Re: Why Can't Mike Vandeman EVER Tell the Truth?

On Thu, 11 May 2006 00:54:26 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> No, because a hiker can stop and look at nature. Bikers rarely stop,
>>> since it doesn't give them the necessary THRILL. For a hiker, stopping
>>> and looking is one of the most thrilling parts of the trip.

>> It is merely an assumption that off-road cyclists are after a THRILL. Some
>> are, some aren't. Some hikers are after an extreme experience by testing
>> the survival skills in adverse conditions. It is the SAME thing. And
>> again, you split context. Complete text below...

>Curtiss should come along with me on one of my desultory hikes. It is an
>exercise in meditation only and is full of mostly nothing but pure thought.
>I will occasionally stop to hug a tree, as they are my very best friends in
>all the world, but I suspect Curtiss would be bored by my kind of excursion.
>Nay, like all mountain bikers, he is into nothing but thrills and spills. I
>have never been able to figure out why God does not strike such sacrilegious
>slobs dead with lightening bolts.

Probably to conserve precious resources for better uses, especially
since mountain bikers are ensuring their own extinction by making
themselves impotent. :)

>Mountain bikers are entitled to have their fun, but not on my sacred trails.
>[...]
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Wed, 10 May 2006 13:45:44 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> I never said it is. But you claim that mountain biking is harmless.

>>Wrong again. I claim mountain biking and hiking are similar in impact.

> That's a lie. You can't prove it.

A real quick reference search (-vandeman and -imba) came up with:
Impacts of Experimentally Applied Mountain Biking and Hiking on Vegetation
and Soil of a Deciduous Forest
EDEN THURSTON
RICHARD J. READER
Department of Botany
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1, Canada

ABSTRACT
Many recent trail degradation problems have been attributed to mountain
biking because of its alleged ca-pacity to do more damage than other
activities, particularly hiking. This study compared the effects of
experimentally ap-plied mountain biking and hiking on the understory
vegetation and soil of a deciduous forest. Five different intensities of
bik-ing and hiking (i.e., 0, 25, 75, 200 and 500 passes) were ap-plied to
4-m-long 3 1-m-wide lanes in Boyne Valley Provin-cial Park, Ontario, Canada.
Measurements of plant stem density, species richness, and soil exposure were
made before treatment, two weeks after treatment, and again one year after
treatment. Biking and hiking generally had similar effects on vegetation and
soil. Two weeks after treatment, stem density and species richness were
reduced by up to 100% of pretreatment values. In addition, the amount of
soil exposed increased by up to 54%. One year later, these treatment effects
were no longer detectable. These results indicate that at a similar
intensity of activity, the short-term impacts of mountain biking and hiking
may not differ greatly in the undisturbed area of a deciduous forest
habitat. The immediate impacts of both activities can be severe but rapid
recovery should be expected when the activities are not allowed to continue.
Implications of these results for trail recreation are discussed.

I can prove it as much as you can claim to prove otherwise. Your OPINION of
off-road cycling does not lend any more weight or authority to any claim you
make concerning the effects of cycling over hiking.

> If
>>you are going to stand up and say "ban all bicycles (mountain biking)"
>>then
>>you also have to say say "ban all hiking". If you insist some outdoor
>>areas
>>are suitable for hiking (human entrance) then you also have to maintain
>>some
>>outdoor areas would be suitable for off-road cycling.

> On Thu, 11 May 2006 00:54:26 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>Curtiss should come along with me on one of my desultory hikes. It is an
>>exercise in meditation only and is full of mostly nothing but pure
>>thought.
>>I will occasionally stop to hug a tree, as they are my very best friends
>>in
>>all the world, but I suspect Curtiss would be bored by my kind of
>>excursion.
>>Nay, like all mountain bikers, he is into nothing but thrills and spills.
>>have never been able to figure out why God does not strike such
>>sacrilegious
>>slobs dead with lightening bolts.

> Probably to conserve precious resources for better uses, especially
> since mountain bikers are ensuring their own extinction by making
> themselves impotent. :)

The fact we would have something to lose in the first place if that were
even close to being true probably burns you even further.... :)

news:eek:[email protected]...

>>> No, because a hiker can stop and look at nature. Bikers rarely stop,
>>> since it doesn't give them the necessary THRILL. For a hiker, stopping
>>> and looking is one of the most thrilling parts of the trip.

>>It is merely an assumption that off-road cyclists are after a THRILL. Some
>>are, some aren't. Some hikers are after an extreme experience by testing
>>the
>>survival skills in adverse conditions. It is the SAME thing. And again,
>>you
>>split context. Complete text below...

> It doesn't matter. It's still impossible to experience nature while on
> a bike.

Nothing but an OPINION....
So now it doesn't matter...? Why is that? Because you can not realisticly
defend the statement in the first place and have to fall back on the OPINION
that also doesn't matter?.

>>> Try walking without paying attention the trail. Is that a
>>>
>>> But you don't. Look at any mountain biking video. They go for long
>>> periods without stopping (except when they crash), when they aren't
>>> admiting nature.

>>A mountain bike video by nature of marketing and sales is going to show
>>the
>>extreme, the dangerous and as much non-stop action as possible.

> Who said anyhting about commercial videos? I didn't. You FABRICATED
> that, as usual.

Wow... lets play the word-game again. Fine... give me an example of a
"mountain bike video"...

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Tue, 09 May 2006 04:05:20 GMT, Michael Halliwell
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Mike Vandeman wrote:

>>>And that's a LIE. I have NEVER advocated that. Once you start lying,
>>>you can't get off the train, & keep getting in deeper & deeper. Come
>>>clean.

>>Then how, dear Dr. Vandeman do you propose to "create pure habitat" as
>>your signature so boldly states...

> Simple: by humans deciding not to go there, just as I and many others
> have done on our own property.
>
> If it is presently pure habitat,
>
>>then you are not creating it but merely preserving it...if you intend to
>>create it, then all human activities in that area, including recreation,
>>must cease.

> Of course. What's your point?
>

>>Michael Halliwell

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

The point is, Mike, that you have agreed with my statement...if you are
creating "pure habitat" then you are trying to get all forms of
recreation out of the "habitat" area... or don't you remember calling me
a liar for telling Ed you were out to remove all forms of recreation
(inluding hiking) from the woods to make "pure habitat?"

Sheesh, call me a liar and then agree with what I said....are you sure
you don't need to go to confession, Mike?

Michael Halliwell

In article <MCU8g.152722$7a.95471@pd7tw1no>, [email protected]
says...

> The point is, Mike, that you have agreed with my statement...if you are
> creating "pure habitat" then you are trying to get all forms of
> recreation out of the "habitat" area... or don't you remember calling me
> a liar for telling Ed you were out to remove all forms of recreation
> (inluding hiking) from the woods to make "pure habitat?"

Your error is in thinking that Mr. Vandespam has some grand scheme
for creating "pure habitat" in the *wildnerness*.

Note he said he did it on his own property -- he's a city dweller
with a patch of un-mowed lawn that he fancies as "pure habitat."

He's not lying in this particular case, he's just an inconsistent
hypocrite with delusions of grandeur.

--
[email protected] is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh

Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <MCU8g.152722$7a.95471@pd7tw1no>, [email protected]
> says...
>
>> The point is, Mike, that you have agreed with my statement...if you
>> are creating "pure habitat" then you are trying to get all forms of
>> recreation out of the "habitat" area... or don't you remember calling
>> me a liar for telling Ed you were out to remove all forms of
>> recreation (inluding hiking) from the woods to make "pure habitat?"

> Your error is in thinking that Mr. Vandespam has some grand scheme
> for creating "pure habitat" in the *wildnerness*.
>
> Note he said he did it on his own property -- he's a city dweller
> with a patch of un-mowed lawn that he fancies as "pure habitat."
>
> He's not lying in this particular case, he's just an inconsistent
> hypocrite with delusions of grandeur.

Hey Mike,
I have over a section of land (640 acres) of "pure habitat" in the
"Wet Mountains" on Colorado. You should see it; it is absolutely beautiful,
and unspoiled. The land contains two large streams running thru it, 2 to 5
springs (depending on the time of the year). One of the streams has carved
a beautiful canyon almost a mile long.
The wildlife is hardy and robust. Elk, mule deer, turkey, mountain
loin and every other type critter you can imagine.
I am NOT a mountain biker. I did own one a couple of years back,
but I sold it and bought a Burley trailer for my 'bicycle touring'.
I am a 'roadie' and I ride the road. I ride from my house to work
almost everyday (Wont ride if snow is on the ground), that is a round trip
ride of 30 miles a day.
I am a back packer also, mostly I pack in Rocky Mountain National
Park, where off-road cycling in not allowed.

I am telling you all this to give you a sense of who, and what I
am.

I also think you are SO full of ****.

Chris Foster

On 09 Jun 2006 16:50:49 GMT, Chris Foster
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> In article <MCU8g.152722$7a.95471@pd7tw1no>, [email protected]
>> says...
>>
>>> The point is, Mike, that you have agreed with my statement...if you
>>> are creating "pure habitat" then you are trying to get all forms of
>>> recreation out of the "habitat" area... or don't you remember calling
>>> me a liar for telling Ed you were out to remove all forms of
>>> recreation (inluding hiking) from the woods to make "pure habitat?"

>> Your error is in thinking that Mr. Vandespam has some grand scheme
>> for creating "pure habitat" in the *wildnerness*.
>>
>> Note he said he did it on his own property -- he's a city dweller
>> with a patch of un-mowed lawn that he fancies as "pure habitat."
>>
>> He's not lying in this particular case, he's just an inconsistent
>> hypocrite with delusions of grandeur.
>>

>Hey Mike,
> I have over a section of land (640 acres) of "pure habitat" in the
>"Wet Mountains" on Colorado. You should see it; it is absolutely beautiful,
>and unspoiled. The land contains two large streams running thru it, 2 to 5
>springs (depending on the time of the year). One of the streams has carved
>a beautiful canyon almost a mile long.
> The wildlife is hardy and robust. Elk, mule deer, turkey, mountain
>loin and every other type critter you can imagine.
> I am NOT a mountain biker. I did own one a couple of years back,

Proving that you lack brain cells.

>but I sold it and bought a Burley trailer for my 'bicycle touring'.
> I am a 'roadie' and I ride the road. I ride from my house to work
>almost everyday (Wont ride if snow is on the ground), that is a round trip
>ride of 30 miles a day.
> I am a back packer also, mostly I pack in Rocky Mountain National
>Park, where off-road cycling in not allowed.
>
> I am telling you all this to give you a sense of who, and what I
>am.
>
> I also think you are SO full of ****.
>

> Chris Foster

Since you can't be specific, it's obvious that you don't know what you
are talking about.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 09 Jun 2006 16:50:49 GMT, Chris Foster
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:
>>
>>> In article <MCU8g.152722$7a.95471@pd7tw1no>, [email protected]
>>> says...

>>> Your error is in thinking that Mr. Vandespam has some grand scheme
>>> for creating "pure habitat" in the *wildnerness*.
>>>
>>> Note he said he did it on his own property -- he's a city dweller
>>> with a patch of un-mowed lawn that he fancies as "pure habitat."
>>>
>>> He's not lying in this particular case, he's just an inconsistent
>>> hypocrite with delusions of grandeur.
>>>

>>Hey Mike,
>> I have over a section of land (640 acres) of "pure habitat" in
>> the
>>"Wet Mountains" on Colorado. You should see it; it is absolutely
>>beautiful, and unspoiled. The land contains two large streams running
>>thru it, 2 to 5 springs (depending on the time of the year). One of
>>the streams has carved a beautiful canyon almost a mile long.
>> The wildlife is hardy and robust. Elk, mule deer, turkey,
>> mountain
>>loin and every other type critter you can imagine.
>> I am NOT a mountain biker. I did own one a couple of years
>> back,

> Proving that you lack brain cells.

I am an ASIC designer, I will spell it out for you; Application Specific
Integrated Circuit. One of the jobs I used to have was with a company
that contracted to Cisco, to design their custom chips. There is a very
high probability that the message you sent to insult me, actually
traveled thru one of the chips I designed.

Brains I got.

Compassion for a closed minded fool like your self, I do not have.

>>but I sold it and bought a Burley trailer for my 'bicycle touring'.
>> I am a 'roadie' and I ride the road. I ride from my house to
>> work
>>almost everyday (Wont ride if snow is on the ground), that is a round
>>trip ride of 30 miles a day.
>> I am a back packer also, mostly I pack in Rocky Mountain
>> National
>>Park, where off-road cycling in not allowed.
>>
>> I am telling you all this to give you a sense of who, and what
>>am.
>>
>> I also think you are SO full of ****.
>>

>> Chris Foster

> Since you can't be specific, it's obvious that you don't know what you
> are talking about.

How have you been fighting auto dependence and road construction?

I ride my bicycle everywhere. What do you do ??

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On 12 Jun 2006 15:23:23 GMT, Chris Foster
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On 09 Jun 2006 16:50:49 GMT, Chris Foster
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>>>Hey Mike,
>>> I have over a section of land (640 acres) of "pure habitat" in
>>> the
>>>"Wet Mountains" on Colorado. You should see it; it is absolutely
>>>beautiful, and unspoiled. The land contains two large streams running
>>>thru it, 2 to 5 springs (depending on the time of the year). One of
>>>the streams has carved a beautiful canyon almost a mile long.
>>> The wildlife is hardy and robust. Elk, mule deer, turkey,
>>> mountain
>>>loin and every other type critter you can imagine.
>>> I am NOT a mountain biker. I did own one a couple of years
>>> back,

>> Proving that you lack brain cells.

>I am an ASIC designer, I will spell it out for you; Application Specific
>Integrated Circuit. One of the jobs I used to have was with a company
>that contracted to Cisco, to design their custom chips. There is a very
>high probability that the message you sent to insult me, actually
>traveled thru one of the chips I designed.
>
>Brains I got.

Then there's ponly one other possibility: you don't use them in
situations where your lifestyle is at stake. Kind of like George Bush
claiming to be a Christian, but acting NOTHING like the original
Christ.... After all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even an
ASIC designer, to know that a bike is not going to help wildlife and
people in natural areas. It could hardly be plainer. And yet you CHOSE
to buy a mountain bike! Please explain your brain fade....

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On 09 Jun 2006 16:50:49 GMT, Chris Foster
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Joshua Putnam <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>>>Hey Mike,
>>> I have over a section of land (640 acres) of "pure habitat" in
>>> the
>>>"Wet Mountains" on Colorado. You should see it; it is absolutely
>>>beautiful, and unspoiled. The land contains two large streams running
>>>thru it, 2 to 5 springs (depending on the time of the year). One of
>>>the streams has carved a beautiful canyon almost a mile long.
>>> The wildlife is hardy and robust. Elk, mule deer, turkey,
>>> mountain
>>>loin and every other type critter you can imagine.
>>> I am NOT a mountain biker. I did own one a couple of years
>>> back,

>> Proving that you lack brain cells.

>I am an ASIC designer, I will spell it out for you; Application Specific
>Integrated Circuit. One of the jobs I used to have was with a company
>that contracted to Cisco, to design their custom chips. There is a very
>high probability that the message you sent to insult me, actually
>traveled thru one of the chips I designed.
>
>Brains I got.
>
>Compassion for a closed minded fool like your self, I do not have.
>

>>>but I sold it and bought a Burley trailer for my 'bicycle touring'.
>>> I am a 'roadie' and I ride the road. I ride from my house to
>>> work
>>>almost everyday (Wont ride if snow is on the ground), that is a round
>>>trip ride of 30 miles a day.
>>> I am a back packer also, mostly I pack in Rocky Mountain
>>> National
>>>Park, where off-road cycling in not allowed.
>>>
>>> I am telling you all this to give you a sense of who, and what
>>>am.
>>>
>>> I also think you are SO full of ****.
>>>

>>> Chris Foster

>> Since you can't be specific, it's obvious that you don't know what you
>> are talking about.

>How have you been fighting auto dependence and road construction?

See my web site. It's all there.

>I ride my bicycle everywhere. What do you do ??

So do I, except when I walk or take public transit.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

in

running

>>> Proving that you lack brain cells.

>>I am an ASIC designer, I will spell it out for you; Application

Specific
>>Integrated Circuit. One of the jobs I used to have was with a company
>>that contracted to Cisco, to design their custom chips. There is a

very
>>high probability that the message you sent to insult me, actually
>>traveled thru one of the chips I designed.
>>
>>Brains I got.

> Then there's ponly one other possibility: you don't use them in

WTF is a 'ponly' ???

> situations where your lifestyle is at stake. Kind of like George Bush
> claiming to be a Christian, but acting NOTHING like the original
> Christ.... After all, it doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even an
> ASIC designer, to know that a bike is not going to help wildlife and
> people in natural areas. It could hardly be plainer. And yet you CHOSE
> to buy a mountain bike! Please explain your brain fade....
>
>>Compassion for a closed minded fool like your self, I do not have.

Mike,
I bought the mountain bike, because we have DESIGNATED mountain bike
trails here in Colorado. I enjoyed it immensely. I got a good physical
workout and I got outside and enjoyed nature. I moved away from that
part of Colorado back up here to Boulder. I sold the bike because I no
longer road it.

Chris Foster wrote:

>>> Brains I got.

>> Then there's ponly one other possibility: you don't use them in

> WTF is a 'ponly' ???

With that question you sort of make his point.