Re: why is it called a side hop?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by one wheeled stallion, May 29, 2004.

  1. > And can you guys believe that I can do a leg-around-seat mount to side
    > hopping?

    We need videos! And of the other crazy stuff!!!

    --
    one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

    OWS

    "...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
    one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

  2. Sorry, guys, but you'll just have to wait until my all-girls EXtreme
    Unicycling movie comes out to see awesome stuff like that.....hehe or
    well at least wait until the trailer, k?

    --
    unipsychogirl

    ~Sara C.

    "I CAN JUMP OVER YOUR HONOR STUDENT ON MY UNICYCLE!!!" -me to old lady
    at festival

    "I BET YOU CAN!" -old lady, without a clue as to what a "unicycle" is

    ([email protected]) (A.I.M. S.N: "unipsychogirl" but mostly on
    as "violpunk") )--O

    My lame claim to the sorta-hall-of-fame (I'm in shame):
    http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/unicon11/results/IUF02_Juggling.html
    unipsychogirl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4356

  3. Checkernuts

    Checkernuts Guest

    A side hop comes to us from Bike Trials. In Bike trials a side hop is
    used by riders who approach an object by riding parallel to it then
    stopping and jumping up and to the side. This is in contrast to a bunny
    hop where you are hopping forward.

    The technique on a bike has nothing to do with distance you can hop to
    the side, rather how high you can jump to the side. Check out
    Biketrials.com to see a video of this.

    Chex

    --
    Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    My circus train pulls throught the night, full of lions and trapize
    artists, I'm done with elephants and clowns, I want to runaway and join
    the office.
    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

  4. Checkernuts wrote:
    > *A side hop comes to us from Bike Trials. In Bike trials a side hop is
    > used by riders who approach an object by riding parallel to it then
    > stopping and jumping up and to the side. This is in contrast to a
    > bunny hop where you are hopping forward.
    > *

    Yup, thats why it's called a side hop. the term bunny hop usually isn't
    used in unicycling, though. It's either a side hop or a rolling hop. You
    can also hop forward on to something from a stillstand, but I don't know
    of a name for that.

    To clarify further, hopping laterally for distance in a trials line is
    called a gap. Hopping for distance on flat ground is called a long
    jump.

    Ben

    --
    Ben Plotkin-Swing

    www.benps.com

    "Every truly great accomplishment is at first impossible" -Fortune
    cookie.
    Ben Plotkin-Swing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/378

  5. I usually call a static front hop simply a front hop.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?