Re: Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:37:33 -0500 Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:

>> as I recall, those rates and protocols are negotiated bilaterally
>> between national postal services directly and multilaterally through
>> the Universal Postal Union.

>Huh. There's a body I've never heard of. Thanks. Even though I mail
>things internationally, I'd never thought of this before Mark's post.

I thought it was the International Postal Union. Same concept though.

-
Jim Adney [email protected]
Madison, WI 53711 USA

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 19:17:29 -0500, Jim Adney <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:37:33 -0500 Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:

>>> as I recall, those rates and protocols are negotiated bilaterally
>>> between national postal services directly and multilaterally through
>>> the Universal Postal Union.

>>Huh. There's a body I've never heard of. Thanks. Even though I mail
>>things internationally, I'd never thought of this before Mark's post.

>I thought it was the International Postal Union. Same concept though.

I did, too. I was corrected, though. It is the UPU, an acronym which
happily is the same in French as in English (I believe).

Their HQ is in Geneva, and as I recall, they are generally listed as a
special technical organ of the United Nations these days (along with
other umbrella bodies like ISO.)

You can read all about them at their website, <http://www.upu.int/> .
Note that the main colour is Yellow, which seems to mean "post" in
most places, except the Britain and its dependencies (where the
postboxes are red) and the USA (where they're blue).

Bike content: Re-Cycle, the used bicycle shop in Elephant and Castle
in London from time to time sell used surplus Royal Mail delivery
bikes. I really wanted to get one when I was there, but I couldn't
afford it, and bought my pink bike instead.

-Luigi

Curtis L. Russell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 12 Jul 2004 23:23:27 -0700, [email protected] (Kenny) wrote:
>
> >I mean globally. Name the favourites for the 10 WC races and the
> >favourites for the three GT's at the start of the season. You'll get
> >about the same number of names.

> Perhaps, but if they were to approach it classic by classic, the total
> list would be much larger for the classics in most years (no doubt
> there are years that the one-day racers were thin in talent and/or
> dominated by one racer).
>
> Its the naming the favorites at the start of the season that might
> cause it to be a closer number. It makes it more an issue of naming
> the favorites in one-day races for the year than naming the favorites
> for actually winning any one of the classics and compiling a list. I
> think the second list would usually be significantly larger than the
> first.

Agreed if you name it classic by classic. But then you should do the
same for each tourstage. Then you also have a lot of different names.
I don't think you can make a comparison between individual classics
and a whole GT. if you do so, ofcourse you're right, but this way,
it doesn't mean a thing. If you want to compare, do so with the
WorldCup ("a 10 long stage race") and a GT (a 20 stage race) and
you'll have the same number of names.

> Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Why, because you mailed the check in, as is expected of a good peasant.

--
Reply to mike1@@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
-- Jeffrey Quick

In rec.bicycles.racing Mike1 <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Why do my hard earned tax dollars support a bike team?

Because they weren't hard earned...