Re: What's the best chain cleaner & degreaser?

Steven M. Scharf

Guest
"Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Jonesy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > .
> > > Back to topic: I also have had poor luck with citrus-based solvents.
> > > They are good for degreasing clothes, or removing glue residue, but
> > > not for chain cleaning. I use good ol' paint thinner in a soda
> > > bottle. Put in the chain. Shake. Pull the chain out and wipe. Let
> > > dirt settle out. Pour off clear (no dirt particles) supernatant to a
> > > new bottle, remove dirt from old bottle. Put chain in new bottle.
> > > Shake. Rinse, lather, repeat until no dirt comes out of chain.

> > This is about the same as using a chain cleaning device, again, the key

is
> > "rinse, lather, repeat."

> Less expense, and less fiddling with the bike as a whole.
>
> > > Dry thoroughly, such that NO solvent is left in the chain.

> > Which is why you shouldn't use water based solvents. It's very difficult

> > dry it. You have water mixed with old lubricant inside the links. I

guess
> > that a torch would accellerate the drying process. OTOH, a little

petroleum
> > based solvent left inside is not a problem.

> My drying times are usually on the order of days to a week - I have
> more than one chain. :)

Yeah, I didn't think of that. If you let the chain dry for several days
after using a water based solvent then that gets around most of the
problems, though a more volatile solvent eliminates the need for long dry
times. I think that many people that use Simple Green or other water based
solvent may not let the chain dry for several days, as you do.

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

> Yeah, I didn't think of that. If you let the chain dry for several days
> after using a water based solvent then that gets around most of the
> problems, though a more volatile solvent eliminates the need for long dry
> times. I think that many people that use Simple Green or other water based
> solvent may not let the chain dry for several days, as you do.

To get the chain dry quickly, after the chain goes through the clean and
rinse cycle spool the chain up tight into itself. The spooled chain is
then laid flat onto a flat surface. Next use a hair dryer. Because all
the links in the chain are close together in a tight spiral shape this
spreads the heat throughout the chain very quickly. To be really
thorough, flip the chain over and blow dry the other side. With the hair
dryer set on high the drying process takes about five minutes.

Kenny Lee