Re: Who on this Forum is going to UNICON?

Arnold family

Guest
Scott and I are going. I'll be doing the 10K and the basic races, plus
obstacle course. Scott will do all the track and field events. We haven't
figured out what unicycles we are taking. We're in Springfield, Oregon,
U.S.A., and thoroughly enjoyed Unicon 11, which was wonderfully close.
Scott has been riding 20+ years, and I've been riding 7. I ride
my 24" 7 to 8 miles three times a week for exercise. He's Level 5 or 6,
and I'm Level 1. All five of our kids ride.
Scott and I decided three or four years ago that we would go to
Unicon XII, wherever it was, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. So
we've been planning on going for quite a while, although it wasn't until
Unicon 11 that we found out where we were going.

Jody

At 09:00 AM 5/24/04 -0500, you wrote:

>Just curious- I've been on this forum for two years now, but the only
>overseas rider I've met is Nathan Hoover.
>
>So, just for interest- who from this forum is going to UNICON?
>For added interest perhaps also include details of what events you're
>focussing on, what country you're from, how long you've been riding
>etc.
>
>I'll start:
>Gizmoduck- Ken Looi
>Country: New Zealand, Team NZUNI
>Events: 10km unlimited, racing, MUNi, and other events just for fun.
>Rider since: Dec 2000
>
>Also how are people bringing their unicycles? I'll probably bring my
>Coker, 29'er and a spare 24' wheel (to fit in my 29'er frame). I'll
>just bring one pair of pedals and seat between them to save weight for
>travelling. Also only three pairs of cranks- 110, 125, 150 and maybe
>170's
>

>--
>GizmoDuck - Adventure unicyclist
>
>o-kO

Unicon is one of those words you can type into Google or similar. You'll
get tons of hits if you do that. Then you'll find it's the International
University Consortium for Executive Education. Never knew that. Or
Unicon Research Corporation! Or the Unified Extended Dialect of Icon.
Huh.

Actually I didn't find a unicycling reference until the bottom of the
second page of Google hits! Then you get the one we're talking about.

The word is a breakdown of UNIcycling CONvention. It has specifically
become associated with the bi-annual International Unicycling
Federation's Convention and World Championships. In short, it's the
Olympics for unicycling. www.unicon12.com

The first one of these was held in 1984 in Syracuse, NY. It was called
"International Unicycling Convention." The word UNICON was coined during
preparations for the second one, which was called World UNICON II and
held in Nassau County, Long Island in 1986. The rest:

III: 1987 - Tokyo, Japan
IV: 1988 - Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
V: 1990 - Hull, Quebec
VI: 1992 - Quebec City, Quebec
VII: 1994 - Minneapolis, MN
VIII: 1996 - Guildford, England
IX: 1998 - Bottrop, Germany
X: 2000 - Beijing, China
XI: 2002 - Snoqualmie Valley, WA
XII: 2004 - Tokyo, Japan
XIII: 2006 - ?

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

i'll be there, (here!) but none of you ichirinsha-ers will be able to
recognize me.

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album38/aav

heh! heh! heh!

--
sendhair - Human Fly bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albun00/tiny_eye_ball.gif] am
the [image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albun00/aac.gif] in
the ointment.
sendhair's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1019

for those of you who haven't bothered to brush up on your japanese
before the upcoming unicon, \"ichirinsha\" is japanese for
\"unicycle\".

'ichirinsha' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albun00/aaa)

--

GizmoDuck wrote:
> *looks like I'll be the only NZL rider there.
> *

Because you are the only NZ rider rich enough (or organised enough) to
go there. I'd go if someone sponsored me, but I guess it's a bit late
for that. If I had a couple of thousand dollars (for the airfare) I
would probably spend it on a Coker instead.

Rowan Chivers
Country: New Zealand
Events: Browsing the forums for pictures and stories from Unicon, and
riding fast through town pretending I am racing.
Rider since: 1996

--

[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/waffe/1043691690_0.gif]
::*-'Click Here!'