Re: what metal for cleats?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Ray, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    In article <TZd%[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > My husband was surprised the other day that his shimano bike shoes didn't
    > set off the metal detector at the airport. So what metal do they use?

    Was this the latest Virgin flight where each passenger has a set of
    pedals to provide additional power to the engines for takeoff? :p

    Just curious as to why one would wear (SPD I assume) shoes onto a plane
    :)

    As for metal I would have thought heat treated steel was the go...

    Cheers Ray

    Tags:

  2. Ray wrote:

    >In article <TZd%[email protected]>,
    >[email protected] says...
    >

    >>My husband was surprised the other day that his shimano bike shoes didn't
    >>set off the metal detector at the airport. So what metal do they use?
    >>

    >Was this the latest Virgin flight where each passenger has a set of
    >pedals to provide additional power to the engines for takeoff? :p
    >
    >Just curious as to why one would wear (SPD I assume) shoes onto a plane
    >:)
    >
    >As for metal I would have thought heat treated steel was the go...
    >
    >Cheers Ray

    I wore mine to save weight and the extra charges that come with it. Wear
    you're heavy shoes and pack your thongs. Also wear 6 layers of clothing
    for the same reason. I took my U-Lock with my carry on for the same
    reason but the security guards weren't too impressed. It got to see the
    cockpit, sadly, I didn't.
    My SPD-M cleats didn't set off any metal detectors either. Maybe they
    don't measure at ground level. Or maybe they're too well shielded by
    your foot and the ground to pick up.
    But thats just hypothesis.

    --
    Cheers
    Damian Harvey

    This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote,
    plug for own business in caps and large, bad ASCII art.