Re: What is the real link between heart problems and diabetes?

MU

Guest
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:22:12 GMT, Ed Mathes wrote:

> It's amazing the experts who spout all sorts of things about glycolated this
> and small particles that......and have no real concept of the
> inter-relationship between heart disease and diabetes. So all you
> non-physiologists, stop talking physiology and concentrate on practical
> clinical applications.

Uh, Ed, you don't seem to understand how Usenet diet/diabetes posters
think. Not only do they go around spouting off about physiology and every
other "ology" that you can think of, they are lay research scientists as
well. They fight about this citation saying that and that citation saying
this and when questioned, the most brilliant response I have gotten lately
is, "I can read English". Then, of course, when you point out that they
have little to zero qualifications to qualify studies as accurately
performed, much less interpret them, then one is usually referred to in
terms of sleeping with Mother.

Ignore the fact that they can't tell the difference between a newspaper
article and a citation, just ignore that.

> And it is not just a matter of lowering LDL.
>
> But there is a correlation between LDL and incidence of MI. This is well
> know.
>
> AND
>
> Diabetics don't die from their "sugar".
>
> Fully 80% of Diabetics die from heart attacks....

Don't tell the diabetics on alt.support.diabetes. You'll get an abstract
thrown at you.

> Many diabetics don't even get diagnosed until their first MI.
> Diabetes (we're talking type 2) is considered an "MI equivilant"...meaning,
> just having diabetes puts your risk of MI on the same level as a
> non-diabetic who has already had an MI!
>
> Diabetes causes you to go blind, destroys your kidneys, causes macrovascular
> (that's "large vessel") disease, neuropathy, and screws up your lipid
> metabolism.
>
> "Treatment" is multifactorial. Since heart attacks kill 80% of diabetics,
> it makes sense to address their cardiovascular risk factors first.....weight
> loss, control hypertension, lower LDL (I refer all to CARDS and HPS), etc.

Enter the miracle of the 2PDiet. There, I said it.

> Sugar control, while important, takes 2nd place in the early stges of
> treatment.
>
> Now, before one of you goes all out half-cocked, we do take action to bring
> sugar under control concomittently.
> BUT, most people have difficulty handling too much information...so you see
> them often and take little steps at each visit.
>
> It doesn't matter if you have diabetes and your HgbA1c is 4.5.... if you
> have an LDL of 160 or 140 or even 100....your risk is still higher than a
> non-diabetic.
>
> And don't forget triglycerides.
>
> The landmark Heart Protection Study demonstrated significant risk reduction
> when a diabetic takes a statin (specifically Zocor), regardless of LDL
> level, regardless of HgbA1c. An LDL reduction from 90 to <70 still
> demonstrated an 8% risk reduction...fully 30 points below current NCEP
> guidelines. (remember the "70" is still just a "recommendation").
>
> Ed

I fear for you.

MU wrote:
>Then, of course, when you point out that they
> have little to zero qualifications to qualify studies as accurately
> performed, much less interpret them, then one is usually referred to in
> terms of sleeping with Mother.

Going to qualifications is simply a debating tactic
when you can't deal with issues of fact directly.
It's used by people of little substance who pretend
to be more than they really are and who deperately
don't want to be found out.

In article <[email protected]>,
MU <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:22:12 GMT, Ed Mathes wrote:
>
> > It's amazing the experts who spout all sorts of things about glycolated this
> > and small particles that......and have no real concept of the
> > inter-relationship between heart disease and diabetes. So all you
> > non-physiologists, stop talking physiology and concentrate on practical
> > clinical applications.

> Uh, Ed, you don't seem to understand how Usenet diet/diabetes posters
> think. Not only do they go around spouting off about physiology and every
> other "ology" that you can think of, they are lay research scientists as
> well. They fight about this citation saying that and that citation saying
> this and when questioned, the most brilliant response I have gotten lately
> is, "I can read English". Then, of course, when you point out that they
> have little to zero qualifications to qualify studies as accurately
> performed, much less interpret them, then one is usually referred to in
> terms of sleeping with Mother.

I was the one who said I could read English and that qualified me to
understand the results of a study. I, however, was not looking for a study
in physiology, physics, or any other science. I was only looking for a
survey that would show what percentage of dieters who maintain their weight
loss exercise regularly. Or, at least report that they exercise regularly.
Since you said most of them don't, I assumed you got that statistic from
somewhere other than your imagination, and I wanted to know where you got
it from. I don't see why I would need a medical background to understand
what "most" means, just as nobody needs a medical background to understand
the other oft repeated statistic that most dieters regain the weight they
lost. For anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off, it's helpful to
know how the sucessful ones do it. I, like many others here, have long
thought that eating less and exercising more was the way to lose weight and
the way to keep it off. When you said that most sucessful maintainers
don't exercise, it's only natural that it piqued my curiosity.

--
Michelle Levin
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:58:17 -0500, MU <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:22:12 GMT, Ed Mathes wrote:
>
>> It's amazing the experts who spout all sorts of things about glycolated
>> this
>> and small particles that......and have no real concept of the
>> inter-relationship between heart disease and diabetes. So all you
>> non-physiologists, stop talking physiology and concentrate on practical
>> clinical applications.

> Uh, Ed, you don't seem to understand how Usenet diet/diabetes posters
> think. Not only do they go around spouting off about physiology and every
> other "ology" that you can think of, they are lay research scientists as
> well. They fight about this citation saying that and that citation saying
> this and when questioned, the most brilliant response I have gotten
> lately
> is, "I can read English". Then, of course, when you point out that they
> have little to zero qualifications to qualify studies as accurately
> performed, much less interpret them, then one is usually referred to in
> terms of sleeping with Mother.
>
> Ignore the fact that they can't tell the difference between a newspaper
> article and a citation, just ignore that.
>
>> And it is not just a matter of lowering LDL.
>>
>> But there is a correlation between LDL and incidence of MI. This is
>> well
>> know.
>>
>> AND
>>
>> Diabetics don't die from their "sugar".
>>
>> Fully 80% of Diabetics die from heart attacks....

> Don't tell the diabetics on alt.support.diabetes. You'll get an abstract
> thrown at you.
>
>> Many diabetics don't even get diagnosed until their first MI.
>> Diabetes (we're talking type 2) is considered an "MI
>> equivilant"...meaning,
>> just having diabetes puts your risk of MI on the same level as a
>> non-diabetic who has already had an MI!
>>
>> Diabetes causes you to go blind, destroys your kidneys, causes
>> macrovascular
>> (that's "large vessel") disease, neuropathy, and screws up your lipid
>> metabolism.
>>
>> "Treatment" is multifactorial. Since heart attacks kill 80% of
>> diabetics,
>> it makes sense to address their cardiovascular risk factors
>> first.....weight
>> loss, control hypertension, lower LDL (I refer all to CARDS and HPS),
>> etc.

> Enter the miracle of the 2PDiet. There, I said it.
>
>> Sugar control, while important, takes 2nd place in the early stges of
>> treatment.

Ah, doesn't lack of sugar control cause most of the factors involved with
heart disease?

>> Now, before one of you goes all out half-cocked, we do take action to
>> bring
>> sugar under control concomittently.
>> BUT, most people have difficulty handling too much information...so you
>> see
>> them often and take little steps at each visit.
>>
>> It doesn't matter if you have diabetes and your HgbA1c is 4.5.... if you
>> have an LDL of 160 or 140 or even 100....your risk is still higher than
>> non-diabetic.
>>
>> And don't forget triglycerides.
>>
>> The landmark Heart Protection Study demonstrated significant risk
>> reduction
>> when a diabetic takes a statin (specifically Zocor), regardless of LDL
>> level, regardless of HgbA1c. An LDL reduction from 90 to <70 still
>> demonstrated an 8% risk reduction...fully 30 points below current NCEP
>> guidelines. (remember the "70" is still just a "recommendation").
>>
>> Ed

> I fear for you.

I fear for us, as apparently we'll all be on statins a few years from now.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:16:01 -0800, Kevin Hill wrote:

> Going to qualifications is simply a debating tactic
> when you can't deal with issues of fact directly.
> It's used by people of little substance who pretend
> to be more than they really are and who deperately
> don't want to be found out.

I see. Qualifications make no difference to you. Fine. Drop your drawers.
I'm a urologist....today.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:16:38 GMT, Luna wrote:

> I was the one who said I could read English and that qualified me to
> understand the results of a study. I, however, was not looking for a study
> in physiology, physics, or any other science. I was only looking for a
> survey that would show what percentage of dieters who maintain their weight
> loss exercise regularly. Or, at least report that they exercise regularly.

I wasn't quoting you; another poster, another ng.

> For anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off, it's helpful to
> know how the sucessful ones do it. I, like many others here, have long
> thought that eating less and exercising more was the way to lose weight and
> the way to keep it off. When you said that most sucessful maintainers
> don't exercise, it's only natural that it piqued my curiosity.

The most efficient way is to do both. Look around you. How many peeps do
you see exercising on a regular basis? Look at the failed health club
scene. Look out on the streets. Look at all the machines up for sale in the
AJC. It's right there in front of you nose.

As Chung and I have said hundreds of times "Exercise is preferential but
hardly required for weight loss/maintenance."

Now, if you will excuse me, I have my 45 minute treadmill and 30 minute
lifting program to do.

MU wrote:
> I see. Qualifications make no difference to you. Fine.

You don't see. I never said they make no difference.
Nor do they make all the difference. See the difference?

>Drop your drawers. I'm a urologist....today.

Very classy.

Luna wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> MU <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 04:22:12 GMT, Ed Mathes wrote:
> >
> > > It's amazing the experts who spout all sorts of things about glycolated this
> > > and small particles that......and have no real concept of the
> > > inter-relationship between heart disease and diabetes. So all you
> > > non-physiologists, stop talking physiology and concentrate on practical
> > > clinical applications.

> > Uh, Ed, you don't seem to understand how Usenet diet/diabetes posters
> > think. Not only do they go around spouting off about physiology and every
> > other "ology" that you can think of, they are lay research scientists as
> > well. They fight about this citation saying that and that citation saying
> > this and when questioned, the most brilliant response I have gotten lately
> > is, "I can read English". Then, of course, when you point out that they
> > have little to zero qualifications to qualify studies as accurately
> > performed, much less interpret them, then one is usually referred to in
> > terms of sleeping with Mother.
> >

> I was the one who said I could read English and that qualified me to
> understand the results of a study. I, however, was not looking for a study
> in physiology, physics, or any other science. I was only looking for a
> survey that would show what percentage of dieters who maintain their weight
> loss exercise regularly. Or, at least report that they exercise regularly.
> Since you said most of them don't, I assumed you got that statistic from
> somewhere other than your imagination, and I wanted to know where you got
> it from. I don't see why I would need a medical background to understand
> what "most" means, just as nobody needs a medical background to understand
> the other oft repeated statistic that most dieters regain the weight they
> lost. For anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off, it's helpful to
> know how the sucessful ones do it. I, like many others here, have long
> thought that eating less and exercising more was the way to lose weight and
> the way to keep it off. When you said that most sucessful maintainers
> don't exercise, it's only natural that it piqued my curiosity.

The most successful maintainers are the ones who remain lean until the
day they physically die.

These folks live well into their 100+ years without using strenuous
exercise to maintain their weight.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R20632B48

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:41:25 -0800, Kevin Hill wrote:

> MU wrote:
>> I see. Qualifications make no difference to you. Fine.

> You don't see. I never said they make no difference.
> Nor do they make all the difference. See the difference?

I see this.

"Going to qualifications is simply a debating tactic" = qualifications are
meaningless when it comes to discerning scientific research.

Trying to flip what you said to save your butt is simply a debating tactic.

MU wrote:
> "Going to qualifications is simply a debating tactic" = qualifications are
> meaningless when it comes to discerning scientific research.

Inserting the equals operator sure gives it the kiss of truth.
But as i don't know if you have a PHD in math, i don't know if you
have the qualifications to make such assertions.

> Trying to flip what you said to save your butt is simply a debating tactic.

You talking about my butt makes me nervous.

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:33:49 -0800, Kevin Hill wrote:

>> Trying to flip what you said to save your butt is simply a debating tactic.

> You talking about my butt makes me nervous.

Why? This is simply another of your debating tactics.