Re: Which bike: Edinburgh Bicycle Trailfinder v Courier?

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, David Marsh
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote in uk.rec.cycling
> about: Re: Which bike: Edinburgh Bicycle Trailfinder v Courier?
>
>> in message <[email protected]>, David Marsh
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>> My niece has a last years model Edinburgh Coast, which I suspect is
>> fairly similar to the Trailfinder. It's a nice little bike, suits her
>> well, she rode it the length of the Great Glen last summer and uses
>> it for generally getting about at college.

> Thanks for the report. Glad to know that it's better than a drainpipe
> special! Out of curiosity, did she do the Great Glen onroad or on the
> trail (something I must get around to doing one of these days!)?

Mix. She hadn't ridden a bike for about five years so I thought I'd send
her off on a reasonable trip to get used to it!

>> You've missed the best bike in the bunch, and the one I'd strongly
>> advise you to look at and test ride: the Revolution Courier Race. The
>> 700c wheels and narrower tyres makes for a bike that rolls
>> significantly faster on tarmac with relatively little downside on
>> trails.

> Even compared to the Trailfinder's semi-slick tyres?
> (I've previous equipped my MTB with semi-slicks in order to try to get
> the best compromise between both worlds anyway, you'd never catch me
> riding mega-knobblies onroad!)
>
> I'm not sure I understand what difference the slightly larger wheels
> make, or is it just that you travel that little bit further for each
> turn of the pedals?

It's not really the size of the wheels - it may help a little, but it
can as you say only be a little. It's the width of the tyres - they're
significantly narrower, which reduces both air resistance and rolling
resistance.

It's also worth pointing out that the Couriers are a useful bit lighter
than the Trailfinder, a point which matters around Edinburgh.

;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...

Simon Brooke wrote:

> It's not really the size of the wheels - it may help a little, but it
> can as you say only be a little. It's the width of the tyres - they're
> significantly narrower, which reduces both air resistance and rolling
> resistance.

Up to A point, Lord Copper...

I run 38mm Marathons on 16, 20 and 26" wheels, and when you've pumped
them up to 100 psi (which they're quite happy to take) then they're not
exactly dogs in the rolling resistance stakes. Certainly no real
problem around town, and a damn site better at a quick track than 25mm
racing tyres.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> I run 38mm Marathons on 16, 20 and 26" wheels, and when you've pumped them
> up to 100 psi (which they're quite happy to take) then they're not exactly
> dogs in the rolling resistance stakes. Certainly no real problem around
> town, and a damn site better at a quick track than 25mm racing tyres.

Slightly confused here - when I read 'a quick track', I think of something
like Manchester Velodrome, where stupidly skinny racing tyres are normal. Do
you mean something else?

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:

> Slightly confused here - when I read 'a quick track', I think of something
> like Manchester Velodrome, where stupidly skinny racing tyres are normal. Do
> you mean something else?

Something completely different, but its my proof reading that's at
fault and not your understanding. Should have been more like
"quick hack on a rough track".

Pete.