Re: Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?



C

Curtis L. Russell

Guest
On 12 Jul 2004 23:23:27 -0700, [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:

>I mean globally. Name the favourites for the 10 WC races and the
>favourites for the three GT's at the start of the season. You'll get
>about the same number of names.


Perhaps, but if they were to approach it classic by classic, the total
list would be much larger for the classics in most years (no doubt
there are years that the one-day racers were thin in talent and/or
dominated by one racer).

Its the naming the favorites at the start of the season that might
cause it to be a closer number. It makes it more an issue of naming
the favorites in one-day races for the year than naming the favorites
for actually winning any one of the classics and compiling a list. I
think the second list would usually be significantly larger than the
first.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
 
T

Tim McNamara

Guest
[email protected]ospam (Tom Paterson) writes:

>>From: Tim McNamara

>
>> I sent postcards from France to the US but can't remember how much
>>it cost in 2002.

>
> Ha ha, me too, same year. I'll guess so someone will correct me:
> about "Euro .90". Mailed a stack and it cost some "lunch money", I
> thought about 3x USPS at the time. The French PO setup reminded me
> of home (incindiary comment intended to provoke). --TP


Hah! Rick Steve's _Paris 2002_ book mentioned the French post
office, noting that "French postal workers are just as friendly and
multilingual as our own."
 
J

Jim Adney

Guest
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:37:33 -0500 Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:


>> as I recall, those rates and protocols are negotiated bilaterally
>> between national postal services directly and multilaterally through
>> the Universal Postal Union.

>
>Huh. There's a body I've never heard of. Thanks. Even though I mail
>things internationally, I'd never thought of this before Mark's post.


I thought it was the International Postal Union. Same concept though.

-
-----------------------------------------------
Jim Adney [email protected]
Madison, WI 53711 USA
-----------------------------------------------
 
L

Luigi de Guzman

Guest
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:17:29 -0500, Jim Adney <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:37:33 -0500 Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:

>
>>> as I recall, those rates and protocols are negotiated bilaterally
>>> between national postal services directly and multilaterally through
>>> the Universal Postal Union.

>>
>>Huh. There's a body I've never heard of. Thanks. Even though I mail
>>things internationally, I'd never thought of this before Mark's post.

>
>I thought it was the International Postal Union. Same concept though.


I did, too. I was corrected, though. It is the UPU, an acronym which
happily is the same in French as in English (I believe).

Their HQ is in Geneva, and as I recall, they are generally listed as a
special technical organ of the United Nations these days (along with
other umbrella bodies like ISO.)

You can read all about them at their website, <http://www.upu.int/> .
Note that the main colour is Yellow, which seems to mean "post" in
most places, except the Britain and its dependencies (where the
postboxes are red) and the USA (where they're blue).

Bike content: Re-Cycle, the used bicycle shop in Elephant and Castle
in London from time to time sell used surplus Royal Mail delivery
bikes. I really wanted to get one when I was there, but I couldn't
afford it, and bought my pink bike instead.

-Luigi

>
>-
>-----------------------------------------------
> Jim Adney [email protected]
> Madison, WI 53711 USA
>-----------------------------------------------
 
K

Kenny

Guest
Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 12 Jul 2004 23:23:27 -0700, [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
>
> >I mean globally. Name the favourites for the 10 WC races and the
> >favourites for the three GT's at the start of the season. You'll get
> >about the same number of names.

>
> Perhaps, but if they were to approach it classic by classic, the total
> list would be much larger for the classics in most years (no doubt
> there are years that the one-day racers were thin in talent and/or
> dominated by one racer).
>
> Its the naming the favorites at the start of the season that might
> cause it to be a closer number. It makes it more an issue of naming
> the favorites in one-day races for the year than naming the favorites
> for actually winning any one of the classics and compiling a list. I
> think the second list would usually be significantly larger than the
> first.


Agreed if you name it classic by classic. But then you should do the
same for each tourstage. Then you also have a lot of different names.
I don't think you can make a comparison between individual classics
and a whole GT. if you do so, ofcourse you're right, but this way,
it doesn't mean a thing. If you want to compare, do so with the
WorldCup ("a 10 long stage race") and a GT (a 20 stage race) and
you'll have the same number of names.
 
M

Mike1

Guest

> Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?



Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.

--
Reply to [email protected]@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
-- Jeffrey Quick
 
C

Clovis Lark

Guest
In rec.bicycles.racing Mike1 <Mitchell-Holma[email protected]> wrote:

>> Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?



Because they weren't hard earned...

> Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.


> --
> Reply to [email protected]@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.


> Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
> -- Jeffrey Quick
 
Q

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Guest
Mitchell-<< Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?


Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.
>><BR><BR>


be sure to not watch Discovery channel and to boycott all the products
advertised there if you really don't like paying for bike teams.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
M

Mike1

Guest
[Formatting a post for consumption by human-beings is not difficult.]

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote:
>Mike wrote:
>>Mitchell wrote:
>>>Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

>>
>>Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.

>
>be sure to not watch Discovery channel and to boycott all the products
>advertised there if you really don't like paying for bike teams.



I would be mildly entertained to watch you attempt to apply actual logic
to that crashing non-sequitur.

--
Reply to [email protected]@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
-- Jeffrey Quick
 
S

S o r n i

Guest
Mike1 wrote:
> [Formatting a post for consumption by human-beings is not difficult.]


We've come to accept Peter's unique posting style, due in no small part to
its abundance of substance.

> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote:


>> be sure to not watch Discovery channel and to boycott all the
>> products advertised there if you really don't like paying for bike
>> teams.

>


> I would be mildly entertained to watch you attempt to apply actual
> logic to that crashing non-sequitur.


Not a really smart idea to insult one of the regular quality contributors to
a newsgroup before establishing oneself as a worthwhile member; somehow
don't think you've made that grade yet.

Bill "no soup for you...ONE YEAR" S.
 
T

Tom Sherman

Guest
Mike1 wrote:

> [Formatting a post for consumption by human-beings is not difficult.]
>
> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote:
>
>>Mike wrote:
>>
>>>Mitchell wrote:
>>>
>>>>Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?
>>>
>>>Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.

>>
>>be sure to not watch Discovery channel and to boycott all the products
>>advertised there if you really don't like paying for bike teams.

>
>
>
> I would be mildly entertained to watch you attempt to apply actual logic
> to that crashing non-sequitur.


Peter's post makes much more sense if one is aware that this year's US
Postal Team will be the Discovery Channel Team after the current
sponsorship deal expires.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area
 
D

DRS

Guest
"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Mike1 wrote:
>> [Formatting a post for consumption by human-beings is not difficult.]

>
> We've come to accept Peter's unique posting style,


Have we?

--

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?
 
M

Mike1

Guest
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>Mike1 wrote
>>>>Mitchell wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?
>>>>
>>>>Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.
>>>
>>>be sure to not watch Discovery channel and to boycott all the products
>>>advertised there if you really don't like paying for bike teams.

>>
>> I would be mildly entertained to watch you attempt to apply actual logic
>> to that crashing non-sequitur.

>
>Peter's post makes much more sense if one is aware that this year's US
>Postal Team will be the Discovery Channel Team after the current
>sponsorship deal expires.



.....and a sponsorship has what in common with the burning of
"hard-earned tax dollars"?

Still not seeing an out for the non-sequitur.

--
Reply to [email protected]@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
-- Jeffrey Quick