote:
>>-
>>I do not own a recumbent but think I would like one. I found this
>>one
>>for sell but don't know what to offer. I know the seller, who used
>>own a bike shop so I know the bike is in good repair.
>>
>>The sell sent me the following information.
>>
>>My bike is a Vision USS (under seat stearing) 10 yr old...

>>Be aware that the older Vision SWB bicycles have rather quick
>>handling,
>>and will be rather challenging for most inexperienced recumbent
>>riders.
>>If you do not have recumbent riding experience, plan on doing your
>>first
>>rides in quiet areas away from traffic, until you become comfortable
>>with the way the bike steers and balances. Patience may be required,
>>but
>>do not give up if it seems too difficult - I though a 1998 SWB Vision
>>R-40 was un-rideable the first time I tried it, but was later able to
>>ride the same exact bike without problem.
>>
>>--
>>Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

> Tom with that in mind do you think I should hold out for a long wheel
> base?

Mike,

I would only suggest getting a LWB bike if that is what you really want.

My primary point is that someone who has not ridden a recumbent before
should not expect to just jump on and go. And in the case of a bike such
as the 40 series Vision SWB, one should not let their first impressions
become their final opinion. Based on my first few rides on SWB bikes, I
though that they were just too difficult for me to ever ride one
regularly. Now my preferred bikes (Earth Cycles Sunset and RANS Rocket)
are SWB bikes with rather quick handling.

What I believe would be of benefit to most people that have not ridden
recumbents before would be to rent or borrow a compact long wheel base
bike such as a BikeE or Sun EZ-1 for a few hours of riding. This should
be enough of an acclimation for most people that they would then have
little problem riding MOST [1] other recumbents.

[1] I can think of some bikes, such as the dual ISO 406-mm wheel
Wishbone RT that I used to own, that were difficult for most experienced
recumbent riders on the first ride.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island