Re: What kind of mountain bike should I buy?

I spend that much in two years in maitenance and I do my own work. The
point is for three hundred dollars you aren't going to get much of a
bike. If you get serious about mountain biking off road you will burn
that bike up in a year or less. If you ride it mostly on the street
you will get more life out of it.

So, you won't find much difference in bikes at that price range
(270-300 dollars). Your best strategy is to buy the best frame you an
get at the expense of cheaper componetry. That way you can gradually
upgrade the bike as parts wear out.

I haven't priced that end of the market in awhile, but the
recommendation used to be to buy the best frame in the 800 dollar
range and stick to hardtails because they are better frames for less
money than full suspension frames.

Just the same a case can be made for the cheap bike. Buy cheap try
out mountain bike riding and street riding. See how you actually wind
up using it then in a year of two, maybe less, go get a bike that fits
your type of use. Or like 75% if the folks out there, discover you
weren't as interested as you thought and store the bike in your garage
and take up kayaking or something.

basilkies writes:

>I spend that much in two years in maitenance and I do my own work.

What do you charge yourself per hour? Or are you just clumsy?

>The
>point is for three hundred dollars you aren't going to get much of a
>bike.

Thanks - mine cost about that, and I've been riding it for 3 years with no
major breakages. Apart form some fashion statements, it is essentially the
same bike as new (changed bars, pedals, seat and tyres)

Cheap bikes are not as bad as they are sometimes painted, and if 300 is all he
has, then that's what he should spend.

Just look around for the best bike at that $$

Steve