Re: Why Can't Mike Vandeman EVER Tell the Truth?

Edward Dolan

Guest
"S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

[...]
>> Did you say somehting?
>> ===

> Another beautifully written rebuttal showcasing the debating skills and
> subject knowledge of Michael J. Vandeman, PhD.

So far I score Vandeman 100 and Curtiss 0.

I simply detest those who would turn all of nature into some kind of
playground for cyclists. I hate all off-road vehicles of any kind.

Curtiss needs to go for a week-long hike in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass
Wilderness (near Aspen) to get an idea of why we do not want bikes anywhere
near a pristine natural area. It is totally wrongheaded to equate hikers
with bikers. They are two separate activities entirely and they are not
compatible with one another. You can ride your damn bike around Aspen and
down the damn ski slopes, but you have no business on a bike out on any
footpath (hiking trail).

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> Did you say somehting?
>>> ===

>> Another beautifully written rebuttal showcasing the debating skills and
>> subject knowledge of Michael J. Vandeman, PhD.

> So far I score Vandeman 100 and Curtiss 0.
>
> I simply detest those who would turn all of nature into some kind of
> playground for cyclists. I hate all off-road vehicles of any kind.

Who ever said anything about "all of nature"? I simply love people who claim
superior intelligence then use supposition and emotion in their statements.

> Curtiss needs to go for a week-long hike in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass
> Wilderness (near Aspen) to get an idea of why we do not want bikes
> anywhere near a pristine natural area. It is totally wrongheaded to equate
> hikers with bikers. They are two separate activities entirely and they are
> not compatible with one another. You can ride your damn bike around Aspen
> and down the damn ski slopes, but you have no business on a bike out on
> any footpath (hiking trail).

Actually, despite yours or Vandeman's insistance of opinion, hiking and
off-road cycling have similar impacts. Both have capacity to be done
carefully and carelessly. Both also have capacity to be utilized at times in
the same areas or be seperated in others. Nobody has argued the existence of
areas where human access is limited and bikes may not be permitted. What has
been the case in contention with Vandeman is his insistence of the removal
of all bikes from all areas. Multi-use recreational designations be damned.
What is totally "wrongheaded" is to use emotion and opinion as the only
measure of comparison for cycling and hiking and the reasons or benefits the
two activities offer the participants. You say ride around Aspen...
Vandeman has stated that scenario is unacceptable. His opinion has been no
bikes off pavement under any circumstance. So which is it, Mr. "the Great"?
Is it Vandeman's "no bikes off pavement anywhere" or is it our "multi-use
recreation areas can share resources with cyclists". Are you going for
opinion or reason?

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> Another beautifully written rebuttal showcasing the debating skills and
>>> subject knowledge of Michael J. Vandeman, PhD.

>> So far I score Vandeman 100 and Curtiss 0.
>>
>> I simply detest those who would turn all of nature into some kind of
>> playground for cyclists. I hate all off-road vehicles of any kind.

> Who ever said anything about "all of nature"? I simply love people who
> claim superior intelligence then use supposition and emotion in their
> statements.

You are defending bikes on footpaths. This is not only wrongheaded, it is
immoral! That is why I get emotional.

>> Curtiss needs to go for a week-long hike in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass
>> Wilderness (near Aspen) to get an idea of why we do not want bikes
>> anywhere near a pristine natural area. It is totally wrongheaded to
>> equate hikers with bikers. They are two separate activities entirely and
>> they are not compatible with one another. You can ride your damn bike
>> around Aspen and down the damn ski slopes, but you have no business on a
>> bike out on any footpath (hiking trail).

> Actually, despite yours or Vandeman's insistance of opinion, hiking and
> off-road cycling have similar impacts. Both have capacity to be done
> carefully and carelessly. Both also have capacity to be utilized at times
> in the same areas or be seperated in others. Nobody has argued the
> existence of areas where human access is limited and bikes may not be
> permitted. What has been the case in contention with Vandeman is his
> insistence of the removal of all bikes from all areas. Multi-use
> recreational designations be damned. What is totally "wrongheaded" is to
> use emotion and opinion as the only measure of comparison for cycling and
> hiking and the reasons or benefits the two activities offer the
> participants. You say ride around Aspen... Vandeman has stated that
> scenario is unacceptable. His opinion has been no bikes off pavement under
> any circumstance. So which is it, Mr. "the Great"?

You can ride your bike around the TOWN of Aspen and down the ski slopes
there which I believe is what they are mainly used for in the summer season.
I do not want you riding your bike on the back country footpaths.

> Is it Vandeman's "no bikes off pavement anywhere" or is it our "multi-use
> recreation areas can share resources with cyclists". Are you going for
> opinion or reason?

I tend to agree with Vandeman more than I do with you, that is for sure!
However, I am in favor of specially constructed bike trails in natural
areas. However, Wilderness Areas are strictly for walkers. I NEVER want to
see anyone on a bike in a Wilderness Area. Please review your Thoreau if you
would like to know where I am coming from.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> So far I score Vandeman 100 and Curtiss 0.
>>>
>>> I simply detest those who would turn all of nature into some kind of
>>> playground for cyclists. I hate all off-road vehicles of any kind.

>> Who ever said anything about "all of nature"? I simply love people who
>> claim superior intelligence then use supposition and emotion in their
>> statements.

> You are defending bikes on footpaths. This is not only wrongheaded, it is
> immoral! That is why I get emotional.

No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest lands
that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you wish.
Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to portray
misinformation as truth.

>>> Curtiss needs to go for a week-long hike in the Maroon Bells-Snowmass
>>> Wilderness (near Aspen) to get an idea of why we do not want bikes
>>> anywhere near a pristine natural area. It is totally wrongheaded to
>>> equate hikers with bikers. They are two separate activities entirely and
>>> they are not compatible with one another. You can ride your damn bike
>>> around Aspen and down the damn ski slopes, but you have no business on a
>>> bike out on any footpath (hiking trail).

>> Actually, despite yours or Vandeman's insistance of opinion, hiking and
>> off-road cycling have similar impacts. Both have capacity to be done
>> carefully and carelessly. Both also have capacity to be utilized at times
>> in the same areas or be seperated in others. Nobody has argued the
>> existence of areas where human access is limited and bikes may not be
>> permitted. What has been the case in contention with Vandeman is his
>> insistence of the removal of all bikes from all areas. Multi-use
>> recreational designations be damned. What is totally "wrongheaded" is to
>> use emotion and opinion as the only measure of comparison for cycling and
>> hiking and the reasons or benefits the two activities offer the
>> participants. You say ride around Aspen... Vandeman has stated that
>> scenario is unacceptable. His opinion has been no bikes off pavement
>> under any circumstance. So which is it, Mr. "the Great"?

> You can ride your bike around the TOWN of Aspen and down the ski slopes
> there which I believe is what they are mainly used for in the summer
> season. I do not want you riding your bike on the back country footpaths.

If those "back country footpaths" are part of designated multi-use areas or
recreation areas, then they are "singletrack" and open for cycling unless
the local land managers designate otherwise. If these areas are already
closed to cycling, what are you *****ing about? If they allow cycling...
you can try to get them closed. However, take a lesson from Vandeman... You
better have real information and real documented evidence because lies,
opinion and biased science are meaningless. Vandeman has been presenting his
opinion as fact for a dozen years and has earned nothing but ridicule. If
you want to blame someone for any perceived degradation of trails from
cyclists, blame Vandeman. It is his manipulation of information that has
contributed to the focus of real and actual information on the part of
cyclists that has either kept trails open or, in some cases, expanded
access.

>> Is it Vandeman's "no bikes off pavement anywhere" or is it our "multi-use
>> recreation areas can share resources with cyclists". Are you going for
>> opinion or reason?

> I tend to agree with Vandeman more than I do with you, that is for sure!
> However, I am in favor of specially constructed bike trails in natural
> areas. However, Wilderness Areas are strictly for walkers. I NEVER want to
> see anyone on a bike in a Wilderness Area. Please review your Thoreau if
> you would like to know where I am coming from.

Are you as blind as Vandeman, too? Where have I said all areas need to be
open for cyclists? Where have I made any statement advocating Wilderness
areas open the rules to allow cycling? Are some Wilderness areas improperly
classified...? Yes. Are some recreation areas over-utilized? Yes. How do we
fix this disparity...?
Hey - I know! Lets continue to fight about bikes and singletrack and who
made who... Lets do this while the real natural areas are sold for
exploration or expansion and chip away at the available land for wildlife,
recreation or contemplation.

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> Who ever said anything about "all of nature"? I simply love people who
>>> claim superior intelligence then use supposition and emotion in their
>>> statements.

>> You are defending bikes on footpaths. This is not only wrongheaded, it is
>> immoral! That is why I get emotional.

> No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
> recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest lands
> that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you
> wish. Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
> transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to
> portray misinformation as truth.

I am not hard-hearted about this. I want you to enjoy the out-of-doors as I
have in the past. Those areas that have already been developed for multiple
use can stay as they are. But the one thing we need to be adding to our
nation's inventory of natural resources are more wilderness areas, not more
recreation areas.

>>> Actually, despite yours or Vandeman's insistance of opinion, hiking and
>>> off-road cycling have similar impacts. Both have capacity to be done
>>> carefully and carelessly. Both also have capacity to be utilized at
>>> times in the same areas or be seperated in others. Nobody has argued the
>>> existence of areas where human access is limited and bikes may not be
>>> permitted. What has been the case in contention with Vandeman is his
>>> insistence of the removal of all bikes from all areas. Multi-use
>>> recreational designations be damned. What is totally "wrongheaded" is to
>>> use emotion and opinion as the only measure of comparison for cycling
>>> and hiking and the reasons or benefits the two activities offer the
>>> participants. You say ride around Aspen... Vandeman has stated that
>>> scenario is unacceptable. His opinion has been no bikes off pavement
>>> under any circumstance. So which is it, Mr. "the Great"?

>> You can ride your bike around the TOWN of Aspen and down the ski slopes
>> there which I believe is what they are mainly used for in the summer
>> season. I do not want you riding your bike on the back country footpaths.

> If those "back country footpaths" are part of designated multi-use areas
> or recreation areas, then they are "singletrack" and open for cycling
> unless the local land managers designate otherwise. If these areas are
> already closed to cycling, what are you *****ing about?

Too many trails are designated single track when they are actually
footpaths. A single track suitable for bikes will have to have some
development for that purpose. If it hasn't had this devopment, then it
should be reserved strictly for hikers (walkers).

If they allow cycling...
> you can try to get them closed. However, take a lesson from Vandeman...
> You better have real information and real documented evidence because
> lies, opinion and biased science are meaningless. Vandeman has been
> presenting his opinion as fact for a dozen years and has earned nothing
> but ridicule. If you want to blame someone for any perceived degradation
> of trails from cyclists, blame Vandeman. It is his manipulation of
> information that has contributed to the focus of real and actual
> information on the part of cyclists that has either kept trails open or,
> in some cases, expanded access.

None of what you say above makes any sense. Those who manage our natural
resources do their own studies and come to their own conclusions. You have
obviously let your feud with Vandeman color your perceptions and judgments.

>>> Is it Vandeman's "no bikes off pavement anywhere" or is it our
>>> "multi-use recreation areas can share resources with cyclists". Are you
>>> going for opinion or reason?

Well, let's face it, "no bikes off pavement anywhere" is never going to fly
in this country. But still it is good to hear it. I like to be exposed to
extreme views. They refresh my own point of view. Your bias ought to be in
favor of fewer rather than more bikes in the wilderness. Vandeman is more
right than you are in his gut reaction to off-road bikes.

>> I tend to agree with Vandeman more than I do with you, that is for sure!
>> However, I am in favor of specially constructed bike trails in natural
>> areas. However, Wilderness Areas are strictly for walkers. I NEVER want
>> to see anyone on a bike in a Wilderness Area. Please review your Thoreau
>> if you would like to know where I am coming from.

> Are you as blind as Vandeman, too? Where have I said all areas need to be
> open for cyclists? Where have I made any statement advocating Wilderness
> areas open the rules to allow cycling? Are some Wilderness areas
> improperly classified...? Yes. Are some recreation areas over-utilized?
> Yes. How do we fix this disparity...?

I am using the word wilderness to describe any area that is relatively
unspoiled and roadless, whether designated wilderness or not. When I am
specifically referring to a designated wilderness, I will capitalize it so -
Wilderness Area.

> Hey - I know! Lets continue to fight about bikes and singletrack and who
> made who... Lets do this while the real natural areas are sold for
> exploration or expansion and chip away at the available land for wildlife,
> recreation or contemplation.

The latter is something separate altogether and I agree far more serious.
Development is ruining everything. Why the hell do people want to have homes
away from already established towns and cities anyway? Some rich slob,
instead of buying a home in Aspen, will build way out in a beautiful
mountain valley or on a mountain top, thereby ruining the vista for everyone
forever. We badly need laws forbidding all kinds of development.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

He KNOWS that's a LIE. See http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7.

Both have capacity to be done
>carefully and carelessly. Both also have capacity to be utilized at times in
>the same areas or be seperated in others. Nobody has argued the existence of
>areas where human access is limited and bikes may not be permitted. What has
>been the case in contention with Vandeman is his insistence of the removal
>of all bikes from all areas. Multi-use recreational designations be damned.
>What is totally "wrongheaded" is to use emotion and opinion as the only
>measure of comparison for cycling and hiking and the reasons or benefits the
>two activities offer the participants. You say ride around Aspen...
>Vandeman has stated that scenario is unacceptable. His opinion has been no
>bikes off pavement under any circumstance. So which is it, Mr. "the Great"?
>Is it Vandeman's "no bikes off pavement anywhere" or is it our "multi-use
>recreation areas can share resources with cyclists". Are you going for
>opinion or reason?
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>> aka
>> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 5 May 2006 22:35:17 -0400, "S Curtiss"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>> Who ever said anything about "all of nature"? I simply love people who
>>> claim superior intelligence then use supposition and emotion in their
>>> statements.

>> You are defending bikes on footpaths. This is not only wrongheaded, it is
>> immoral! That is why I get emotional.

>No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
>recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest lands
>that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you wish.
>Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to portray
>misinformation as truth.

But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time
to bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the
Sedona Five)! If you would be more concerned about telling the truth,
you MIGHT get some respect. Otherwise, NOT.

> [...]

>> However, I am in favor of specially constructed bike trails in natural
>> areas. However, Wilderness Areas are strictly for walkers. I NEVER want to
>> see anyone on a bike in a Wilderness Area. Please review your Thoreau if
>> you would like to know where I am coming from.

>Are you as blind as Vandeman, too? Where have I said all areas need to be
>open for cyclists? Where have I made any statement advocating Wilderness
>areas open the rules to allow cycling? Are some Wilderness areas improperly
>classified...? Yes. Are some recreation areas over-utilized? Yes. How do we
>fix this disparity...?
>Hey - I know! Lets continue to fight about bikes and singletrack and who
>made who... Lets do this while the real natural areas are sold for
>exploration or expansion and chip away at the available land for wildlife,

On Fri, 5 May 2006 22:17:58 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> [...]

>> of trails from cyclists, blame Vandeman. It is his manipulation of
>> information that has contributed to the focus of real and actual
>> information on the part of cyclists that has either kept trails open or,
>> in some cases, expanded access.

>None of what you say above makes any sense. Those who manage our natural
>resources do their own studies and come to their own conclusions. You have
>obviously let your feud with Vandeman color your perceptions and judgments.

>Well, let's face it, "no bikes off pavement anywhere" is never going to fly
>in this country. But still it is good to hear it. I like to be exposed to
>extreme views. They refresh my own point of view. Your bias ought to be in
>favor of fewer rather than more bikes in the wilderness. Vandeman is more
>right than you are in his gut reaction to off-road bikes.

It's not just a gut reaction. It is suported by science (conservation
biology) -- something mountain bikers don't know anything about.

>>> I tend to agree with Vandeman more than I do with you, that is for sure!
>>> However, I am in favor of specially constructed bike trails in natural
>>> areas. However, Wilderness Areas are strictly for walkers. I NEVER want
>>> to see anyone on a bike in a Wilderness Area. Please review your Thoreau
>>> if you would like to know where I am coming from.

>> Are you as blind as Vandeman, too? Where have I said all areas need to be
>> open for cyclists? Where have I made any statement advocating Wilderness
>> areas open the rules to allow cycling? Are some Wilderness areas
>> improperly classified...? Yes. Are some recreation areas over-utilized?
>> Yes. How do we fix this disparity...?

>I am using the word wilderness to describe any area that is relatively
>unspoiled and roadless, whether designated wilderness or not. When I am
>specifically referring to a designated wilderness, I will capitalize it so -
>Wilderness Area.
>
>> Hey - I know! Lets continue to fight about bikes and singletrack and who
>> made who... Lets do this while the real natural areas are sold for
>> exploration or expansion and chip away at the available land for wildlife,
>> recreation or contemplation.

>The latter is something separate altogether and I agree far more serious.
>Development is ruining everything. Why the hell do people want to have homes
>away from already established towns and cities anyway? Some rich slob,
>instead of buying a home in Aspen, will build way out in a beautiful
>mountain valley or on a mountain top, thereby ruining the vista for everyone
>forever. We badly need laws forbidding all kinds of development.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>>> No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
>>> recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest
>>> lands
>>> that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you
>>> wish. Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space
>>> is
>>> transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to
>>> portray misinformation as truth.

>>I am not hard-hearted about this. I want you to enjoy the out-of-doors as
>>have in the past. Those areas that have already been developed for
>>multiple
>>use can stay as they are. But the one thing we need to be adding to our
>>nation's inventory of natural resources are more wilderness areas, not
>>more
>>recreation areas.

And preventing natural areas (with or without trail designations) from being
developed. The natural footprint is getting smaller. Cooperation among all
interested should be the focus to keep the natural areas from being
destroyed. More space means more resource for everyone, recreation,
contemplation and wildlife.

>>> If those "back country footpaths" are part of designated multi-use areas
>>> or recreation areas, then they are "singletrack" and open for cycling
>>> unless the local land managers designate otherwise. If these areas are
>>> already closed to cycling, what are you *****ing about?

>>Too many trails are designated single track when they are actually
>>footpaths. A single track suitable for bikes will have to have some
>>development for that purpose. If it hasn't had this devopment, then it
>>should be reserved strictly for hikers (walkers).

That is among the points of contention. Who makes these determinations?
You...? Vandeman...? Me...?
It is cooperation and consistency of designation that will provide the best
solutions.

>>If they allow cycling...
>>> you can try to get them closed. However, take a lesson from Vandeman...
>>> You better have real information and real documented evidence because
>>> lies, opinion and biased science are meaningless. Vandeman has been
>>> presenting his opinion as fact for a dozen years and has earned nothing
>>> but ridicule. If you want to blame someone for any perceived degradation
>>> of trails from cyclists, blame Vandeman. It is his manipulation of
>>> information that has contributed to the focus of real and actual
>>> information on the part of cyclists that has either kept trails open or,
>>> in some cases, expanded access.

>>None of what you say above makes any sense. Those who manage our natural
>>resources do their own studies and come to their own conclusions. You have
>>obviously let your feud with Vandeman color your perceptions and
>>judgments.

Actually... Vandeman has been "quoting" the studies referenced by many of
these organizations for years. The issue is the manner he presents them.
Often with pieces of the context removed or completely disregarding the
researchers' conclusions and substituting his own. (Google groups search
"vandeman" offers examples of this going back years)
Beyond that, all of these organizations have, by law, access for public
comment and presentation when determining directions of action or study. It
is misinformation that clouds this process. I, and others who advocate
shared access cycling, have only challenged this misinformation. For our
efforts, we have been called liars, criminals, morons, idiots, and more.
Beyond that, we have been given nothing beyond his opinion, bias and points
to his own self-appointed authority and website as any answer whatsoever on
these challenges.

>>Well, let's face it, "no bikes off pavement anywhere" is never going to
>>fly
>>in this country. But still it is good to hear it. I like to be exposed to
>>extreme views. They refresh my own point of view. Your bias ought to be in
>>favor of fewer rather than more bikes in the wilderness. Vandeman is more
>>right than you are in his gut reaction to off-road bikes.

Where are we discussing bikes in "wilderness"? Wilderness designations do
not allow bicycles. There is a push for consistency of designation from
advocay organizations. However, among this discussion, I have seperated
"wilderness" from other areas open to off-road cycling.

> It's not just a gut reaction. It is suported by science (conservation
> biology) -- something mountain bikers don't know anything about.

Opinion... see the International Mountain Biking Association website for
many references and discussions of knowledge and real information. To say
mountain bikers "know nothing" simply because they offer a different
opinion, viewpoint or reference of information is ludicrous.

>>> Are you as blind as Vandeman, too? Where have I said all areas need to
>>> be
>>> open for cyclists? Where have I made any statement advocating Wilderness
>>> areas open the rules to allow cycling? Are some Wilderness areas
>>> improperly classified...? Yes. Are some recreation areas over-utilized?
>>> Yes. How do we fix this disparity...?

>>I am using the word wilderness to describe any area that is relatively
>>unspoiled and roadless, whether designated wilderness or not. When I am
>>specifically referring to a designated wilderness, I will capitalize it
>>so -
>>Wilderness Area.
>>
>>> Hey - I know! Lets continue to fight about bikes and singletrack and who
>>> made who... Lets do this while the real natural areas are sold for
>>> exploration or expansion and chip away at the available land for
>>> wildlife,
>>> recreation or contemplation.

>>The latter is something separate altogether and I agree far more serious.
>>Development is ruining everything. Why the hell do people want to have
>>homes
>>away from already established towns and cities anyway? Some rich slob,
>>instead of buying a home in Aspen, will build way out in a beautiful
>>mountain valley or on a mountain top, thereby ruining the vista for
>>everyone
>>forever. We badly need laws forbidding all kinds of development.

For this line, I would agree. You may also include the instances of natural
area development instead of re-using areas and land within city limits
fallen into disrepair or sitting empty. I have seen over and over a new
office be built when another sits empty. There simply is no consistency in
zoning, or enforcement of zoning. Often, a little money gets a zoning
designation changed before the public is aware and can speak against it. If
consistency of zoning (and designation of natural areas) were followed, it
is likely this process could be better controlled.

>>Regards,
>>
>>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>>aka
>>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
>>

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Thu, 4 May 2006 12:57:38 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>Actually, despite yours or Vandeman's insistance of opinion, hiking and
>>off-road cycling have similar impacts.

> He KNOWS that's a LIE. See http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7.

We do not recognize your opinion backed up by pointing to your own website
as support for that opinion. In 12 years, you have yet to offer an
authority, another environmentalist or actual scientist to support your
extremist and biased opinions. Referencing your own writings as an authority
of reference is meaningless since nobody with the power to do so has
appointed or acknowledged you as an authority.

On Sun, 7 May 2006 13:04:58 -0400, "S Curtiss"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>>I am not hard-hearted about this. I want you to enjoy the out-of-doors as
>>>have in the past. Those areas that have already been developed for
>>>multiple
>>>use can stay as they are. But the one thing we need to be adding to our
>>>nation's inventory of natural resources are more wilderness areas, not
>>>more
>>>recreation areas.

>And preventing natural areas (with or without trail designations) from being
>developed. The natural footprint is getting smaller. Cooperation among all
>interested should be the focus to keep the natural areas from being
>destroyed.

Then you should support bike bans, because mountain biking destroys
habitat.

> [...]

>fallen into disrepair or sitting empty. I have seen over and over a new
>office be built when another sits empty. There simply is no consistency in
>zoning, or enforcement of zoning. Often, a little money gets a zoning
>designation changed before the public is aware and can speak against it. If
>consistency of zoning (and designation of natural areas) were followed, it
>is likely this process could be better controlled.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>>>aka
>>>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
>>>

>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

On Sun, 7 May 2006 13:13:24 -0400, "S Curtiss"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 4 May 2006 12:57:38 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>>Actually, despite yours or Vandeman's insistance of opinion, hiking and
>>>off-road cycling have similar impacts.

>> He KNOWS that's a LIE. See http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7.

>We do not recognize your opinion backed up by pointing to your own website
>as support for that opinion. In 12 years, you have yet to offer an
>authority, another environmentalist or actual scientist to support your
>extremist and biased opinions.

OOPS, there you go LYING again. Actually, Yosemite National Park and
many other parks agree with me and ban bikes off-road. The Wisdom et
al study also provides scientific support, showing that mountain
biking has greater impacts on wildlife than hiking. Of course, you
already KNEW that, making your statement a conscious LIE, and
demonstrating once again that all montain bikers lie.

Referencing your own writings as an authority
>of reference is meaningless since nobody with the power to do so has
>appointed or acknowledged you as an authority.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>>No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
>>recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest lands
>>that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you
>>wish.
>>Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>>transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to
>>portray
>>misinformation as truth.

> But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
> were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time
> to bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the
> Sedona Five)! If you would be more concerned about telling the truth,
> you MIGHT get some respect. Otherwise, NOT.

Wow! Five people! Dammit! The Clinton administration was corrupt, wasn't it?
"District 6 Officers worked directed patrols on the trails at Starved Rock
State Park last weekend. The patrols focused on hiking off trails. Recently
there have been a number of falls and search and rescue missions at the
park. The falls have been from illegal hiking and climbing off designated
trails at the park. There were a number of warnings issued for
hiking/climbing off the trails."

What do you propose can be extrapolated from this? Hikers are invading space
and endangering themselves and their surroundings so the activity should be
banned completely? A few people do bad things so everyone else must be doing
it too?

Your logic of applying the actions of a few to convict everyone is
hysterical! Yet you claim science and authority? Patheticly transparent!

>>>No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
>>>recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest
>>>lands
>>>that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you
>>>wish.
>>>Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>>>transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to
>>>portray
>>>misinformation as truth.

>> But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
>> were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time
>> to bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the
>> Sedona Five)! If you would be more concerned about telling the truth,
>> you MIGHT get some respect. Otherwise, NOT.

> Wow! Five people! Dammit! The Clinton administration was corrupt, wasn't
> it?
> "District 6 Officers worked directed patrols on the trails at Starved Rock
> State Park last weekend. The patrols focused on hiking off trails.
> Recently there have been a number of falls and search and rescue missions
> at the park. The falls have been from illegal hiking and climbing off
> designated trails at the park. There were a number of warnings issued for
> hiking/climbing off the trails."
>
> What do you propose can be extrapolated from this? Hikers are invading
> space and endangering themselves and their surroundings so the activity
> should be banned completely? A few people do bad things so everyone else
> must be doing it too?
>
> Your logic of applying the actions of a few to convict everyone is
> hysterical! Yet you claim science and authority? Patheticly transparent!

Curtiss, there is something wrong with the way your brain works! You cannot
compare five mountain bikers biking the trail into the Grand Canyon with
hikers getting off the trails. All hikers like to wander off the trails to
do a bit of exploring. I have done it myself many times. But that Grand
Canyon thing that Vandeman presented is an absolutely outrageous example of
violation of the regulations and the very spirit sprit of the National
Parks. Why are you always comparing apples with oranges?

I recently read a book about the history of the National Park's search and
rescue attempts over their entire history. You would not believe how much
trouble hikers can get into. The very worst event in the book was about this
group that went hiking into one of those slot canyons in Utah and were wiped
out by a flash flood. Most of the misadventures have to do with mountain
climbers of course, but I do not really have much sympathy for them. After
all, they are doing something inherently dangerous. But you do not normally
think of hiking as being dangerous, yet very strange things can happen
nonetheless.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

On Sun, 7 May 2006 15:15:30 -0400, "S Curtiss"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>>No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
>>>recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest lands
>>>that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you
>>>wish.
>>>Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
>>>transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to
>>>portray
>>>misinformation as truth.

>> But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
>> were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time
>> to bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the
>> Sedona Five)! If you would be more concerned about telling the truth,
>> you MIGHT get some respect. Otherwise, NOT.

>Wow! Five people! Dammit! The Clinton administration was corrupt, wasn't it?

No, the mountain bikers are.

>"District 6 Officers worked directed patrols on the trails at Starved Rock
>State Park last weekend. The patrols focused on hiking off trails. Recently
>there have been a number of falls and search and rescue missions at the
>park. The falls have been from illegal hiking and climbing off designated
>trails at the park. There were a number of warnings issued for
>hiking/climbing off the trails."
>
>What do you propose can be extrapolated from this? Hikers are invading space
>and endangering themselves and their surroundings so the activity should be
>banned completely? A few people do bad things so everyone else must be doing
>it too?
>
>Your logic of applying the actions of a few to convict everyone is
>hysterical! Yet you claim science and authority? Patheticly transparent!

BS. I simply pointed out your lie.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sun, 7 May 2006 13:04:58 -0400, "S Curtiss"

>>And preventing natural areas (with or without trail designations) from
>>being
>>developed. The natural footprint is getting smaller. Cooperation among all
>>interested should be the focus to keep the natural areas from being
>>destroyed.

> Then you should support bike bans, because mountain biking destroys
> habitat.

You have yet to show anywhere that off-road cycling destroys habitat. You
have show a few examples of poor behavior and assigned that to every
off-road cyclist. You have presented selected bits from others' writings and
attempted to place your conclusions as more valid than those who conducted
the studies you reference. You have attempted to place yourself as an
authority on the subject of off-road cycling without any authoritative
support or reference and then point back upon your own opinions as support
for your... opinions. How stupid is that? You say "mountain biking is bad"
and than point at your own website with your own opinions to support
yourself saying "mountain biking is bad".

> More space means more resource for everyone, recreation, contemplation and
> wildlife.

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...

> "S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
>>> were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time
>>> to bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the
>>> Sedona Five)! If you would be more concerned about telling the truth,
>>> you MIGHT get some respect. Otherwise, NOT.

>> Wow! Five people! Dammit! The Clinton administration was corrupt, wasn't
>> it?
>> "District 6 Officers worked directed patrols on the trails at Starved
>> Rock State Park last weekend. The patrols focused on hiking off trails.
>> Recently there have been a number of falls and search and rescue missions
>> at the park. The falls have been from illegal hiking and climbing off
>> designated trails at the park. There were a number of warnings issued for
>> hiking/climbing off the trails."
>>
>> What do you propose can be extrapolated from this? Hikers are invading
>> space and endangering themselves and their surroundings so the activity
>> should be banned completely? A few people do bad things so everyone else
>> must be doing it too?
>>
>> Your logic of applying the actions of a few to convict everyone is
>> hysterical! Yet you claim science and authority? Patheticly transparent!

> Curtiss, there is something wrong with the way your brain works! You
> cannot compare five mountain bikers biking the trail into the Grand Canyon
> with hikers getting off the trails. All hikers like to wander off the
> trails to do a bit of exploring. I have done it myself many times. But
> that Grand Canyon thing that Vandeman presented is an absolutely
> outrageous example of violation of the regulations and the very spirit
> sprit of the National Parks. Why are you always comparing apples with
> oranges?

A few morons who act irresponsibly offers no grounds to indict every
individual who has ever ridden down a trail. It is Vandeman's implication
that the actions of 5 individuals condemn the larger majority of
individuals. I only point out the hypocrisy in his statements. He does not
get to condemn me on someone else's action. He does not get to state
off-road cycling be banned by claiming all cyclists widen trails, trample
vegetation, and kill animals but skip over the same actions of the group he
claims to be a member of. If you want to call yourself "elite" and "the
Great" and support hypocrisy and lies.... Have at it.

> I recently read a book about the history of the National Park's search and
> rescue attempts over their entire history. You would not believe how much
> trouble hikers can get into. The very worst event in the book was about
> this group that went hiking into one of those slot canyons in Utah and
> were wiped out by a flash flood. Most of the misadventures have to do with
> mountain climbers of course, but I do not really have much sympathy for
> them. After all, they are doing something inherently dangerous. But you do
> not normally think of hiking as being dangerous, yet very strange things
> can happen nonetheless.

>>> But it IS true! During the Clinton administration the National Parks
>>> were closed for a while. Five mountain bikers decided to use that time
>>> to bike in to the Grand Canyon. They were caught and jailed (the
>>> Sedona Five)! If you would be more concerned about telling the truth,
>>> you MIGHT get some respect. Otherwise, NOT.

>>Wow! Five people! Dammit! The Clinton administration was corrupt, wasn't
>>it?

> No, the mountain bikers are.
>
>>"District 6 Officers worked directed patrols on the trails at Starved Rock
>>State Park last weekend. The patrols focused on hiking off trails.
>>Recently
>>there have been a number of falls and search and rescue missions at the
>>park. The falls have been from illegal hiking and climbing off designated
>>trails at the park. There were a number of warnings issued for
>>hiking/climbing off the trails."
>>
>>What do you propose can be extrapolated from this? Hikers are invading
>>space
>>and endangering themselves and their surroundings so the activity should
>>be
>>banned completely? A few people do bad things so everyone else must be
>>doing
>>it too?
>>
>>Your logic of applying the actions of a few to convict everyone is
>>hysterical! Yet you claim science and authority? Patheticly transparent!

> BS. I simply pointed out your lie.

You bring in 6,7,8 year old story about 5 people riding illegaly (and
stupidly) in the Grand Canyon and expect anyone to believe you proven
anything about my statement...? Let's review:
"No... I am defending bikes on singletrack in designated multi-use and
recreation areas. You have Wilderness areas and many National Forest lands
that are off-limits to bikes. You can hike without bikes any time you wish.
Your attempt to state that cyclists are invading your every space is
transparaent because it is not happening. What is wrongheaded is to portray
misinformation as truth."

Do you deny there are currently Wilderness areas that are off limits to
bicycles? Do you deny there are areas of National Forest that are off limits
to bicycles? Do you deny the Bureau of Land Management Wilderness Acreage
average of 5,240,000 acres. (1998 numbers. But you often quote studies as
old or older...) And Wilderness designations do not allow bikes, do they...?

So... By stating you point out a "lie" when there is not one... is a LIE.
Is it not, Michael J. Vandeman, PhD?

> ===

> On Sun, 7 May 2006 13:13:24 -0400, "S Curtiss"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> He KNOWS that's a LIE. See http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7.

>>We do not recognize your opinion backed up by pointing to your own website
>>as support for that opinion. In 12 years, you have yet to offer an
>>authority, another environmentalist or actual scientist to support your
>>extremist and biased opinions.

> OOPS, there you go LYING again. Actually, Yosemite National Park and
> many other parks agree with me and ban bikes off-road.

It has been established Yosemite and "many other parks" and forest areas are
unique, incredibly fragile or simply inaccessible and cary designations that
do not allow off-road cycling and many other types of recreation.
That is not to say that in areas where recreation and multi-use exist that
cycling and hiking are dissimilar in the impact. It only means that some
areas carry a more strict definition of access. Your determination that all
areas be off-limits to bicycles is the contention.
> The Wisdom et
> al study also provides scientific support, showing that mountain
> biking has greater impacts on wildlife than hiking. Of course, you
> already KNEW that, making your statement a conscious LIE, and
> demonstrating once again that all montain bikers lie.

Wrong again. You've already mentioned that once in this thread and abandoned
it:

From April 30 2006
>>> That is a bald-faced LIE. Wisdom et al came to the opposite
>>> conclusion, which you well know.

>>Nope. That study recommended a holistic approach to managing outdoor
>>recreation with regards to habitat involved. "Although these details are
>>not yet available, managers could begin to consider holistic management
>>strategies for all off-road activities based on our current findings. Some
>>watersheds might feature opportunities for ATV or mountain bike riding,
>>for example, while other watersheds might focus on opportunities for
>>horseback
>>riding or hiking."

>>Plus, the actual response data from that study showed little significant
>>differences between hiking and cycling and larger differences for
>>motorized
>>traffic.

> That is another bald-faced lie! There was no "motorized traffic" in
> the study! You are just one lie after another....

So, it is your contention that the vehicles referred to as ATVs in the study
you mention do not have "motors"...? Are you actually trying to say that the
All Terrain Vehicles (ATV) mentioned in the "Wisdom et all" study you
referenced are not powered by gasoline fueled internal combustion motors...?
So what makes these ATVs in the "Wisdom et al" study go...? Is it magic...?
Is it pomegranate juice...?
Did you sit down at your computer with your clown make-up on again...?

End quote of April 30, 2006

The Wisdom study is only useful if taken as a whole and in context. You only
pull little bits out of context and re-write the conclusions based on your
whims, desires, opinions or bias. That is obvious. It is documented time
again. (Google group search "vandeman" has it all)

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>>
>> "S Curtiss" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>> Wow! Five people! Dammit! The Clinton administration was corrupt, wasn't
>>> it?
>>> "District 6 Officers worked directed patrols on the trails at Starved
>>> Rock State Park last weekend. The patrols focused on hiking off trails.
>>> Recently there have been a number of falls and search and rescue
>>> missions at the park. The falls have been from illegal hiking and
>>> climbing off designated trails at the park. There were a number of
>>> warnings issued for hiking/climbing off the trails."
>>>
>>> What do you propose can be extrapolated from this? Hikers are invading
>>> space and endangering themselves and their surroundings so the activity
>>> should be banned completely? A few people do bad things so everyone else
>>> must be doing it too?
>>>
>>> Your logic of applying the actions of a few to convict everyone is
>>> hysterical! Yet you claim science and authority? Patheticly transparent!

>> Curtiss, there is something wrong with the way your brain works! You
>> cannot compare five mountain bikers biking the trail into the Grand
>> Canyon with hikers getting off the trails. All hikers like to wander off
>> the trails to do a bit of exploring. I have done it myself many times.
>> But that Grand Canyon thing that Vandeman presented is an absolutely
>> outrageous example of violation of the regulations and the very spirit
>> sprit of the National Parks. Why are you always comparing apples with
>> oranges?

> A few morons who act irresponsibly offers no grounds to indict every
> individual who has ever ridden down a trail. It is Vandeman's implication
> that the actions of 5 individuals condemn the larger majority of
> individuals. I only point out the hypocrisy in his statements. He does not
> get to condemn me on someone else's action. He does not get to state
> off-road cycling be banned by claiming all cyclists widen trails, trample
> vegetation, and kill animals but skip over the same actions of the group
> he claims to be a member of. If you want to call yourself "elite" and
> "the Great" and support hypocrisy and lies.... Have at it.

Point taken, but your example of hikers getting off the trails was
ridiculous. Hells Bells, I would never even go hiking at all if I could not
do a bit of exploring off the trail.