Re: What Would You Do With A Bicycle Thief??

Tom Keats

"Marc Wigle" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Prisoner at War" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hey, Y'All:

> You're from Brooklyn... right?

It sounded a little put-on, South Carolina/Andy Griffith/Goober
to me.

>> I don't know why, but I'd wanted to pay my restaurant bill right away,
>> lest it looks like I'm not going to do it (even though, duh, like I
>> said, it's an old favorite and they know me there), so I didn't give
>> chase. Later on, I'd caught up with the chink-chong-man-boy ('cause
>> he's so short and has a boyish face under the U.S. Army field cap!)
>> and he just goes "solly, boss, okay," smiling that embarrassed, but
>> slightly greasy-feeling Chinese smile (I'm Chinese so I know about
>> these things), the kind that says, haha, you got me, nice game....
>>

> You're Chinese? Really? You just sound like a dork.

I'm a little bit partly Chinese myself. Not enough to
show very much, but the DNA is there. Culturally I'm
just a Vancouver East Ender.

>> So what would you do if you caught a bike thief?

This actually is an interesting question, but I'd
expand it to: "What would be an appropriate punishment &
rehab for a bike thief?"

Bearing in mind, some thieves steal the bike in order
to having something to ride, some to sell the whole
bike for crack money, and some for the metal (to sell
for crack money.) So in some cases the question becomes:
"What do you do with a desperate crackhead?" And in
some cases the question becomes: "Whaddaya do about a
poor bugger who needs a bike?"

Being a victim of bike theft is horrible, and can leave
one with all sorts of bitter feelings and revenge fantasies
about hanging bike thieves by their thumbs from telephone poles,
with "Bike Theef" signs hung around their necks. But that's
way too overboard.

I think a lot of bike thieves could benefit from being
sent to work camp or Outward Bound for a while, out in
the wilderness where there are no bikes to steal, and
no crack. Maybe a little mj or some really good,
unadulterated hash, just to tide them over. Or put
them to work building a boat.

I opine a lot of criminal behaviour stems from crooks
never having had the opportunity to enjoy the pleasurable
aspects of creativity, so they have an ignorance of appreciation
for creativity. Doing creative & constructive work where
tangible results of which one can be proud are obtained, is a
great educator. Kinda like Bridge on the River Kwai.

To a bike thief, a bike is a mere chattle. To the
bike owner, however, the bike is so much more.
Bike thieves need to learn the true extents & natures
of their offenses. Even if has to be pounded into 'em
through their thick skulls. In a humanity-loving manner,
of course.

In the long run, I guess as long as there are bikes,
there'll be people to steal 'em. Life goes on. Oh, well.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:01:33 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In the long run, I guess as long as there are bikes,
>there'll be people to steal 'em. Life goes on. Oh, well.

Blacks will steal them. Jews will try to negotiate a deal.

On Aug 26, 10:15 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> Blacks will steal them. Jews will try to negotiate a deal.

LOL!!

In my case, it was a short Chinese FOB fellow...all my preparation for
the moment of confronting a bike thief just went out the door with my
utter shock that a little illegal immigrant-looking dwarf like him
would have the audacity to take a bike....

I had figured on bashing some city-slicker spigger -- maybe even
having to deal with some kike lawyer -- but not a lil' harmless-
looking gook, the kind that waves all friendly and wears
glasses...what was funny was that I had no desire to bash his face in,
even though "intellectually" I had long approved of such a response!
Weird....

On Aug 26, 5:01 pm, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:

> It sounded a little put-on, South Carolina/Andy Griffith/Goober
> to me.

I don't know where I got it from...just seems like the thing to say.

> I'm a little bit partly Chinese myself. Not enough to
> show very much, but the DNA is there. Culturally I'm
> just a Vancouver East Ender.

Culturally I'm just an old-fashioned eye-for-an-eye kind of guy.

> This actually is an interesting question, but I'd
> expand it to: "What would be an appropriate punishment &
> rehab for a bike thief?"

Rehab would be a few weeks in intensive care at the hospital.
Appropriate punishment would be anything inducing such a stay.

> Bearing in mind, some thieves steal the bike in order
> to having something to ride, some to sell the whole
> bike for crack money, and some for the metal (to sell
> for crack money.) So in some cases the question becomes:
> "What do you do with a desperate crackhead?" And in
> some cases the question becomes: "Whaddaya do about a
> poor bugger who needs a bike?"

What are you, a lawyer??

Another question would be what to do about kids...I once had some kids
hanging out by my unlocked bike, and after about fifteen minutes one
of them decides to touch it.

> Being a victim of bike theft is horrible, and can leave
> one with all sorts of bitter feelings and revenge fantasies
> about hanging bike thieves by their thumbs from telephone poles,
> with "Bike Theef" signs hung around their necks. But that's
> way too overboard.

Is it? I think way overboard is **** where cops laugh at you for
having a stolen bike. I once caught another bike thief, and called
the cops, who showed up only to laugh it off and leave. Now I know
that I can only count on myself to exact vengeance -- and I mustn't be
caught! I have a mind to start carrying firecrackers around to toss
into cars that try to throw me off my bike or something...once this
kid kept shouting out his window every time I passed by their car,
which would be stopped by the traffic light. I wish I had a
firecracker to toss in and blow up the kid's face or something (one
for the adult driver, too, actually, who wasn't doing anything to stop
the brat).

I seem to be a great bike rider and no kids' pranks have unsettled me
off my saddle yet, but I'm ****** off at the sheer audacity of these
brats. I don't think it's overboard for them to be maimed for life in
order to teach them -- and, more importantly, others -- a lesson.
Frankly, they should chop off the hands of graffiti sleazebags....

> I think a lot of bike thieves could benefit from being
> sent to work camp or Outward Bound for a while, out in
> the wilderness where there are no bikes to steal, and
> no crack. Maybe a little mj or some really good,
> unadulterated hash, just to tide them over. Or put
> them to work building a boat.

Put them to work digging limestone or mining coal, I say.

> I opine a lot of criminal behaviour stems from crooks
> never having had the opportunity to enjoy the pleasurable
> aspects of creativity, so they have an ignorance of appreciation
> for creativity. Doing creative & constructive work where
> tangible results of which one can be proud are obtained, is a
> great educator. Kinda like Bridge on the River Kwai.

Yes, true...but punishment should be vindictive, too. Maybe not for
first-time offenders, but I think a lot of these career criminals
deserve "hard" time, not simply arts and crafts.

> To a bike thief, a bike is a mere chattle. To the
> bike owner, however, the bike is so much more.
> Bike thieves need to learn the true extents & natures
> of their offenses. Even if has to be pounded into 'em
> through their thick skulls. In a humanity-loving manner,
> of course.

I don't know what's "humanity-loving"...I just know that I'm sick of
living in a society where things don't make sense. The great thing
about blood and violence is that it is perfectly logical.

> In the long run, I guess as long as there are bikes,
> there'll be people to steal 'em. Life goes on. Oh, well.

The trick is how to exact physical vengeance without consequences...if
every single bicyclist goes on a rampage, you can be sure that
bicyclists would have more "respect" (namely, fear)....